Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 2:18 am

I was recently offered a job at a nonprofit as a result of my volunteer work. I asked my father to help me negotiate a wage (they asked what I needed), and a suitable agreement was reached. I know that the director of 20 years does not allow unapproved overtime, and here in California, anything over an eight-hour shift is considered overtime. I want to create a second copy of my time sheet wherein I've moved anything over 8 hours into other shifts. I've had to stay to do my job. I intend to retain my original time sheet in case of dispute. I want only to be paid for the time that I worked, and overtime is not necessary. I don't want to lose this job, and I know that I'm committing an illegal action, but I could be fired for not respecting the overtime policy. Is my adjusted time sheet okay (total hours the same; no overtime)? I've worked there for a month, so having my unemployment adjusted (if I lost the job) would be a hardship.

Time sheet is due by 2 PM, Wednesday the 26th, PST.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 4:19 am

chaotik_lord wrote:
I was recently offered a job at a nonprofit as a result of my volunteer work. I asked my father to help me negotiate a wage (they asked what I needed), and a suitable agreement was reached. I know that the director of 20 years does not allow unapproved overtime, and here in California, anything over an eight-hour shift is considered overtime. I want to create a second copy of my time sheet wherein I've moved anything over 8 hours into other shifts. I've had to stay to do my job. I intend to retain my original time sheet in case of dispute. I want only to be paid for the time that I worked, and overtime is not necessary. I don't want to lose this job, and I know that I'm committing an illegal action, but I could be fired for not respecting the overtime policy. Is my adjusted time sheet okay (total hours the same; no overtime)? I've worked there for a month, so having my unemployment adjusted (if I lost the job) would be a hardship.

Time sheet is due by 2 PM, Wednesday the 26th, PST.

You may want to talk to an attorney versed in labor law for his opinion on what to do.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 8:54 am

If they don't want you to work overtime, don't work overtime. :)

Drehmaschine
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 7:45 am

Cheating your time card is not a good idea. They will fire you when they find out. Just be honest and say you had to finish something.