Internship Interview: What to wear!?!?!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

BusterBluth
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Aug 2013, 11:39 am

I'm a current grad student and just got an interview with a business in midtown manhattan. My first instinct is to wear a suit and tie, but that always makes me feel like a big, dressed up, monkey. Also, I don't think my sports coat really fits anymore (It's been ages since I've worn it). What do you guys think is appropriate attire for an interview like this?

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 12:25 pm

Even though it is uncomfortable, i would still advise wearing the business suit and tie. One rule i learned is that being overdressed in an interview won't hurt your chances but being underdressed could.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Aug 2013, 2:01 pm

I agree with ghoti. Also, being dressed nicely (even overdressed) will make a prospective employer consider paying you more. I understand this is an internship, but it is a good habit to dress professionally when being interviewed.

mitch413
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Aug 2013, 5:14 pm

I was just offered a job at a company that has a business casual dress code, but I wore a suit to the interview. It's always safest to wear a suit when interviewing for a white collar, corporate job.

Besides a lot of businesses in midtown Manhattan are probably fairly formal, so I'd go with a suit and tie just to be sure.