Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

07 Aug 2013, 4:42 pm

EquestriatoLA has seen his state's (Washington) Department of Vocational Rehab. They took some career assessments, and found out that one job I am well suited for is photography.

With this said, does anybody have any advice about working in this field? I think that this may be a way to showcase my creativity.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 7:20 pm

There's a thread on this subject somewhere in the arts sections.

Basically, almost all photography jobs require you to work with people very closely. There's the model, and assistants, unless you do family portraits which means interacting with complete strangers who may or may not be motivated to listen to what you say.
It's pretty rare to get a career in art photography. I was at the Pebble Beach Concours last year, and saw a lady photographer taking pictures. I told her (in a rare moment of bravery) that I want to get paid for taking pictures of cars. She replied 'good luck' because antique cars are just one of many subjects she takes pictures of.
Which is not to say it's impossible.

I'm posting my best pictures on Deviantart, and that website is a real eye opener as which pictures get the most responses. (Here's a hint, beautiful women with no clothing get the most comments.)

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 10:17 pm

It's a cut throat job. The money in photography is working with people, weddings, portraits, engagements, etc.

And while the better your work, the better your pay, also, the bat shitt crazier the brides get.

I work budget weddings. I make about 500 bucks for 5 hours of shooting and a few hours of editing RAW images.

You should expect to need to work a second job until you establish yourself.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

09 Aug 2013, 11:03 pm

^ As far as that second job goes, what do you recommend?

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

10 Aug 2013, 4:27 am

That's true, in some professions like Photography, you may not make a lot of money and your salary may be inconsistent. For example, you can make 5000 dollars in a month and that will be for 3 months and all the sudden make 2000 a month for 9 months, which leads to 23000 dollars per year. But I am going to say that if you have good enough connections to get each job possible, and having the patience to deal with customers, then I totally suggest to go for it then!