Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 9:21 am

Got my notice today. Worked as a paralegal for a year, and I pretty much hated it every day. Boss is a nice guy, but horrible to work for as we're too different to work well together...and he needs someone who is more of a people person.

He'll pay my insurance premium for December and would like to give me a month's pay as severance if he can swing it, but next week he wants to bring in a new person to start learning the job.

I guess I better beg for that job bagging groceries so I have a paycheck coming in and hope my recent job applications bear fruit. I've been trying like crazy to find a better job for me since about the second month with this guy. :(

Superflynurse
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Nov 2013, 10:52 am

zer0netgain wrote:
Got my notice today. Worked as a paralegal for a year, and I pretty much hated it every day. Boss is a nice guy, but horrible to work for as we're too different to work well together...and he needs someone who is more of a people person.

He'll pay my insurance premium for December and would like to give me a month's pay as severance if he can swing it, but next week he wants to bring in a new person to start learning the job.

I guess I better beg for that job bagging groceries so I have a paycheck coming in and hope my recent job applications bear fruit. I've been trying like crazy to find a better job for me since about the second month with this guy. :(

I'm sorry about you losing your job. I know how you feel. It took me a long time to find my niche and hopefully one day you will too.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 11:10 am

Superflynurse wrote:
I'm sorry about you losing your job. I know how you feel. It took me a long time to find my niche and hopefully one day you will too.

Some days I fear my "niche" is going to be a 6-foot hole in the ground. :cry: :lol:

Last edited by zer0netgain on 06 Nov 2013, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 3:49 pm

I worked my entire life and never found my niche. I may have been close once or twice but not really. Most, if not all, of my jobs were exercises in pain, misery and suffering.

Superflynurse
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Nov 2013, 6:37 pm

I sayI found my niche, but what I meant is that i found the least painfull job.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 1:16 pm

If only work was something you actually wanted to do.... that's what I would start with, I need to figure out how to get paid to do what I want. 8)

In the meantime, yeah it sucks to lose your job, best wishes to finding something to get you by til you get the rest of it sorted out.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 3:50 pm

Had a couple things lined up for next week, they "fell through."

This isn't a bad thing. I would have driven all weekend to get the the town to go through two hiring processes. The first was doing everything in 2-3 days from the start. The second was already doing stuff and had me do most everything remotely to save me time and money until I had to come out there. Both falling on the same week was fortuitous.

However, I have a simple philosophy on job interviews. If I'm not going to get the job, I'd rather not bother in the first place. This is 10 times so if a lot of travel/expense is involved to be considered for the position.

While one saying "no" does not conclude that the other will have a similar answer, when something is in the same general geography as the other, the frame of mind tends to be similar. These were two very similar jobs (dispatching). If I didn't impress upon one to give a second interview, the odds are the other was going to have a similar opinion of me.

Not knowing if I should make the trip or not, I put out a simple "test" for the universe. The second hiring process did my first interview over Skype. It didn't go badly, but it wasn't great, either. I took the position that if the place the did so much to take my location, time and expenses into consideration when considering me for the position decided they didn't want to have me come for a face-to-face interview, it would be a poor investment to make the trip for the first hiring process that hadn't done anything but tell me what dates and times to be there to BEGIN the process.

Am I disappointed to not be going? A little. The second hiring process was really nice, polite, and they did so much to help me find local channels to do required testing for the position. For a time, I was thinking they really wanted me for the job to make such an effort (most places don't even bother to call you if it's going to be an issue). Once I learned they were just being considerate to ALL their out-of-town applicants, I knew I was no better off than anyone else, and I realized it could be a nice chunk of change for nothing.

However, I'm relieved to not be going. I didn't have a positive "vibe" that this was going to be worth it. I didn't have a negative "vibe" either, but the thought of being spared the loss of time and money just to be turned down anyway is comforting.