Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 7:06 pm

I live in a city that has around one or two flights per day coming in. They have an opening for a TSA position, but it is kinda far out, but I told my mom I could get a license and car, but she wants me to work at wal mart, even though I have gotten turned down for it so far. I will apply for both, bu tthe TSA job earns more. Would an aspie do well at either? I just want to save up and get out of here.

Sharkbait
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Nov 2013, 10:22 pm

If you can handle confrontational people you'd likely be fine. Remember it's not necessarily the people living in your town, but those leaving after visiting (they'll run the gamut of politeness.)

Also, it seems like a cushy job. You have to look like you're doing something when in fact you're not having any noticeable effect whatsoever. Plus, they may arm you soon, so hey, free gun!

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 10:36 pm

Sharkbait wrote:
If you can handle confrontational people you'd likely be fine. Remember it's not necessarily the people living in your town, but those leaving after visiting (they'll run the gamut of politeness.)

Also, it seems like a cushy job. You have to look like you're doing something when in fact you're not having any noticeable effect whatsoever. Plus, they may arm you soon, so hey, free gun!

That is the way I look at it. My mom is worried about getting back and forth, but at least it is a cushy part time job (25-29k a year). And for this area, that is decent. She is also worried about school, but I want to just get a job, and if not, to get out of here ( have plans). I applied for this job, even if she disagrees. I also get discounts on flights. So I could use vacations to get away ;) .

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 11:24 pm

Go for it.

It would certainly be better than Walmart. That's especially true if you consider benefits. I don't think that Walmart offers much in the way of benefits.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 12:04 am

eric76 wrote:
Go for it.

It would certainly be better than Walmart. That's especially true if you consider benefits. I don't think that Walmart offers much in the way of benefits.

And she is saying they could work around my school yada yada. I applied for both. It seems like she has an ideal for aspergers, and puts it in that. She also says I tend to be grandiose. Well if you were ever depressed as I can be, come back to me about that. I want to get out of here, and so a little cash built up would not hurt. And I think she still has a bright image of Walmart personally. In between on here and staff I know, they say it is a crappy place to work. The only legitimate problem she said was running me to work and working around my school schedule. But if there are only one or two flights out per day, and I buy a cheap car, then her point is moot. I even said I could drive myself after a few months. I am not trying to be grandiose, I just want to save coin, and I think the TSA would be better (although it would not be my first choice).

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 4:15 am

If you can deal with some people being an ass to you and insulting you etc, or touching strangers then you'll do fine. If not I wouldn't try it. Even though lots of people wouldn't get mad at the agents, some would. Can you stay calm and just repeat what you are told to say when somebody calls you a name or screams at you? Cause, that's probably gonna happen. Folks don't like TSA agents much now, although I'd let them strip search me, do a cavity search and make me fly naked and blindfolded if it meant the plane wouldn't blow up, but that's just me. I'm scared of planes and airports anyway.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 11:40 am

While people generally hate TSA agents, there's another side to the equation. Yes, people will insult them and stuff, but at the same time, they have virtually limitless power, and flyers absolutely must comply with anything they say. If they don't, an agent can pretty much charge them with attempted terrorism or whatever other charge they can trump up. If you're the agent, it's your word against the flyer's, and yours will almost always win, much like a police officer at a traffic stop. And there's nothing more fun than rummaging through a pile of discarded liquids and gels to get a half-finished bottle, or even a full bottle, of very expensive cologne or perfume. Touch/sensory issues aside, it's actually a pretty aspie-friendly job, since you can leverage your power to charge people with crimes to thwart any bullying from flyers. And other agents will almost always back you up, rather than siding with the person you had a disagreement with. (I'm aware of that shooting incident on the news, but that happened only once since TSA was implemented after 9/11.)

This is not a rant. My experience with TSA agents generally ranged from "just OK" to "good". While it's true that they act surly and bark out orders, it's done to everybody, not just aspies. And they were generally polite to me, probably because I've flown enough times post-9/11 that I could do the usual "belts and shoes in the bin, liquids and gels out of the backpack, step into the body scanner and raise your arms" drill even before they prompt me. (By contrast, I saw harmless-looking older lady getting the full pat-down.) Heck, I even a fairly pleasant interaction with TSA, when I forgot to take my belt off. I thought I'd be arrested right on the spot (hey, those people can overreact any time), but the agent just quietly reminded me to remove it and put it in the bin with my other stuff. After I did what he told me, I had no further problems.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 12:23 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
While people generally hate TSA agents, there's another side to the equation. Yes, people will insult them and stuff, but at the same time, they have virtually limitless power, and flyers absolutely must comply with anything they say. If they don't, an agent can pretty much charge them with attempted terrorism or whatever other charge they can trump up. If you're the agent, it's your word against the flyer's, and yours will almost always win, much like a police officer at a traffic stop. And there's nothing more fun than rummaging through a pile of discarded liquids and gels to get a half-finished bottle, or even a full bottle, of very expensive cologne or perfume. Touch/sensory issues aside, it's actually a pretty aspie-friendly job, since you can leverage your power to charge people with crimes to thwart any bullying from flyers. And other agents will almost always back you up, rather than siding with the person you had a disagreement with. (I'm aware of that shooting incident on the news, but that happened only once since TSA was implemented after 9/11.)

This is not a rant. My experience with TSA agents generally ranged from "just OK" to "good". While it's true that they act surly and bark out orders, it's done to everybody, not just aspies. And they were generally polite to me, probably because I've flown enough times post-9/11 that I could do the usual "belts and shoes in the bin, liquids and gels out of the backpack, step into the body scanner and raise your arms" drill even before they prompt me. (By contrast, I saw harmless-looking older lady getting the full pat-down.) Heck, I even a fairly pleasant interaction with TSA, when I forgot to take my belt off. I thought I'd be arrested right on the spot (hey, those people can overreact any time), but the agent just quietly reminded me to remove it and put it in the bin with my other stuff. After I did what he told me, I had no further problems.
Actually, TSA agents have no more police powers than any ordinary citizen. If someone is to be arrested and charged, they must call real police and let them make the arrest.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 1:13 pm

I've only flown a few times and all were before 9/11 and I was terrified of a crash every time and very nervous. The last time I flew, on my way home I was getting on my flight and I had a laptop. This was in 2000. The lady asked me if she could see it and I handed it over and she was rubbing it with stuff and looking through the pockets and all. It was one I had borrowed for the trip so I was worried about her accidentally breaking it so I asked her what she was doing and why. She said it was random to check for explosives. This was before 9/11 thank God or I probably would have been arrested because I screamed "EXPLOSIVES?????? YOU THINK THERES A BOMB ON THE PLANE?????" They calmed me down and explained it was just precautions, but all the checking would make me feel safe on one hand but it would remind of me everything bad that could happen, on the other. I'd probably have to be drugged first or something.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 1:38 pm

It's def better money than Walmart, but you have to be very alert and attentive at all times. If your doing the X-ray, you have to be focused on the monitor. If your working with people you have to be alert, focused, aware of people's actions, able to pick specific behaviors out from a group.

carthago
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Nov 2013, 5:15 am

The TSA is a significant step up over Wal-Mart, unless you're at the manager level. You can try applying for it, but it will be a much more demanding job from the social aspect. Although the TSA doesn't have very good rapport with the public, the PR component is a huge part of the job. Also, you'll need to be very team oriented. That may be you, but it doesn't exactly fit the generic Aspie description.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 5:27 am

I put in for a TSA job. I don't know if they'll ever call, but I'm still in the system for consideration.