Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 3:21 am

So I'm off to SIGGRAPH (for the uninitiated, that's a major computer graphics conference in North America, and my current best chance of finding work) armed with twenty demo reel DVD's, ten CD's, a couple hundred business cards, and a flatbook....

I'll be back August 5th, in the unlikely event that anyone here misses me.

I'm a student volunteer and they've got me working most of my 30 hours in registration... so I suppose I'll get to meet everyone at least once. Wish me luck!

Cause I've only got one thing to say... Give me networking skills or give me death! :wink:

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 3:27 am

I wish you luck! and accept my blessings for
a safe journey! I know how important this
is too you!

Sincerely,
Yoda-Ghosthunter

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 3:28 am

have a great time, pyraxis. :)

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 8:15 am

Wow! I am sure jelous of you. I would love to hear what they actually do there. . . .could you by any chance start a log?

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 3:20 pm

I am back! Well... not quite yet, I'm actually in a hotel lobby in Los Angeles, struggling through their godawful-slow internet, waiting for a shuttle to take me to the airport. Sorry I didn't do a log sooner, Prometheus, it's been really hectic and I've been using every spare moment just to zone out and get my mind back in sync.

Is there anything in particular you want to know about the conference? There are all kinds of directions I could go - describing all the cutting-edge hardware in Emerging Technologies, giving tips for anyone who wants to figure out how to get work and/or survive a business conference, the various people I met from film effects houses and game companies, the "hidden stuff" and parties that you can only find out about if you know the right people, etc. etc.

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2005, 3:35 pm

I've always just wondered what it would be like to go to one, I really don't know much about what actually goes on, though.

I wouldn't mind hearing about the technology/software, though. . ./me drools

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2005, 3:25 am

pyraxis wrote:
I am back! Well... not quite yet, I'm actually in a hotel lobby in Los Angeles, struggling through their godawful-slow internet, waiting for a shuttle to take me to the airport.

I don't blame you for wanting to hurry up and leave L.A. They should rename it Freakshow City.

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2005, 6:45 pm

Prometheus wrote:
I wouldn't mind hearing about the technology/software, though. . ./me drools

Weellll... There was the Guerilla Studio, where they had about 20 terminals set up with every high-end piece of graphics software I'd heard of, and a bunch I hadn't. Maya, Max, Character Studio, FinalCut Pro, Premiere, Painter, Lightwave, etc. They also had a 20 foot square motion capture stage, and a station where you could get your head scanned and made into a fully textured 3d model. They had a large format Epson printer (printing was free!) and a machine where you could create a design on the computer and have it printed onto your fingernails.

Then there was Emerging Technology, where I got to play with a 2'x3' screen on which you could manipulate objects just by hovering your fingers above the surface and dragging. There was a virtual reality hang glider where you got into an actual harness and hung in front of a projection screen, and VR rowing where you moved the oars in empty air but still felt artificial resistance. Haptics were the big thing this year, as well as the usual VR goggles and stereo imagery.

Drooling yet? :D

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 9:17 am

Quote:
Drooling yet?

lets say I am going to need a new keyboard. . . . . .

Quote:
They had a large format Epson printer (printing was free!) and a machine where you could create a design on the computer and have it printed onto your fingernails.

Fascinating!

did the fingernail printer self-adjust for inconsistanties in fingernail configs?

I would kill for acess to a "large format printer". . . .grrr.

Quote:
Maya, Max, Character Studio, FinalCut Pro, Premiere, Painter, Lightwave,

I take it that they are all new verisions or have additions to them?

/me stops b/c keyboard is shorting out from drooooooool. . . .

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 1:01 pm

nice