Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

WHOperhero
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jun 2014, 10:09 pm

Hi, so I was wondering two things:

1: What career do you think I should go into, and

2: Where can I find an Asperger-friendly part-time job?

I am interested in science-related things, but I am terrible at math, physics, and chemistry. Biology is the only science class I do well in. Also, most of my science-related obsessions (originally bugs, later animals in general, and most recently preventing species extinction and climate change,) are all in the biology field. However, the only careers that seem to directly relate to this either involve math (like engineering solar panels), or working outside in bad weather and with wild animals (like being a park ranger.) While I like the TOPICS of protecting endangered species and climate change, I don't think the DAY-TO-DAY WORK would be right for me.

Recently, I have also become interested in writing. I have been an avid reader all my life, and I am wondering if I should write a story. My parents, however, are very pessimistic about creative careers (writing, art, music, ect.) While I realize these are not the easiest careers to make a living in, I feel like my parents are not even considering me becoming an author as a possibility. It doesn't help that I only really got into writing stories two years ago. I did make a few attempts at writing stories before then, the earliest being when I was ten years old. I probably would have written more if I didn't feel like I was wasting my time. I just worry that it's too late to start writing stories now, especially since my parents expect me to continue my second year of college in the fall to pursue a well-paying science career.

So, on to part-time jobs...

I have had three part-time jobs while in school/ over the summer, starting my junior year (11th grade) of high school. The first was a job washing dishes at a restaurant. The dishwashing room was out of the way, and I mostly worked by myself. I enjoyed that I didn't have to worry too often about other people, and could just focus on my task. Also, I only worked 2 five-hour shifts a week, which I thought was the perfect amount to ease me into the world of work. However, the dishwashing machine was very noisy, which was problematic, since I am sensitive to sound. Also, if I was working a weekend shift, I would have to wash dishes with this one coworker who hated me. Still, I might have kept working there if the restaurant didn't go out of business.

My second part-time job was at a fast food place. It was terrible. I honestly don't know what to say I did there, because each shift was different. There were no assigned jobs, so everyone just did everything. On busy weekends, I might end up putting chicken wings in the fryer, then immediately running to the oven to pull out, slice, and box a pizza, then sprinting to the counter to take someone's order, then getting yelled at by my boss because I didn't manage to answer a phone by the second ring. It was just way too much multitasking and way too much stressing about customer service. I quit that job as soon as I found another one.

Unfortunately, the next job was even worse. It was at a clothing store. I figured putting back cloths from the dressing room and straightening the store wouldn't be too hard, right? Wrong. People would leave piles of inside-out clothing on the dressing room floor, I had nothing in common with my fashionable coworkers, and my bosses were basically emotionless robots who just care about how much money they are making, and not our wellbeing. What bothered me the most, however, was the stealing problem. Lots of customers were stealing clothing, but no one seemed to care. The stress from this job, as well as the stress from my best friend moving away and realizing I may need to rethink my career caused me to become depressed. I ended up quitting that job this April, and have not found another job since.

So, has anyone had a fun, or at least tolerable part-time job? In the past, I would send out applications for any job hiring high-school grads (I have only completed my first year of community college.) However, seeing as most of these jobs were too stressful, due mostly to social issues and the fact that bosses expected me to work twenty hours per week on top of going to high school/college full time, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions. Not working while going to school is not an option. My dad grew up in poverty, worked full-time while going to college full-time, and is now a successful doctor. My stepmom has a similar story. While they could probably pay for my college expenses, most normal college students are working at least part-time. What kind of spoiled brat am I if I can't even work part time? :(

Sorry, this post is a lot longer and more emotional than I had planned. :( I'm kind of depressed still. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2014, 10:57 pm

i worked very part time in college. it was called work-study and i was a college employee. after the first year, i was able to help out in preparing and teaching the labs for underclassmen. (i was a bio major, had to take statistics and calculus).

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 12:23 pm

1. Ah, picking a career is a toughie... just had to do it myself (wanted to be a data analyst, but, couldn't break into that without 'relevant experience', so, now I'm a System Administrator).

2. Ah, now THAT is a darned good question. I've had a lot of the same part time experiences as you have. I actually got to help the Loss Prevention guy at our store catch a lot of thieves (oh, theivery made me furious... probably still would if I was exposed to as much of it today).

My favorite p/t job was being a dishwasher. I did also enjoy my temp jobs, though... I used to do inventory a couple of times a year for the store my Mom worked at, and I used to help with filing and double-checking ledgers in the accounting department where my grandma worked. The accounting work is probably all done on pc now, so no double-checking necessary and less paperwork than when I was a teenager, but, that office was a bit chatty for me anyway, with all of the women. Obviously, temp work like those are not quite what you're looking for.
I'd really just suggest combing your local want ads and craigslist to see what small local businesses might be looking for part time help for... you never know. Cleaning cages at a vets office could be nice, depending on the animals. Working in a mail room for a midsized company could be low on people interaction and noise? Stocking shelves for stores at night? Don't know if it's an option, but, maybe delivery driving? Noisy in a restaurant but nice and quiet in your car...

Best of luck.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 12:53 pm

You can find jobs listings for nonprofits that relate to your special interests at www.idealist.org (I see 283 with the keyword "climate" at the moment.) Stuffing envelopes, doing data entry and similar office work for a climate charity might be easier for you than being a park ranger. However, if working with animals is something you like you could be a vet tech or work at an animal shelter or a doggie day care. If you need quiet and alone time, you might enjoy shelving books--your own university probably has job listings for "library assistant" or "library clerk" for which you would qualify.

You are not a writer, by the way. Writers can't STOP themselves from writing; they are compelled to do it whether they are getting paid or not. It's not generally a career path people choose because it will make them rich.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 1:23 pm

arielhawksquill wrote:
You can find jobs listings for nonprofits that relate to your special interests at www.idealist.org (I see 283 with the keyword "climate" at the moment.) Stuffing envelopes, doing data entry and similar office work for a climate charity might be easier for you than being a park ranger. However, if working with animals is something you like you could be a vet tech or work at an animal shelter or a doggie day care. If you need quiet and alone time, you might enjoy shelving books--your own university probably has job listings for "library assistant" or "library clerk" for which you would qualify.

You are not a writer, by the way. Writers can't STOP themselves from writing; they are compelled to do it whether they are getting paid or not. It's not generally a career path people choose because it will make them rich.

Oh, I forgot the writing thing, yeah... I tried writing stories when I was younger, but, I'm not that good at it, definitely not imaginitive enough to get paid. BUT, I started writing a blog about my industry (Facilities Management), and, as it's a niche industry, I got noticed real quick, now I get paid to write articles about my industry and related software and occasionally flown to cover some events (conference or software launch).
I am a much better technical editor than I am a writer, though, so I prefer to take on gigs like that.

Anyway, that's a long way of saying, if you want to work in writing/publishing, there are many ways, but, it's not likely going to be a reliable way to make significant money at this point in your career.
Maybe when you get a job/go to school, you can start to write a blog from that point of view, and see if it takes you anywhere... like you get a lot of comments on a certain type of post, or get invited to guest write on a more established outlet. ~shrugs~

WHOperhero
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jul 2014, 9:33 pm

cathylynn wrote:
i worked very part time in college. it was called work-study and i was a college employee. after the first year, i was able to help out in preparing and teaching the labs for underclassmen. (i was a bio major, had to take statistics and calculus).

Thanks for the work-study advice! I think there's some positions at my college as well. I'll have to look into that.

As for biology, I could probably survive some math, I just don't want the majority of my career to involve using math.

WHOperhero
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jul 2014, 10:10 pm

MissDorkness: Thanks for the part-time job ideas! Also, for your later post about writing. I am still trying to figure out if I could do something with writing or not, but blogging sounds helpful if I do.

arielhawksquill: Being a library assistant sounds great! I don't know how I didn't think of that :oops: Also, thanks for your writing advice. I have been writing more during the past three years, after being inspired by an exciting English teacher. However, I am still more likely to watch a movie or play a videogame in my spare time rather than write, so it's probably not for me.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

04 Jul 2014, 4:06 am

The only experience I have with work is at UPS, which is full of noisy conveyor belts and people are clanging carts and boxes are falling everywhere and it's hot and dusty... not exactly an Aspie-friendly environment. :lol:

However, my Supervisor and Manager are very safety-oriented and actually care about your well-being. If they notice you getting tired, they'll put you in a lighter trailer so you could go a little bit slower. (Hell, they'll even jump in the trailer with you and work next to you sometimes.) Mine is the official "water boy" and makes sure all the water bottles are filled and ready to go. :lol:

And it's actually a really good job if you're the type who really likes routine. The only thing that changes about this job is which trailer you're loading in. Other than that, it's pretty much the same every day.

Try not to be picky and explore all of your options. You never know, something that seems out of your league could actually be perfect for you. :)

WHOperhero
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jul 2014, 5:53 pm

Thanks MakaylaTheAspie! :D My stepbrother worked for I think UPS or FedEx, and didn't have the best experience, but maybe that was just due to the particular building he worked at. I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

04 Jul 2014, 6:20 pm

No prob! You can see directly if they have any available positions on this website by signing up and scheduling an interview. Here is pretty much the job description, but the job usually varies because "package handler" is just a generalization.

So we have unloaders, who unload all the freight and feeder cars. Then there's the sweepers, they bring you irregular packages (usually over 70lbs or weirdly shaped, like a tire for example). Then there's the belt supervisors and managers. The Auditors make sure your trailers look nice and they take care of potentially hazardous packages by inspecting them and signing them off if they pass. The you have the loaders (which is what I do), who put the packages in the trailers, make sure that the packages get to the correct destination, and input the tracking number into the system so people can figure out where their orders are.

So yeah, you might not get Auditor or a supervisor position, but those other ones are fair game. :D