Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

mattschwartz01
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Aug 2014, 9:56 am

I'm a professionally diagnosed High Functioning Autistic. At 37 years old, I've finally have just become plumb sick of information technology. It kind of sucks because I'm good at it, it's just the egos and social dynamic that I cannot seem to figure out. I fell into IT - I didn't plan to go into it in any shape or form. I'm unemployed and recovering from a recent hospitalization. Any advice on choosing a career would be welcome. What are some good steps to take?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2014, 10:30 am

I understand. My own "falling" into high-tech (as it was called in the 1980s) was fun in the beginning with new ideas, inventions and discoveries every day. But, it soon got old as the tech outpaced human knowledge making demands to keep pace by designing code by compartmentalized committees. That is when software started to fail ... often. So, I took my tech-writing skills and morphed them into marketing and advertising. Public relations, too.

I recently recommended to another WP member to make a list of all the things the member loved to do, liked to do, and, with a little instruction, could do. Having spent so much time in IT gives you certain abilities apart from IT itself. I imagine you have management skills, writing skills, and understand new tech quickly. Those qualities apply to a lot of jobs today. Why not try a career-path diversion that could pay you what you need but also give you a chance to learn new things? Make it something you are interested in or love.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

mattschwartz01
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Aug 2014, 10:36 am

Okay. I think I'll begin this way. I need to do this anyway for the career counselor for my Vocational Rehab Assistance. Thanks for the reply! :D