Getting into engineering (as a physicist!)

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

wavecannon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Sep 2014, 10:19 am

Hello! After my A-levels I went straight into an integrated masters in physics at university. It didn't take me long to find physics wasn't exactly my strong point, but I've persevered through it and although not particularly impressive, I await either a 2:2 MSc or 2:2 BSc (if I've failed an exam) in a few weeks' time.

As I'm not in a real position there to seek work/a PhD in pure(-ish) physics, I've looked at what else I can do with my knowledge. What stood out was engineering. My uncle's spent his life as a civil engineer and I'm very taken by how much it benefits society, how varied the work can be, how I won't be forever sat down at a desk, and how it would still challenge me. A good friend, having dropped out of a philosophy degree several years ago, got into a good university and two years ago started an electrical engineering course that he's brilliant at, and I've been green-eyed over what he's achieved in it, how he's found a sponsor and how many placements he's been given. I can't quite express how I wish to be in his position.

Seeking engineering jobs straightaway seems to give me a long list of places what would require a BEng/MEng/CEng. They don't really look for physics unless I'm working elsewhere on the sector. I'd be delighted to take an engineering course, a company scheme preferably, especially as I'd be paid rather than having to pay extortionate tuition fees.

Oh yeah, and having my final exam in physics in late August meant I spent the summer focusing on my degree rather than applying for many courses and odd jobs. So I feel I've found the worst time of year to look for options where I can get a qualification as an engineer. A local council was offering £12k/year for prospective BEng students, another company was paying over double that for its graduate scheme. I know both of those are gone and I'm not sure where else to look for this sort of thing.

And maybe I'm being too dissatisfied, but I'm almost 23 and to start towards another undergraduate degree now makes me feel late, indecisive, and at my last chance saloon. I'm worrying about being a moocher who has no idea what to do with his life. I'm desperate to become a productive person, working in something challenging for me, that's also beneficial and not as difficult as I personally found physics modules like say, quantum field theory.

I know all the info I've given here so far doesn't paint me as the best prospective engineer, but is there any advice anyone can give me, or places I can be pointed to where I can apply to become an engineer?

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2014, 10:55 am

Tiny Twisters Whirl Around Inside Drops of Helium
http://news.yahoo.com/tiny-twisters-whi ... 51506.html

Go do what makes your mind the most curious.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2014, 12:02 pm

If I was you find out if you can do a masters course in some area of enginnering, if it interests you look up the Dalton institute, there will be a big need for people in the nuclear industry in the near future in the UK either to build / operate new plants or dismantle existing plants.

Would you have the entry requirements for their courses in nuclear eng ?

Also bear in mind that a so called masters which is a enhanced first degree is not a true masters, for example a four year MChem is not a true masters. If you take a one year masters then for EPSRC's purposes your first degree is regarded as being one class better than it is.

MSc courses exists in a range of things like applied optics, I am sure that you could look for something in physics.

So with a 2.2 which is converted into a 2.1 with a masters you could try and get a PhD studentship. It is not possible normally to do a PhD unless you have a 2.1 unless you got a 2.2 and then got a MSc.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.