Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 5:16 pm

So, I started my new job at the doughnut shop yesterday. It went okay, but there's a lot to learn. I have to wear a cheesy polyester uniform with a name tag. Thank God I am medicated or I would never be able to do it.

I disclosed my autism and anxiety at the interview so they are having me work short shifts and only three per week.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 5:44 pm

Congrats, and hang in there! It's really good that your disclosure brought about their decision to give you shorter shifts, and few, instead of pretending they found another candidate; that's good news.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 5:49 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
Congrats, and hang in there! It's really good that your disclosure brought about their decision to give you shorter shifts, and few, instead of pretending they found another candidate; that's good news.

Thanks!

This company has a reputation for supporting the disabled, so I gambled that disclosing might work in my favour.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 6:03 pm

Is that actually you? If it is, you are an attractive person, indeed.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 6:05 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Is that actually you? If it is, you are an attractive person, indeed.

That's Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy, the Vampire Slayer. I'm actually much prettier. :wink:

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 6:06 pm

androbot01 wrote:
...I have to wear a cheesy polyester uniform with a name tag. Thank God I am medicated or I would never be able to do it....

Haha! You are funny. My very first job was at a cinema where I was a 15-year-old usher, doorman and toilet cleaner. I was forced to wear a bright-blue sportcoat that was easily 10 sizes too big for me. Nothing is beneath me. Hehe.

Anyway, keep a sense of humor about it all and know that you are stronger than any dents to your pride you might get. Besides, think of all the day-old doughnuts you get!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 6:08 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Besides, think of all the day-old doughnuts you get!

And we get unlimited free coffee!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 6:09 pm

Do you work the overnight shift?

Don't you get fresh donuts as well?

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 6:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Do you work the overnight shift?

Don't you get fresh donuts as well?

I might work overnight - it's open 24 hrs/day.
The food is half price, which is pretty good!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 6:13 pm

In the US, I doubt it if you would have been able to get accommodations like you did at Tim Horton's!

I'm glad you were able to disclose successfully. This means you'll probably be successful in your job.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 6:15 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
In the US, I doubt it if you would have been able to get accommodations like you did at Tim Horton's!

I'm glad you were able to disclose successfully. This means you'll probably be successful in your job.

I hope so. The job entails a lot of multi-tasking. Cash, service, food handling. I'm just going to take my time and go at my speed. I think as long as my attitude is good, they'll be patient with me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 6:22 pm

Just be careful in the overnight shift--not because you're a woman--but because there are drunks out there who don't give a rat's butt who you are (even in Canada). I would counsel men to be careful as well.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 6:24 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Just be careful in the overnight shift--not because you're a woman--but because there are drunks out there who don't give a rat's butt who you are (even in Canada). I would counsel men to be careful as well.

True ... thanks. I think it unlikely that I will work overnight because those shifts are longer. I think I'll be mostly days.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 6:42 pm

That'll be good, then. I don't think any part of Canada is really dangerous during the day. Even the worst part of Toronto. Nothing like parts of New York and other US cities.

I mean.....there was a year where there were 50 murders in Toronto--that was cause for alarm!

In NYC, in the late 80's-early 90's, there were over 2,000 murders a year! Now, we have about 400-500, and that's considered very few.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 6:46 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
That'll be good, then. I don't think any part of Canada is really dangerous during the day. Even the worst part of Toronto. Nothing like parts of New York and other US cities.

Yes, and this location is mostly suburban drive-through traffic.

New York scares me, but it's one of the few places in the world I'd be motivated to travel to visit. So many neat things there - museums and art galleries and the theatre. It must be amazing!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 6:51 pm

New York is a great place.

And it's very safe in the areas where tourists frequent (basically, Manhattan below 125th street on the West Side, and below 96th Street on the East Side, and a small part of Brooklyn). You have to watch out for people who want to scam you, though.