Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 1:18 pm

I have heard of a website called Etsy where you make and sell things. I am wondering if it works good and how to use it for making money online.

BunnyMum
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Nov 2014, 5:44 am

Etsy is a website where you can open your own online shop to sell handmade art and crafts you've made. You need to have a Paypal account to get paid or you can use Etsy's direct checkout service so customers can pay you by credit card.

Have you been to Etsy's website and read how to open a shop there? That's the first thing you need to do. You can also ask questions on the forums over there or search the forums to get answers to lots of questions about Etsy.

I have a shop on Etsy but it's been empty for a few years now as I sell my crafts on New Zealand sites at the moment and only ship to New Zealand addresses (I live in NZ).

I sold a few things on Etsy but didn't do that well there. Shipping from NZ meant my shipping prices for international shipping were high. Also, people kept telling me to market my shop on Facebook and Twitter which I hated doing so stopped doing. There are LOTS of shops on Etsy so you need to have a way of letting people know your shop exists.

But it is very nice when you get an email from Etsy to tell you you've sold something!

Go and read the forums over at Etsy. I read them every day to keep up with what's happening in the handmade world. I have learned a lot from them.

LoveforLoki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2014, 5:52 am

Etsy is like Ebay but for crafty people and vintage things. If it is new, it must be handmade, if it is vintage it doesn't need to be handmade.

You can pay and get paid with Paypal or credit cards.

I had an Etsy shop for some time. As the other poster said shipping can be difficult, but still some people make good money on Etsy. Shipping is much sometimes but you do not pay for it the person who buys the item from you pays for it, it is up to them.

You also need to pay a small fee every time you sell an item, just as you would do with Ebay but Ebay takes more of a percentage from your sales than Etsy does.