Can the average aspie survive working as an Actuary?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 9:55 pm

I was wondering if most aspies could make it in the acturial world... I think it would be tough for a person with AS to make it in a corporate environment (banks, insurance companies, etc) where lots of social rules apply and certain neurotypical attitudes and behaviors are expected. (And let's not even talk about presentations and public speaking.) At the same time, I realize that the actuarial sciences consist mostly of aspie-friendly subjects such as probability and statistics.

That being said, is "actuary" a job where the average aspie with an inclination for quantitative subjects is likely to succeed?

Space
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 11:25 pm

Mw99 wrote:
I was wondering if most aspies could make it in the acturial world... I think it would be tough for a person with AS to make it in a corporate environment (banks, insurance companies, etc) where lots of social rules apply and certain neurotypical attitudes and behaviors are expected. (And let's not even talk about presentations and public speaking.) At the same time, I realize that the actuarial sciences consist mostly of aspie-friendly subjects such as probability and statistics.

That being said, is "actuary" a job where the average aspie with an inclination for quantitative subjects is likely to succeed?

I think so too.

It's impossible to say if someone with AS will succeed in that job, because we are all different. The only way to know for sure is to do it and see how it turns out.

surroundfan
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Oct 2007, 5:06 am

I'm currently doing financial analysis in the public service. Not quite actuarial stuff, but very similar in nature: poring over books of figures in the hope of making sense of them and picking up on details and inconsistencies. Not bad for a qualified historian who almost failed first year accounting in his commerce degree, hey!

The work is fine. The only problem is that I've reached the level where I'm expected manage others and therein lies the problem. I don't like them (I really want to be left alone to concentrate and work). They don't particularly like me either (well, according to my boss; way to go with the motivation!).

In short, if you can resist being sucked into management, it's not bad.