Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Joe86
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Nov 2008, 2:33 am

melissa17b wrote:
What did you find difficult about pursuing the actuarial track? With a self-study exam structure, and mostly memorisation and applying mathematical and statistical concepts, this is an ideal field for an Aspie. Have you thought about IT, another field traditionally kind to spectrum types? I have combined both, and have formed my own business with two former colleagues and one other person.

It's actually not that the actuarial field is proving difficult to learn. It's breaking into it that's been tough for me.

I believe the major I pursued at Bentley University was too general for a lot of these companies, and entry level positions in Boston are tough enough as it is with floods of students from places like Harvard, MIT, Boston College, Boston University, Northeastern, Worcester Polytech, Holy Cross, Bentley, Babson, Providence, Dartmouth, Brown, etc all being in the area and pursuing jobs.

I've so far had promising interviews with Hanover Insurance in Worcester, MA and Berkshire Life in Pittsfield, MA, but both ended up in dead ends. Lately the only interviews I can seem to get are for Accounting positions, which is something I know enough of to be functional in but by no means is something I want a career in.

International Gaming Technologies in Reno, NV just contacted me this evening to complete 8 questions regarding my candidacy, which I'm taking as long as I want on. MassMutual also contacted me, but for another Accounting position. Outside of that, not too much going on in terms of job prospects.

I know a lot of people are going through the same thing, but I went to a good college, I have a 130 IQ, I know I'd be successful in many career paths. But the foot in the door is proving to be nightmarish.

And I also do have experience with C++ / Java, which is probably why IGT followed up with me in the first place.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 9:45 am

Joe86 wrote:
So I graduated college in May, and for lack of a better way of putting it, life has sucked since.

I didn't have a job right out of college, so I continued with a delivery driver job I held in college for the time being. When it became obvious that I needed a job that provided more hours, I took on a job as a Seafood Clerk at the Supermarket. Finally, after 3 1/2 months, I was offered a job as a Staff Accountant (even though I was an Applied Mathematics major). Well, 6 weeks went by, and my boss decided to terminate me because there "wasn't enough for me to do".

I accepted the reasoning after awhile, but now I'm on 1 1/2 months of being unemployed and moderately desperate. I have health insurance and college loans to pay, and I don't even have a 2nd interview lined up in the near future; I can't even seem to get temp jobs or jobs that in normal economic times would be considered "below my intellect", like A/R jobs for $12 / hr. The closest I was to a new job was a job that the company decided to put a "hold" on, aka I'll nor any of the other interviewees will ever hear from them again. I have a decent feeling an Equity Trading firm will give me a call back for a second interview, but I'm not banking on it.

My dream out of college was to become an actuary, but the road to that career has been completely brutal. I've been looking at grad schools for Applied Mathematics / Actuarial Sciences, but the school selection is low, and I'm already concerned about my debt levels, let alone paying hundreds of dollars for the GRE and 2-3 applications.

So my question is what should I do about this? I usually spend 5-6 hours a day looking for jobs and applying for jobs, and my total application count is usually around 2 dozen a week. I follow up my applications regularly after about a week. Heck I even look outside of the Boston area, like recent job submissions to companies in Nevada, California, and Ohio. Maybe to sum it up, what are some strategies any of you guys took to get on track?

have you done any cryptography?

you might consider the NSA/CIA, they hire strong mathematicians/computer programmers to do cryptography and cryptoanalysis

Joe86
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2008, 11:58 am

Shiggily wrote:
Joe86 wrote:
So I graduated college in May, and for lack of a better way of putting it, life has sucked since.

I didn't have a job right out of college, so I continued with a delivery driver job I held in college for the time being. When it became obvious that I needed a job that provided more hours, I took on a job as a Seafood Clerk at the Supermarket. Finally, after 3 1/2 months, I was offered a job as a Staff Accountant (even though I was an Applied Mathematics major). Well, 6 weeks went by, and my boss decided to terminate me because there "wasn't enough for me to do".

I accepted the reasoning after awhile, but now I'm on 1 1/2 months of being unemployed and moderately desperate. I have health insurance and college loans to pay, and I don't even have a 2nd interview lined up in the near future; I can't even seem to get temp jobs or jobs that in normal economic times would be considered "below my intellect", like A/R jobs for $12 / hr. The closest I was to a new job was a job that the company decided to put a "hold" on, aka I'll nor any of the other interviewees will ever hear from them again. I have a decent feeling an Equity Trading firm will give me a call back for a second interview, but I'm not banking on it.

My dream out of college was to become an actuary, but the road to that career has been completely brutal. I've been looking at grad schools for Applied Mathematics / Actuarial Sciences, but the school selection is low, and I'm already concerned about my debt levels, let alone paying hundreds of dollars for the GRE and 2-3 applications.

So my question is what should I do about this? I usually spend 5-6 hours a day looking for jobs and applying for jobs, and my total application count is usually around 2 dozen a week. I follow up my applications regularly after about a week. Heck I even look outside of the Boston area, like recent job submissions to companies in Nevada, California, and Ohio. Maybe to sum it up, what are some strategies any of you guys took to get on track?

you might consider the NSA/CIA, they hire strong mathematicians/computer programmers to do cryptography and cryptoanalysis

I have, actually. I've even looked into becoming one for the Navy, but competition is brutal and will probably require more school. And I'd like more money before continuing education.

I did finally secure a temp job today. It'll pay s**t ($11 / hr), but at least it's a tie over for a real job. MassMutual also seems interested still.

melissa17b
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Dec 2008, 1:21 pm

Have you sat for any of the actuarial exams? Having passed two or three exams should at least get you an interview with most companies. An genuine interest in the company as well as some basic knowledge of it will take you from there, as with any job.

Joe86
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2008, 1:23 pm

melissa17b wrote:
Have you sat for any of the actuarial exams? Having passed two or three exams should at least get you an interview with most companies. An genuine interest in the company as well as some basic knowledge of it will take you from there, as with any job.

Just one, although I'm waiting on the results of a 2nd.

I'd probably be better off attending grad school to pursue the actuarial field since I struggle in studying on my own. Getting my foot in the door would probably be enough support for me to eventually attain fellowship.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 1:37 pm

Joe86 wrote:
Shiggily wrote:
Joe86 wrote:

I have, actually. I've even looked into becoming one for the Navy, but competition is brutal and will probably require more school. And I'd like more money before continuing education.

I did finally secure a temp job today. It'll pay sh** ($11 / hr), but at least it's a tie over for a real job. MassMutual also seems interested still.

the Navy pays for school. either all your previous school debts or your future schooling. your choice.

Joe86
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2008, 1:38 pm

Shiggily wrote:
Joe86 wrote:
Shiggily wrote:
Joe86 wrote:

I did finally secure a temp job today. It'll pay sh** ($11 / hr), but at least it's a tie over for a real job. MassMutual also seems interested still.

the Navy pays for school. either all your previous school debts or your future schooling. your choice.

Hmmm, still would have to decide if I'd want to attend OTC and become an officer.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 1:59 pm

Joe86 wrote:
Shiggily wrote:
Joe86 wrote:
Shiggily wrote:
Joe86 wrote:

Hmmm, still would have to decide if I'd want to attend OTC and become an officer.

officer may or may not be a good idea since they require the use of "personal" and "leadership" skills

kbergren21
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2008, 9:35 pm

Have you tried getting help from a headhunter?

Joe86
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Dec 2008, 12:49 am

kbergren21 wrote:
Have you tried getting help from a headhunter?

A headhunter?
Like a staffing agency?