Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Alan_Gangi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Mar 2008, 9:59 pm

i always had a terrible time getting jobs and holdign them once i got them. so i started totry working on my own. but everythign i try ends up not profitable. everyone tells me im talented and smart but i can't seem to put it to any use.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 10:40 pm

I can relate but have no practicle solutions for you. I did check out your art and you are very talented.I love your sisters painting but I got a warning on my computer that..."this could be a fishing web site do not disclose your personal information." I don't know much about computers...but you might want to find out what is causing that?

There are two other sites that i know of that you could try and sell you photos and art...you may have heard of them.One is "deviant art.com" amd the other is Etsy.com....I never tried to sell anything on the former because I just use it for my poetry and I set up a "store" on Etsy but nobody has bought anything I made...but my stuff isn't as good as yours, so you might. There are close to a million sellers there,so it is hard to get noticed(people can't buy what they dont know about)but it is cheap to list items for sale....20 cents an item for 4 month listing.Then they get like 3% if it sells.

A store is free and you can sell anything hand made(lots of people sell photography,art prints and some paintings.)It seems the majority of sales are crafting supplies and jewelry but art sells to and I think your stuff would be popular with the people who shop there. I wouldn't plan on getting rich but it might suppliment your income.

If you have any specific questions you can PM me. (by the way,it's not my website and I dont make a commission,so I'm not trying to plug them as a personal profit,just trying to help out a fellow spectrumite.)

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Alan_Gangi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Mar 2008, 11:48 pm

hi Krex, thanks for the suggestions, but I actually have tried both etsy and DA (and ebay and amazon marketplace). the only place i made a profit was ebay, but that was years ago- every time they altered their rules it seemed to be in favour of bulk-sellers, and ate into my profits until i was loosing money (not to mention that the customers were often rude). etsy and the rest of the places i just never got any sales, even though i posted links and participated in their message boards.

about the message you got on my website... what browser and what version of it are you using so that i may try to duplicate the message?

krex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 12:20 am

I am using IE7(according to my boyfriend)Maybe it had something to do with my security system...I am using Norton.

Sorry to hear the web selling didn't work out. I think you have some cool stuff. One suggestion I would make is that instead of selling the same picture on card sets...you mix them up and offer sets with a coupke pics of each?

As far as selling stuff I make,in general,I am horrid at net-working and selling myself...it just insn't a very "AS friendly" thing. I can't even imagine trying a craft sale or something that required me to talk to strangers. I would love to never have to work a "straight job" but I have found that for me,working over nights has helped a lot.For on thing there is less sensory stuff to deal with and for the another....most places are so desperate for someone to work that shift that they have just put up with my "oddities".

That said,I hate it and it adds a lot of stress to my life...I'm in the process of looking for another job right now and it really sucks.

Alan_Gangi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Apr 2008, 12:16 am

well i gave etsy another try. but i don't know how to get peopel to buy. have one sale for soemthign cheep, because a parent felt sorry for me i think.

i joined the etsy for autism team/group. did you?

Last edited by Alan_Gangi on 18 Apr 2008, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 6:12 pm

I feel your pain, (That is a Bill Clinton quote meant as a joke because I don't think most of those rich folks even have a clue of what it is like to decide you can't afford to go to the DRs because even the $20 co-pay is to much for your budget)

I have given up on Etsy for now. I spent to much money on supplies when I first joined and got in the first financial trouble since I was 22. I buy everything in thrift-stores for myself but you can't do that with food and gas,insurence payments or taxs I owe...I think even those have gone up and my yearly income is no where near "middle-class". ...I share rent and bills with my BF and drive a 1990 car with 158,000 miles that is rusting to pieces. My hourly wage is the same as when I was working in a factory in 1992 but the rice of everything has doubled. Yeah it sucks and I don't know how people are expected to live on SSD.I have two sisters on it and they are constantly in debt from living on credit cards, just to get by.

Etsy, was an obsession for me. I have to ignore it right now so that I can focus on gettig a new job...my current one is driving me over the edge in sensory over-load (barking dogs)...I love those dogs but I just can't deal with the barking. Makes me feel like tearing my hair out. But looking for a job that I can do with my AS is always a challenge and makes me so anxious that I end up coming to WP for comfort.

The trick to Etsy??? I can't sell a thing. I haven't given up but it is hard to even get noticed there. I thikn your paintings are great and people would buy them if they could see them...getting "seen" is the trick and I have no idea how to do that. I have no idea. I haven't joined the autism etsy site...I thought it was a "cure group", I will check it out again but if it is...I can't join anything that promotes a "cure" as I don't believe in such a thing.