Any Aspie cooks/chefs? Problems? Advantages? discuss...

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

knowmadic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Apr 2008, 6:17 pm

I've been cooking for about 7 or 8 years now. I've gone from trashy pub-grub spots to swanky 4 star celebrity hang out spots. I've worked with some of the shadiest ex-cons and drug addicts to some of the world's finest chefs...and back again.

I honestly have a talent and great sense of taste, but its the little things that make it seem like it's the complete wrong profession for me. I'm afraid I might be stuck in this career though, so I'd like to hear who else has problems and what I can do about correcting them.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 6:38 pm

I worked in the restaurant business for about 8 years. I started out at the front of the house, hostessing and waiting tables. I sucked at those jobs because I'm an aspie. I always inadvertently looked sad or angry, and sometimes I was really nervous and awkward around the people.

So I switched to the kitchen. I've been a dishwasher, delivery driver, prep cook, line cook, and expediter. Dishes, delivery, and prep were the best because I basically worked alone and the work was predictable.

Being on the line was harder because you have to rapidly change pace, deal with the unexpected, multitask, multitask some more, and interact with your highly stressed co-workers. You have to have a witty response for all the jokes and the ability to react sanely to all the stress-induced bitching. Then there's the sensory element - heat, all kinds of smells, slimy textures . . .

It's been about six weeks since I quit my last kitchen job. I always say I'll never work in another restaurant, but I always end up back in one somehow, probably because it's so easy to get a restaurant job no matter where you are. And it's what I know. It's the only field in which I have a good, solid resume.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 8:09 pm

Maybe Kim should work as a cook on a lunch truck. That is a kitchen on wheels that goes to businesses and construction sites. Those cooks can make good money and don't have to deal with others much.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 8:35 pm

That's an interesting idea, Mudboy. Perhaps I shall look into it.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 1:09 pm

I just dabbled as a cook, it wasn't a career, but I do have about 5 years experience, I am also a professional meat cutter, and fish monger. I sort of miss working in food service, I got my start working at a drive inn theater cooking burgers fries and onion rings, then did cook camp cooking in the oil patch here in Alberta, ended up working at different truck stops as dish washer, prep cook, short order cook, and finally line cook which was stressful but it was fast paced. I miss the lifestyle and the crazy people, don't miss the stupid cooking schools grads who can't keep up, bunch of prima donna's

WildMan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Apr 2008, 8:35 pm

When I worked that awful fast food job, the worst part by far was working the grill.

I would do great if things were going real slow.

But then I'd f**k it up horribly once it picked up. I would make a horrible short order cook in a busy diner. I'd get shitcanned in a heartbeat.

The motor skills and having to keep track of five billion things at once, especially when all the hamburger patties look exactly the same, was too much for me.