Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

EvilOlive
Raven
Raven

26 Apr 2008, 2:03 pm

I was supposed to work from 9a.m. to 1 p.m.. and I just woke up and it is 2p.m.! !!
yeeks...
i am done for right?
I should just turn in my elevator access badge.....write my boss a note and leave it at that...i guess...

zee
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 2:22 pm

Feign illness, and call your boss ASAP. Don't be overly apologetic or she might get suspicious, and to make sure you don't sleep in again, get 3 alarm clocks, set them for slightly different times, and place them in different parts of the room.
I always have the earliest alarm right by my pillow, the 2nd on the floor, and the 3rd (and loudest) on a shelf, so I have to get up to turn it off.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 3:00 pm

if you have a 3rd shift job like that, you need to adjust your sleep schedule. It's a pain, but it's the way you get through it. (Did that for 5 years, 12 to 8am..)

EvilOlive
Raven
Raven

27 Apr 2008, 10:32 pm

I have been super-melty for the past couple days... :cry:

Did not call my boss till this morning...

I said that if my no-call-no show meant that I am fired, I understand and it is no big deal. I can drop off my access badge with the box office on monday morning.
I have not been doing very well at this job anyhow. :(
I only made one sale, and that was on my first day.
All the other people who are being hired seem really polished and ambitious...as though they intend to move up the ladder and into other departments.
I am having actual conversations with the customers, but just can't get them to close...
Every time I talk to another customer who does not close, i feel so crappy...and then i always get a lecture about what I am doing wrong.

i am also anxious about my non-access to a shower....

not having access to a shower means I have to take sink baths, which are not incredibly effective...I really can't tell how badly I must smell to everyone else....this will continue to be a problem at every job I have till we get our shower finished.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 12:50 am

Can you shower at a pool or something? (I actually do that a lot, our shower sucks!) Or maybe the YWCA or there may even be a shower at the theatre (think dressing rooms).

It sounds like you have a stressful job, but you shouldn't give up because of your own negativity. If they fire you, then at least it's not your fault and you can move on, but don't beat yourself up.
People do have bad days from time to time, and sleeping in happens. Most employers will be forgiving, as long as you communicate the fact to them. I would still call them or show up for your next shift, and apologize. You'll need some sort of explaination of why you didn't call, the only thing I can think of is that you didn't have access to a phone because you were too sick, or that you didn't know the number.

EvilOlive
Raven
Raven

28 Apr 2008, 1:46 am

There is a ymca downtown, but it is way expensive...When I take a shower, it means taking the bus.across town to Flakey's old internet business, which is run out of a house that has a shower..but since I have been working almost full time, my schedule does not exactly permit...

I am told I should maybe ask some people who run a fellow art space if i can shower over there, but I don't yet feel comfortable imposing...just like I think it would be impossible for me to take a shower at the theatre, since I am but a lowly telemarketer.

anyway
I actually didn't know the number of my work off hand because I had misplaced my phone...and the ringer was off. My phone was also my alarm clock...which is partially why i did not wake up in time...when i did call though, all i had to do was look the number up on the internet and follow the office directory.
I am really horrible at feigning sickness due to semi-aspie truth telling disease...
I left the message where I told the truth..and I guess I will go into work tomorrow depite the feeling of deep dread I have.... :roll:
I will be prepared...if necessary to turn in my badge...I just hope I don't um...get all um....melty....and such...

EvilOlive
Raven
Raven

28 Apr 2008, 2:00 am

i have sorta been working all this dread up in my mind more than neccessary...
I have to make money somehow though...
Like I said in my other thread on this topic...I really stick out like a sore thumb whereever I go in annoying ways...my voice..the way i dress...my akward clumsiness....bah...
I can't stop with the negative affirmations...

I just need to find a job where I am not selling stuff.... :(

28 Apr 2008, 2:02 am

Do you have an alarm clock? Can't you use it?

EvilOlive
Raven
Raven

28 Apr 2008, 8:03 am

my phone has an alarm clock...I use that...on the day when I slept through my shift though...it was misplaced and the ringer was off.
Today, i happened to wake up hours before the thing was set to go off... :?

zee
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 11:44 pm

Are you still working there?

nomnom_hamster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 May 2008, 1:14 am

Poor olive :(

Hugs?

EvilOlive
Raven
Raven

01 May 2008, 12:39 pm

Thanks...I quit the job yesterday as a matter-of-fact....

I have been really depressed lately... :cry:

nomnom_hamster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 May 2008, 9:25 pm

:(
Let us know if you need talks

aguales
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 May 2008, 9:22 am

Don't worry you'll find something else. I'm struggling in the job front as well...

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 2:37 pm

EvilOlive wrote:
I was supposed to work from 9a.m. to 1 p.m.. and I just woke up and it is 2p.m.! !!
yeeks...
i am done for right?
I should just turn in my elevator access badge.....write my boss a note and leave it at that...i guess...

Done that before, I look at my alarm clock and I am 1 hour late. I got a cellphone call from my boss that woke me up.

I didn't have trouble after apologizing. I didn't have that problem again.