Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 May 2008, 12:56 pm

I work in a cancer research lab. The other day the principal investigator (basically, head scientist, author and idea man) was asking me questions about my project in the corridor, which I had some difficulty answering. Sometimes the question was ambiguous (to me), and sometimes I just had trouble translating his questions into something I understood and then re-translating my answers into something he understood. That wasn't good. I didn't want him going away with the idea that I didn't understand my own project. So today I told him that I had AS (he knew what it was! he was surprised to hear it) and why I had had difficulty. He understood (!) and said that knowing this, he'd let me have a little more time to answer his questions.
Relief!
I am glad that he questions me, though - both to uncover areas where I might not have the right idea and to give me a structure for answering... otherwise he might end up with a very good, but very long, detailed and monologuish explanation!

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 1:47 pm

Definitely good news. It's nice when someone actually gets it.

merrymadscientist
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 2:03 pm

That's cool. My boss (also a PI in a lab) was really kind when I was very depressed, and even took me to hospital (very embarassing now I think back) and told me that his father was manic depressive. He seemed to really sympathise then, but now things are very awkward between us. I dont know whether he is disappointed in my unproductivity over the past year on antidepressants, or whether he is fed up with me because I seem to be lapsing into depression again, or perhaps even is worried about me. But our conversations in the corridor are very awkward (I suspect it is mainly my fault for not being able to interact properly), particularly at the end - neither of us seem to know how to end the conversation so we stand there in silence for a bit. There is no chance of me telling him that I might be AS - I have already made that mistake with several (ex) friends and noone here knows what it is. Furthermore I doubt often myself that I have it.

DevonB
Toucan
Toucan

12 May 2008, 2:13 pm

HUZZAH! Good for you!! !!

It takes one less stressor from your life. Work can be especially difficult. Now that he knows, you can be more relaxed about it.

I'm happy for you.

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 6:31 pm

That made me happy to read that :)