Illegal Mexicans steal all the jobs where I live...

Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 1:28 am

wsmac wrote:
At least we've finally locked down the Northern border and are keeping those Canadian-Mexicans out of this country! Them and that beer they drink!:twisted:

You can thank(and we can blame) those darn mythbusters for that! No more catapulting Canadians across the border!

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 1:57 am

CanyonWind wrote:
Just curious here.

How many Americans here besides me had ancestors who came to this country with practically nothing and took any job they can get, no matter how difficult, dirty, dangerous, and low paying it was?

How many Americans here had people getting mad at their ancestors because they were coming into this country and "stealing jobs?"

Don't bother telling me your ancestors were "legal." Back then anybody could get into this country.

I've done a lot of construction, so I've worked with a lot of illegal "Mexicans," a lot of them are actually from countries other than Mexico. They did the roughest, most dangerous jobs, and they got paid less than we did. Ain't saying I got along with every single one, but they generally treated me better than the locals.

I don't have any reason to be mad at them for doing exactly what my great-grandparents did and acting decent about it.

Hell, I'm an aspie, but I'm not an engineer or a movie director. I still have to take any job I can get, no matter how difficult, dirty, dangerous, and low paying it is.

Goddamn aspies, stealing jobs from normal people.

:hail: :hail:

I wouldn't dare delete one letter from that post - it's perfect.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 3:45 am

Fuzzy wrote:
wsmac wrote:
At least we've finally locked down the Northern border and are keeping those Canadian-Mexicans out of this country! Them and that beer they drink!:twisted:

You can thank(and we can blame) those darn mythbusters for that! No more catapulting Canadians across the border!

Yeah, but once again you have the Great White North all to yourselves... betcha pretty happy aboot that EH? :wink:

Actually I'm gonna miss the free crossing into Canada.. I hear we have to use our passports now.
Really makes it seem like I'm heading to a different country if I have to use my passport! :P

ja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 May 2008, 6:31 am

illegal mexican taking jobs, or
teaching hate in state-funded muslim schools

our country has been infiltrated

tailfins1959
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2008, 6:58 am

Politically, this whole thing is being framed wrong (if you want to win). "Wage degradation" and "flood the labor market" should be the focus. The number of Mexicans water down your wages; the number of Asian Indians water down my market value. I'm forced to work with them in the same cubical-bloc. My only edge is that in general, Asian Indians don't "push" for perfection. They stop when they find *A* solution and don't go on for the best solution to a problem. There is a certain value in the business world for people that have "fight" in them (along with the skills not to leave ill will behind after the task is done). Their nationality doesn't matter. In fact, the way I'm framing this can win established Indians and Mexicans to your side of the issue.

wsmac wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:
wsmac wrote:

Yeah, but once again you have the Great White North all to yourselves... betcha pretty happy aboot that EH? :wink:

Actually I'm gonna miss the free crossing into Canada.. I hear we have to use our passports now.
Really makes it seem like I'm heading to a different country if I have to use my passport! :P

I hear that in Canada, the nationality that floods the labor market is Pakistani.

I've still got a pair
Yeah honey, I'm still a guy

sinagua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2008, 11:14 am

sinsboldly wrote:
sinagua wrote:

And I have been incredibly disheartened by the "Juan Crow" attitudes prevalent in this country (although I know such discrimination is by no means restricted to the U.S. - just look at South Africa recently).

Juan = John
James (Jim) = Diego

it's the Diego Crow attitude, isn't it?

Merle

Did not know James = Diego! Interesting. It's a term I heard on "Latino USA" today on the radio, thought it was interesting/amusing.

"Where in the world is Carmen...Jim?" ;)

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 11:55 am

sinagua wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
sinagua wrote:

And I have been incredibly disheartened by the "Juan Crow" attitudes prevalent in this country (although I know such discrimination is by no means restricted to the U.S. - just look at South Africa recently).

Juan = John
James (Jim) = Diego

it's the Diego Crow attitude, isn't it?

Merle

Did not know James = Diego! Interesting. It's a term I heard on "Latino USA" today on the radio, thought it was interesting/amusing.

"Where in the world is Carmen...Jim?" ;)

make that St. James! San = Saint
Merle

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 1:21 pm

Cinephile, have you tried working through employment agencies in your area? I've gotten some of my best jobs that way (including a three-year stint as a licensing clerk in San Diego - had I known then what I know now, I could have hit them with an ADA lawsuit for the way I was let go...).

Here's a link to a listing of agencies in your area, with addresses and phone numbers. Good luck on your job search, and let us know how it goes!

The_Cinephile
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 May 2008, 9:55 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
Cinephile, have you tried working through employment agencies in your area? I've gotten some of my best jobs that way (including a three-year stint as a licensing clerk in San Diego - had I known then what I know now, I could have hit them with an ADA lawsuit for the way I was let go...).

Here's a link to a listing of agencies in your area, with addresses and phone numbers. Good luck on your job search, and let us know how it goes!

Thanks Deaconblues.
Really appreciate it!

Also, to all of you, I shouldn't have used the word "steal".
That's not accurate at all.
This was kind of written in frustration.
I'm just super pissed off about my job situation.
But seriously, every time I apply for a job, I get denied, and the next day a bunch of illegal immigrant are working there.
And it's pretty obvious that they're illegal, because they know little English.
I'm not going to rant about how "they should learn English because they're in America", because I personally think we should meet them somewhere in the middle.

And back to Deaconblues:
I have no idea how these agencies work...
I'm going to assume these services cost money...right?
I don't know, I just always thought that those were more for homeless or ret*d people, or just your average joe that gets laid off.
I'm almost 18, so I don't know.
Maybe it is time to go to the agencies!

Undead undead undead
The virginal brides file past his tomb
Strewn with time's dead flowers
Bereft in deathly bloom
Alone in a darkened room

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 10:24 pm

The_Cinephile wrote:

Some take a finders fee from the place of employment, and some take a tiny wage that is charged on top of yours. You dont lose money to them; the employer pays them a dollar an hour or some amount for a set period of time.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 10:57 pm

The_Cinephile wrote:
DeaconBlues wrote:

Thanks Deaconblues.
Really appreciate it!

Also, to all of you, I shouldn't have used the word "steal".
That's not accurate at all.
This was kind of written in frustration.
I'm just super pissed off about my job situation.
But seriously, every time I apply for a job, I get denied, and the next day a bunch of illegal immigrant are working there.
And it's pretty obvious that they're illegal, because they know little English.
I'm not going to rant about how "they should learn English because they're in America", because I personally think we should meet them somewhere in the middle.

And back to Deaconblues:
I have no idea how these agencies work...
I don't know, I just always thought that those were more for homeless or ret*d people, or just your average joe that gets laid off.
I'm almost 18, so I don't know.
Maybe it is time to go to the agencies!

every morning on my way to work I either walk or ride the bus by the "Labor Ready" store front. Every one of those guys sitting in the chairs in the morning are watching the video monitors in the main room, looking for a job to come up. They can be set out immediately because they have REGISTERED THEIR SKILL SETS WITH THE AGENCY. They have the agency backing them up and they go work 'per Diem.' (or day pay) until they 'work out' at a job and are hired on by the subcontractor.

it is always good to have someone have your back when going out for work. How else do you prove your skills but by showing someone what you can do. just because they don't speak English does not mean they don't know how to do the physical work. And yeah, they take a bit for them selves out of the pay, but you know what they are paying you before you go to the job, and frankly, half a loaf is better than none.

I always make out a resume of my proveable skills and then set up a way to show them what I can do if asked. what do you do?

Merle

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 11:08 pm

Well, thats capitalism

They are willing to work harder for less :?

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 11:17 pm

^ That's true. On the one hand. I've read of cases in cases where illegal immigrants have been removed, companies have been forced to raise their wages to a more competitive rate implying a superior wage for the local Americans. On the other hand, Mexican workers imply lower costs for greater productivity (a boon to both employers and the Mexican immigrants and the cost of the products they produce). Take your pick...

psych
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 12:32 am

Quote:
the illegals

what an unpleasant phrase :(

noone is illegal

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 12:43 am

Labor Ready can be a good short-term solution - I've done that one on occasion - but usually, that's aimed more at the physical-labor market, paying just over minimum wage. If that's what you're looking for, Labor Ready's a good choice - if they can't get you a job that day, you get half a day's pay just for having been there.

The other agencies I listed for you don't charge you anything. The way they make their money is, if your pay is (say) $10/hr, the employer is actually paying the agency closer to $18/hr. The employer doesn't have any overhead, because you've already been vetted by the agency, so they're still money ahead by doing this. (The job I mentioned in San Diego started with a pay rate of $8.50/hr for me; after three months, when the company could hire me directly without paying a penalty fee, they signed me up for $10/hr to start. They got a completely trained employee, and three months' work without the need to screen their own applicants, and Office Temporaries got paid for three months of my work.) :)

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 12:44 am

psych wrote:
Quote:
the illegals

what an unpleasant phrase :(

noone is illegal

Legality is a societal construct. Whoever we want to be illegal is illegal.