Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Manfrednissley
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 May 2008, 3:23 pm

Well folks here is the deal. I have aspergers and I live with my aunt who is also my boss. she is known to be the most opionated of 6 sisters and 2 brothers. As i stated i am a baker. my problem is that for some reason she feals she has to retrain me every few months due to me doing good for a while and then forgeting to clean up, making a mistake or doing something "antisocial." She is cutting my hours now and i am gettin kinda mad. I have been doing a lot better lately and yet she is still after me. She knows i have aspergers and i am going to a psychologist once a month.
my question is
1. should i get another job, why or why not
2. should i move ( i mow the yard as my rent)
3. is there another option?

DevonB
Toucan
Toucan

22 May 2008, 3:56 pm

I hear your frustration, however, I can understand how she feels as well.

For me a list of what I have to do helps me be consistent. I have the habit of doing really well, and then after time I get slack and start making mistakes, or getting a bit lazy. Then my boss gets all over me, or asks if there is anything wrong.

I have found that if I make lists, and refer to them weekly, I stay on track. Make a system for yourself and put the list of things you have to do on a wall somewhere that you can see it. If you put it under plastic you can use a dry erase marker and check it off as you go.

If you think working for a relative is worse than working for a stranger, you might be surprised. A stranger at a different workplace may not be willing to "retrain" you, or even remind you of your duties. They will outright fire you. Mowing a lawn for your rent is extremely lucky. And if you get fired, how will you pay?

I know you feel stuck, but consider the alternatives before acting. Can you truly manage an outside job? How much will rent cost you? Do you have enough saved up in case you are without a job?

Your aunt may be opinionated, but she is running a business. She needs things done right, all the time, not just most of the time. Think about the things you can be doing to improve the situation. You do have the power.

Manfrednissley
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 May 2008, 4:46 pm

DevonB wrote:
I hear your frustration, however, I can understand how she feels as well.

For me a list of what I have to do helps me be consistent. I have the habit of doing really well, and then after time I get slack and start making mistakes, or getting a bit lazy. Then my boss gets all over me, or asks if there is anything wrong.

I have found that if I make lists, and refer to them weekly, I stay on track. Make a system for yourself and put the list of things you have to do on a wall somewhere that you can see it. If you put it under plastic you can use a dry erase marker and check it off as you go.

If you think working for a relative is worse than working for a stranger, you might be surprised. A stranger at a different workplace may not be willing to "retrain" you, or even remind you of your duties. They will outright fire you. Mowing a lawn for your rent is extremely lucky. And if you get fired, how will you pay?

I know you feel stuck, but consider the alternatives before acting. Can you truly manage an outside job? How much will rent cost you? Do you have enough saved up in case you are without a job?

Your aunt may be opinionated, but she is running a business. She needs things done right, all the time, not just most of the time. Think about the things you can be doing to improve the situation. You do have the power.

i understand where you are coming from.
i used to work fast food and was one of the few people left after almost 2 years had elapsed.
i think the main problem is that i do not have a set rutine. its a small bakery and i rarely have a set time to be there.
she ssaid today that the main problem is that she feels that instead of giving energy im taking energy.
i can see her point

V001
Toucan
Toucan

25 May 2008, 5:33 pm

In a baking business, not keeping it clean can get it shut down by the Food heath board. Mistakes can cost alot of money. She is family to you but still cleaning and making few mistakes is not asking too much. You can ask her to overlook the antisocial but not the other two. that's my opinion 8)