"Are you ready for the real world?"

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Mutanatia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Aug 2008, 9:45 pm

(If this isn't the right place, please move this)

Has anyone ever been asked that by a shrink or a psychiatrist or something? What did you say?

I said, "Yes," and elaborated further:
"I would love to have at least a medium-paying job where you work 9-5, 8-7, 7-9, etc. This isn't just because I'm getting paid. It's more of practical reason. Excepting the weekends, when I'd have to shop, I'd love to be able to come home after a hard day's work to no one, be responsible to no one but myself, and just destress. Just think! Nobody in your family knocking on your door, etc., just..alone :D"

I think his concern stems from the fact that I have more of a boyish vs. adultish-type personality at home, but when I'm at school, I really don't hae that personality. Sure, I mean do/say things that aren't exactly appropriate, but does that mean that I'm not able to (provided I have some help; IE you guys) navigate the hardwired NT structure that will go into a job. Sure, I'm not one for small talk, and I get straight to the point--but even then, I have some tact. I've been around my NT mom long enough to have at least learned tact from her. Around the water cooler, unless I'm approached, I'll probably be silent. But in terms of "Are you ready/prepared for the real word," the answer is yes. Whether I will be able to fit in or anything, that's an entirely different situation. But I am ready for it :)

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 10:13 pm

There is no "real world".

Mutanatia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Aug 2008, 10:15 pm

Nan wrote:
There is no "real world".

Well, by "real world," they meant "the non-college, working life"

IpsoRandomo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2008, 12:21 am

I'll be ready for the "real-world," though I'll be my immature aspy self in my free-time.