Trying to find an Internship. *headdesk*

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

KingChaosNinja
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Aug 2008, 7:46 pm

I'm on my last semester of classes and I've got to get an internship so I can get my degree. My class started this process about two weeks ago and in that time I've been selected for two interviews. Everyone else has been on about 4-7. I didn't get called back for a second interview with the first place, but the kid in my class that got caught cheating on the final last semester and comes to class so high that he sucks at playing Tetris which is all he does anymore, he got a second interview. Then the second place I interviewed with, after going there I decided it wasn't that great of an opportunity because it wouldn't be paid, I'd be completely alone with no one in charge over me left to take care of a whole financial institutions IT, I wouldn't be able to network with anyone else in my field, and there would be no chance to stay on.

So I talked to my placement councilor who helps me get these interviews and he tells me that I still have 2 months to come up with something but it's good that I'm taking the initiative to come and talk to him about it and that I don't have to worry just yet. Then he checks his email to see if he heard back from the second place I interviewed and he said that they didn't pick me but it's fine.

Then today he calls me and asks me to come visit him and I'm hoping that he's got another interview lined up. Well he tells me that I did get the position (but tried not to mention that the other two turned it down). I told him that I didn't want it and why and he tells me that he doesn't want to see me missing out and that this doesn't show that I'm taking this seriously and some other crap that he tried to try and guilt me into this internship. I'm actually offended because I think he tried to use his knowledge of my AS to get me to do something I didn't want to. It was like he was trying to get me to buckle by telling me I didn't know better.

*I picked this username 4 years ago when I was in high school. Don't hold it against me.

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 11:21 pm

When I was in college I had to do an internship. On my second day the man in charge sexually harassed me, so I immediately called the internship office. The woman there was very sympathetic but said all the other internships had already been filled. When I asked if there was any way to get out of the internship she told me if I transferred to the evening division I wouldn't have to do one. She said my diploma would not indicate I graduated from evening classes, either. If you don't find a good internship, is this something that would work where you are?

I know it would be better to get an internship and have that to add to your resume, but sometimes a good one just isn't available.

KingChaosNinja
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Aug 2008, 11:34 pm

I'm an IT/Network Administration major so it's not like I'm going to have a hard time finding one, and my resume is just fine. It's just the process itself is tedious and I don't interview well [surprise!] and I just wanted to vent about it. I'm sorry to hear that you got stuck in an uncomfortable place like that though. How did it turn out?

*I picked this username 4 years ago when I was in high school. Don't hold it against me.

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 1:30 am

It turned out fine, thanks. I got a diploma (accounting) that didn't say I was in the evening division, and got a job shortly afterwards. Thanks for asking! I'm glad to hear that you're not going to have any trouble finding another internship, and that your resume doesn't need one anyway. :D