Are there any non scam online jobs?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2005, 12:41 am

Hey I was wondering if anyone worked from home online doing any sort of work? Is it possible? Where would I start to look? I am leaving my job. (tired of being taken advantage of and being treated like crap) Ultimately if online isnt possible my other idea is something very simple like cleaning hotel, janitorial, or stocking shelves. Hopefully within the town I live in. Cause winter is coming and I cant drive my car in any of that kind of stuff. Ive looked at my states job site and its really scary cause most of them list needing experience etc... I know you get a lot of these what should I do... But mainly just throwing out the online thing and saying what I have in mind really... Im really hoping to find something fast before I go another year without work and in and out of the fun house...

Edit: I also wanted to ask everyone (cause this is what Im really feeling atm) is that:

It seems to me its always going to be so damn difficult working. Does anyone here do really well? It just seems so ugh I dont know... The most others complain about is just the nuisance of going etc... But for me thats not it, just different and very challenging. Does anyone here not find it challenging and can you give any tips for coping with work?

ZedSimon
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2005, 1:04 pm

Here's the answer to your first question: One place to look for onlkine work is craigslist. Basically it's like a huge classified ad section. Just hit up craiglist.org and click the city closest to you. If you're after a writing job, you'll probably find one under Writing, Misc, or the Gigs section. That's how I found my job. And BE CAREFUL! There are a lot of scammers out there, so you may have to do some homework before you say yes to someone.

Second answer: I generally do OK at work. I've had my job for just about 3 1/2 years now, and I love it. I just don't like the place I work. No raises, crappy hours (I just got up an hour ago from a 12-hour shift), and a condescending supervisor who doesn't communicate enough with us. We're trying to replace him but we've had some setbacks in the company that have seriously delayed our progress. For me the real challenge is to keep my mouth shut about things that bother me, since I'm not really a "shut up and do your job" type. I need to provide input to improve things, and they're not too receptive to that.

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2005, 1:18 pm

Thanks for the site! I had never heard of it before! :)

ZedSimon
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2005, 2:39 pm

And just in case my shoddy typing confused you, here's the link:

http://www.craigslist.org

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2005, 2:48 pm

Heh, thats funny. Because when I typed it out I just automatically put a s in it anyway.

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Oct 2005, 6:21 pm

I used to work in IT support. I was only the intern so they didnt allow me to do it, but the rest of my team worked from home 4 days a week having a daily conference over the phone. Sounded like the ideal job for Aspies to me. Unfortunately now that ive graduated, i have since found out almost the entire team has dissolved and has been outsourced to asia. So no job opportunities for me :(

Also i know of a few people who do web design/development/maintenance and work purely from home. This isnt a freelance thing either, a permenent full time job !

So how do spot a potential scammer on these kind of sites ?

psych
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2005, 11:29 am

I used to be a semi-professional internet gambler. I did ok just from following an advice line, but someone with good analytical abilities and without carpal tunel syndrome could go a lot further. Ive since had to stop as someone informed on me (im on disability benefits)

Its definately not something i would ever recommend as a full-time source of income (the stress would be unbearable) but if your going to be at home anyway... it need only take a few minutes each day.

I used to dread the inevitable 'so, what do you do?' when meeting new people. 3 months ago i couldnt get asked enough. [smug] 'actually, im a pro-gambler' [/smug] - its impossible to say that out loud and not feel cool :D