Asperger's Syndrome and the Military

Page 6 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

AutisticAmerican24
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jun 2013, 8:51 pm

But how long is each part of the physical examination ?

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 1:07 pm

10 minutes tops, most of the time is spent standing in line waiting for the examinations.

AutisticAmerican24
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jun 2013, 6:52 pm

I apologize, but you're gonna have to be a little more specific. The total duration of the overall physical examination takes 10 minutes or each part of the physical examination takes 10 minutes ?

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 11:07 pm

Each part I guess. There was one part of the exam where you're in a room full of guys in your underware and they'd line you up and have you move around while some doc generally assesses your skeletal structure (I guess it was cheaper than x-rays). They did a skin exam, then had us go into a room one at a time so a doctor could examine the rest if you know what I mean. This was more than 10 years ago, my recollection isn't very good on how long it took. All I know is that most of the time was spent waiting in line, when there are a hundred or so people getting examined and only so many doctors, they have to make time to examine everyone.

AutisticAmerican24
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jun 2013, 11:59 pm

Thank you so much for your information. By the way, what unit were you in ? Were you in infantry, combat engineer ? Are you still serving right now ?

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2013, 6:03 am

No problem. I was a medic assigned to an engineer unit. I was part of 172nd stryker brigade out of alaska at the highlight of my career. I'm a reservist now.

Good luck at MEPS, do you have an MOS in mind?

glow
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2013, 6:27 pm

SteveBorg wrote:
MacDragard wrote:
I think it depends on what branch of the military you go into and what your job is. I think people with AS would do best in the Air Force and maybe the Navy, particularly in the tech fields. At the same time, no matter what branch of the military you go into, you just have to know what to expect, and researching online will help better prepare you.

EXPECT that you're going to get yelled at, possibly humiliated, and told how much of an idiot you are in the beginning.
EXPECT that nothing is set in stone as far as things like jobs and locations go.
EXPECT that it is a high-stress environment where you have to work as a team.
EXPECT that if you want to succeed in the military, you have to get involved as much of you can and prove you can be a leader.
EXPECT that you're going to feel like you made the biggest mistake of your life by joining at any moment in time.

If you are willing to cope with these aspects, then you shouldn't have a problem in the military. I'd say if it's something you really want to do, go for it.

As a licensed counselor outside of the military, I wonder if, with more advocacy and information, the military might be able to capitalize on strengths of Aspies. In an ideal world, the ASVAB results could be used together with strengths that Aspies have to place a candidate in a best fit position. But that's in the ideal future, probably.

I agree with both arguments and wonder if the same can be applied in a civilian job as in todays clinical world, everything seems multiplied, so instead of thinking that you are not a winner in fact you are. Just in a timed capacity where everyone knows their limits but you don't, correct?

AutisticAmerican24
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jun 2013, 2:10 am

MDD123 wrote:
No problem. I was a medic assigned to an engineer unit. I was part of 172nd stryker brigade out of alaska at the highlight of my career. I'm a reservist now.

Sorry, I apologize that it took me so long for me to respond. As a matter of fact, I have decided on a specific MOS. And after finishing BT and all the other requirements / courses required for my chosen MOS, then I'll apply for Special Forces Assessment and Selection at Fort Mackall, North Carolina. I've wanted to be a member of Special Forces ( Green Berets ) ever since my sophomore year in high school. I graduated from HS in 2010 at age 17.

AutisticAmerican24
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jun 2013, 2:11 am

MDD123 wrote:

Sorry, I apologize that it took me so long for me to respond. As a matter of fact, I have decided on a specific MOS. And after finishing BT and all the other requirements / courses required for my chosen MOS, then I'll apply for Special Forces Assessment and Selection at Fort Mackall, North Carolina. I've wanted to be a member of Special Forces ( Green Berets ) ever since my sophomore year in high school. I graduated from HS in 2010 at age 17.

FerrariFan
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jul 2013, 3:17 pm

Hello all,

I am currently Active Duty and have been for almost 15 years. I have not been diagnosed, but all signs are pointing that this is where I belong.

Having said that, if you can put up with basic training and then the subsequent schools after that you should be fine. The active part isnt so bad, but some of the schools are rough - especially the ones you talked about heading toward being a Green Beret. I personally dont think thats a great place, but if it fulfills your dreams then by all means go after it.

If you have any questions please pm me or ask away. I am new to the forum but will try to revisit here more frequently.

FF

AutisticAmerican24
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jul 2013, 11:10 pm

Please help ! I've been working on my college degree for three years now and have failed almost every single class, As an alternative, I am strongly considering joining the U.S. Army as a last resort. What should I do ? Keep working on my degree or join the Army, or join the Army and then work on my degree while I'm in ? Please help !

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2013, 6:43 am

If you can't manage college, what makes you think you'll do well in the military?

Unless a military person lacks the intelligence to do well in school, they are generally successful students because they have the DISCIPLINE to follow through with what they start. In contrast, a lot of college students would wash out of the military.

Academia has made it easier and easier for sub-standard students to graduate with a degree.

Relicanth7
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2013, 11:51 pm

hitokage wrote:
I came across this just the other day - as of April 28, 2010 DoD Directive 6130.03 added among many things Asperger Syndrome to the medical standards - see this PDF (listed on page 42 - section starts on page 41).

This document effectively ruined my life, killed a full ride to one of the best schools in my state... all because I was diagnosed via public school affairs. :(

glow
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 6:38 am

The british military code of justice is similar to the u.s but with more focus and understanding regarding your own condition I think and seeing as ive been there and done that, I could honestly say that a logistics job may have been a good bet and the best one for aspergians out there seeing as all the other ones require a great deal of more input. no offence to others who are hoping to clean up their stratedgy, or hopefully scrub the decks clean.

AutisticAmerican24
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Sep 2013, 7:29 pm

Are there any other militaries out there that have a enlistment ban on Asperger's syndrome ? I know that it's possible to join the Canadian, Australian, and U.S. militaries with Asperger's but Israel and Iran, they don't have any restrictions or bans.

What about Poland, Germany, the Netherlands and the rest of Europe and Asia ? What are their policies towards allowing people with Asperger's to join the military ?

stabilator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2013, 12:31 am

I was in the US Army for eight years. All that time I had no clue I had Aspergers so it was no block against enlisting. I just knew I was very different, maybe overly anxious in certain situations, and a bit sensitive to a few things.

My Army job was the only one that I had much success in. The military wanted me because of my science and mechanics aptitudes, my college credits and my physical fitness. All my other job hunting attempts required high social skills and lots of social interactions, and pleasant, feminine appearance -my FAIL!

My Advantages: The army trained me for a technical skill, I liked using my technical skills, working hard, the physical training, got licensed on lots of vehicles, I had the best pay I ever had by far, I had housing, I liked the structure, the teamwork (when it worked), liked learning how to use gadgets and stuff, enjoyed being around some things I am interested in like helicopters and airfields, learned more things about people than I ever did in my home town, gained some self confidence, learned a lot of stuff, and did some fun training activities.

My Disadvantages: My biggest problem in the Army was that I have sensory processing disorder (only recently identified what it is) so noise sometimes overwhelmed my senses (mainly loud music, cigarette smoke, some chemicals, sometimes loud yelling), I made a lot of mistakes with jokes and small talk and other social interactions where I failed to interpret social protocols, some gear I had to wear was uncomfortable, I didn't like getting yelled at much but it wasn't unbearable (I never was intimidated near as much as by my father as a child), I didn't like shop/office politics, some of the times when I was in really close quarters were pretty annoying, I am not much into the boredom during down times, I don't perform all that well when badly sleep deprived (move slower, make more mistakes).