Someone please help me help my son!

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ster
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2005, 5:38 am

just when i thought nasty boy was gone, he shows up at the house yesterday :x
both sons went out with him....it was near supper time, so at least i was able to limit the contact by telling them they needed to be home for supper. aaarrrggghhh!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !
when i was young, the only piece of good advice my parents ever gave me was this:
"as a parent, even if you don't like your childs friends dont push them away too hard. ...the more you try to push that bad influence away, the more tempting it becomes for the child to latch onto the bad influence."...............it is SOOOOOOOOOOO hard to follow this advice, but I want my boys ( within reason) to find out for themselves that some people don't have their best interest in mind. with Aspie-son, we pointed out a few times the reasons why we thought nasty boy deserved the name nasty boy......for a long time aspie-son stood up for nasty boy, as son always had a hard time making and keeping friends. it has taken a long time for him to understand and accept the way we see things.....i still don't know that he really gets it. :?

julieme
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Oct 2005, 7:03 am

Hi all,

I (and I'm guessing most aspies) work best when I alaready have a framework to organize things into. Two more tips from growing up what works for me related to friends and teen behaviors.

It is easier to deal with things theoretically before they happen. For example my parents went over different categories of social interaction like using people, friends, partners, going to people's houses, asking for/recieving facors. That way if something came up we could talk about classifying it and then advance to the characteristics of the classification instead of arguing about who did/said what.

Also my parents and I discussed different rule classifications before hand and then delt with dicipline/behavior issues according to the classification. There were absolute safety rules like do not drink and drive and always tell us where you are going and how to find you if we have to (please define have to explicetly or it will cause problems); social norms that have no real purpose but will adversly affect me if ignored; rules subject to negotiation.

Most of what you guys have mentioned are rules subject to negotiation. AS folks will test authority more than others or at least I do --- so involve your kids in making rules and accept their work arounds (like carrying a cell phone instead of a curfew) if they seem reasonable.

jbrawn26
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Nov 2005, 10:35 am

I put in my child's IEP that he would NOT be required to do more than 45 mins. of regular homework and 20 mins of reading ( chapter books that interest him ) a night. I simply refused to make him. They were sending home mad minutes and was taking more than an hour to complete them because they were too easy and he could care less I found that having them send home something with a little bit of a challenge worked much better and In the 4th grade an hour a night is plenty for any child but especially a child who is on a shortened day obviously for a reason. we also have a system in place for what privileges will be received depending on how cooperative he is in finishing the work without a fight. I also have him sit down as soon as he comes home from school to do it and get it over with instead of making him break from something he likes and getting back into work. this way he has the rest of the afternoon to use the privileges he earns and we get a lot less stress from fighting with him over it.

DedeJo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Nov 2005, 1:27 pm

Rowan,

Quote:
We thought that by making him have to come home ten minutes early for every minute he was late would work. We tried to explain to him that it was better to come in one minute early instead of being one minute late. We were trying to teach him that he has privileges, and he has to earn those privileges, so that he wouldn't start trying to take advantage of those privileges. It got to the point of us giving him an inch and him taking a mile. He doesn't really have any chores. Every now and then he has to do dishes, clean his room, and take the garbage out to the road once a week for garbage pickup. (Which most of the time he doesn't because he forgets.) During the summertime he has to mow the lawn, but that's about it. During the summer he is allowed to stay out until 10 p.m., and during the school year he has to be in at 8:30 p.m., but we do have rules and boundaries, and we do expect them to be followed. I'm not an expert at this, and I can only do the best that I know how to do, which is what I am trying to do.

This is my first time posting, but after reading your frustrations I felt I had to add my two cents for what it's worth.

These sound like very typical teenage issues that most parents deal with. There were times when I thought my daughter had two personalities. When I met her friend's parents, they would tell me what a wonderful girl she was and how well behaved and polite she was; however, at home we saw the opposite behavior.

Believe me when I say that no one wants to see their child taken advantage of and picked on or called names. Unfortunately, teens today do just that. One of my daughters so called friends actually wrote something rather threatening on a web site about my daughter and we had to call the police a couple of times. It is a very stressful time when our children are going through incidents such as that.

I do agree with some of the advice you have received from others in that it might be a good idea to teach your son how not to be taken advantage of by this bully. I personally can understand you lashing out at the kid as I have done that myself. We are only human as parents, but your son will be humiliated by your actions and you will be the enemy instead of this bully. I'm sure you don't want that. You mean well and you care about your son and want what is best for him. In my experience, any friend of my daughter's whom I did not approve of she would like them even more. Not only is your son dealing with this Dx and issues in his own brain, but he is also going through the typical teen hormonal issues that often leave teens feeling fraught with confusion and turmoil.

My daughter has never been diagnosed but she had many of the same organizational, bad grades, and other issues that many have written throughout these postings. My son was diagnosed with early infantile autism at the age of 3 years old, so I am familiar with many of the frustrations and horror stories I have read throughout this forum.

Dede

jcmom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Nov 2005, 4:34 pm

First, I want to tell all parents who are dealing with a child affected with any disorder that you are not alone and that you can get through this.
I and my partner have been raising a wonderful son with AS and PA for 17 years.
There are days it is so hard to understand the thinking of the things my son does, but then there are days where my son is doing so well.

One thing to do is take life 1 day at a time and enjoy the simple things.
I have family members who have kids they are pressuring to be perfect. I am happy if my son just smiles and laughs.

Here are some of the things that have worked for us (I am not a doctor. These are just things that have worked for us).
1. Structure is the best thing. My son has even mentioned how he likes more structure than not. Of course this may not work for everyone.

2. Prepare ahead of time any changes in your day. I tell my son 15 minutes before he is to do his next thing, including leaving the house.

3. We have a list. A micro management list. The simple things are listed. Brush teeth, brush hair, etc.. I have found that my son just doesnt think about the things we do out of habit.

4. Encourage short term POSITIVE reinforcement. My son has his list and if he does things on his list he earns computer time. Early on we gave him 5 minutes for each task completed. We do not give computer time unless these things are done. My son will go out of his way to get computer time. We have even been able to get his teacher to use this to help our son get work done in class.
Find out what your child LOVES to do. Use that as a reward.

5. I discourge long term rewards/consequences and some negative punishment. My son just can't manage in his mind anything he is working on for more than a day. I know as a parent it is hard not to punish for bad behavior, but remember sometime they just arent thinking about it. I do give consequences for bad behaviour but I try to think through my decision before I dish out the consequence. I know I can't just allow him to do bad things. But instead of grounding for a week I just take away computer for 1 day and then tell my son I will reward him if he corrects his behavior next time he is faced with making a bad decision.

6. Build a good support system. This place is a good start. Find someone in your life that can help you handle the tough days. My partners has been great. On the days I am weak she is strong. On the days she is weak I try to be strong.

RowanMoonWynd
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Nov 2005, 10:55 pm

jcmom,

Thanks for your reply. I have not been able to be on the computer for awhile, but I wanted you to know I love some of the ideas you use with your son, and will try those with my son. I do have a question. He has this project for career day that he has to do, and he wants to be a video game designer. It's a pretty lenghy and detailed project, and the due date for it is Dec 5th. He doesn't want to do the project and fights me on it because it's not due until later on. I have tried to explain to him that he needs to work on it a little at a time to do a good job, instead of waiting until the last minute to get it done and doing it sloppy. He cannot understand this concept. Can anyone help?

Another question.....does anyone know if Aspies see time differently than we do? Maybe that is what the problem is with him.

pink
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Nov 2005, 6:13 am

Hi, it's pink :D
Long term projects have always been horrible for my aspie son. What I had to do was get the syllabus for the project and do it with him, piece by piece. I don't know if that was a good idea or not. He is doing his long term projects in college independently without problems. Maybe doing it with him was a learning process for him. For anything new I have always had to script things for him. By doing the projects together I was able to keep track of his progress, and he worked better with me than alone. I didn't do the work for him, but with him. Try to get him to go to the library with you. They have books there that provide government data about all different jobs, how much they pay, what education is needed, etc. The librarian should know about these books. They are in the reference section and cannot be taken out but you can copy the pages. Then he can look up other stuff on the internet. Make him do one thing each day: assemble his resources, read over the material, type his bibliography, etc. Good luck ! :D

ster
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2005, 6:57 am

my son always got frustrated with long-term projects...he'd leave everything until the last minute. i've noticed now, however, with my younger son ( not an aspie), that his teachers have broken down the project into seperate due dates . ie; copy of notes due: 12/1, rough draft due: 12/8, final draft due: 12/15............this has helped him to stay on track better. i suppose this would help aspies as well. breaking down the assignment into manageable parts would hopefully help them to realize that it's not something that can be done in 1 or 2 days.

quietangel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2005, 8:23 am

First of all welcome... not wanting to repeat anything previously stated here but has your son had an executive functions assessment done at school? This test evaluates his ability to self organize as well as organize his work. It is very helpful if he is struggling, (he may not be interested in the subject, the work load may be overwhelming, or he may be bored)
My son tends to bring everything he could ever possibly need in his now rolling suitcase. However, when pressed he cannot find anything (which I can relate to I have to force myself to keep things organized or I fall into the same trap).
There is a good book out by the Wrights... Special ed wrights and Wrongs, and there are others which may help you.

God Bless

ghatti
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Dec 2005, 10:15 pm

I didn't read through everything so I'm not sure if anyone asked but have you had him evaluated for sensory integration dysfunction? My daughter has this along with mild aspergers. Since starting OT she has been more organized and handles physical contact much better. If you would like more info please feel free to PM me at [email protected]

Kelly

muppypud
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2005, 10:42 pm

When my son was in school (I started Home schooling him this year) I had a NO homework clause in his IEP, as well as a NO detention, transportation, and a scribe for exams. Home work is hard for some Aspies because we compartmentalize everything. And most Aspies spend so much time at school learning social things and trying to fit in that they are just too exhusted by the time they come home. It's like they are doing twice the work of the NT's.
You asked if we experience time differently....I am much higher functioning than my son....I was actually able to go to college and get a degree. As a result I think time was more normal for me. But for my son (whose 12) he seems to have a real problem with time dragging on. And he can only really hold focus on things for 30 minutes tops. And if he's anticipating something, a day seems to last forever.

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2005, 7:46 am

RowanMoonWynd wrote:
Another question.....does anyone know if Aspies see time differently than we do?
Yes.

I have both AS and ADHD, and my perception of time is very flexible. If I'm hyperfocussed on a task I enjoy then time passes at an alarming rate and I have a great deal of difficulty forcing myself to do things like sleep and eat. When I'm idle then it feels like the clock has stopped. I have read a suggestion that we should get a watch with the hourly chime and use that to try and instill a sense of the passage of time. Personally, I have found that using a round-face watch with hands is better than a digital because it's easier to visualize events ocurring at points on the dial. The trick is to remember to look at the watch from time to time. :-)

Because of my difficulty judging the passage of time I have a strong fear of being late for things, which can make me very short-tempered when I'm waiting for someone else to get ready to go out.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2005, 9:27 pm

ia sked hubby about the time perception thing, and he responded EXACTLY like Jetson....i mean, verbatim.........spooky :lol:

ladivegas
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jun 2009, 3:44 am

RowanMoonWynd wrote:
Hello All!!

Sorry I have not posted lately, as I have been crazy busy!! I also have a younger daughter in second grade, and she now has more homework than she did last year, though it's a walk in the park compared to her brother's homework! Then there's the TSS and the BT, along with the numerous Dr.'s appts that I have had on top of it all.

Wow. I must say, I've been doing some catching up on the postings here, and continue to be amazed at how much I have in common with so many people here. The thread about the messy handwriting, yup, and I think making him type all his assignments is a good idea. He wants to know where to get the Dragon Software, so if anyone has advice on this or knows where to get it, it would really be appreciated. On one side note though, when he was in 3rd grade, his handwriting was immaculate. I mean when he learned cursive, he wrote it EXACTLY the way the book taught how to write it. At the end of his 3rd grade year, he had all B's in his class. Then 4th grade was a complete suprise. His handwriting got bad (and gradually worse to what it is today), he was taking longer and longer to do his homework, and just all in all a totally different child. He had the same teacher for 3rd and 4th grade, and he (his teacher) wanted to know if anything had happened over that summer, as my son did a 180 degree turnaround, from good to bad. I just don't know how to explain that one.

The brushing teeth thing, yup, I deal with that on a daily basis. He does not brush his teeth unless he is told to do so. I never thought about the taste of toothpaste bothering him. He has never said anything about it before. Though now that I think about it, he did complain a couple of times about it being too hot. Maybe I'll try some of that toothpaste that was recommended, and see if that makes a difference. Also, he does not shower or bathe unless told to do so. He never has done things like that for himself on his own. He has always had to be prompted to do it.

On a brighter note, he is doing very well in school this year. I am very pleased and proud of him! I think with the diagnosis finally being correct, his teachers are more willing to work with him, and make exceptions for him. He is doing very, very well! YaY!!

Also, we went walking together last night, and I noticed how "heavy" he walks. He sounds like an elephant coming down the road. I don't know how he manages to do that. I asked him why he walked so heavy, and he said it was just the way he has always walked. It's a wonder his feet don't hurt all the time. Sometimes it sounds like he slams his feet down as he walks, and he does walk very slowly. Even when he tries to hurry, he does it in a slow way, if that makes any sense!

And the lying part, wow, I never even really thought much about it until I started reading that thread, and I can see where he does lie, and believes what he is saying. I can watch him do something with my own eyes, and he'll lie about it, and he is so good and so convincing, that I find myself doubting what I saw. He will also not admit to doing any wrong doing. It is always someone else's fault, or something else's fault, but never anything he does. And trying to get him to admit it, you may as well just give up before you even get started. He doesn't see that he does things wrong, it is always right to him, no matter what the situation may be. Try to confront him or some of the more serious issues, he gets really angry and defensive. One night he came home two minutes late, and for every minute he comes in is ten minutes early he has to be in the next night, and we go by the time on the cable box, and he KNOWS we do, but he had his watch on and his watch was a minute slow, so he argued with us over one frigging minute! That his watch was right (even looking at the cable box and knowing it wasn't) and we were wrong, and nothing we could say would make him understand. Even showing him didn't work. He got very angry and it got to the point to where I just sent him to his room, because I was losing my patience with him fast. And mouthy!! Oh don't even get me started on that. I know kids tend to be mouthy, but he just does not know when to stop. It goes above and beyond being mouthy. Anyone else experience this?

Again, this place is so wonderful, as are the people here! It's nice having a place to come to and have at least one person understand where your at in life.

Rowan ~

I know this an old post, but wow, I can not believe what I am reading. I love this site. I finally found people who understand what I am going through. Suddenly, I dont feel like I am crazy. I knew I was right about my sone. This my son to a "T". He lies with such a straight face and I just started catching on to what he was doing. He is so convincing. He nevers admits to doing wrong, it is always someone elses fault. I cant count how many times I have said this to my husband.

My son also gets very angry and has meltdowns and I send him to his room and he stomps all the way there and very defiant and mouthy and doesnt know when to stop and just drop it. That is a big thing in our house right now, getting him to drop it and not continue on and on. The cable box incident you talked about that is every incident with our son when he doesnt agree.