Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

leechbabe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jun 2009, 5:06 am

Heidi (4yo HFA) and I went to the grocery store today. It was just a quick visit to get a couple of items for dinner.

We walked past a lady who had very heavy make up on.

Heidi points to the lady 'Look at her face, its all filthy.'

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not sure if the lady saw / heard but we kept going with our shopping - in another aisle.

Made me realise that Heidi is not used to seeing people with much make up on. I certainly don't wear any, it feels so icky.

willa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2009, 6:47 am

haha, kids are great for pointing out the stuff adults wish they could =P

Mom_of_Lucas
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jun 2009, 9:33 am

That's funny, leechbabe! :lol:

It reminds me of a situation my mom told me about. When us kids were young, my mom would exchange babysitting with a group of women. One day she was keeping a little girl whose mom never wore makeup. Shortly before the girl's mother came to get her, my mom started putting on makeup to go out with my dad on a date night. The girl was intently watching my mom as she applied eye shadow, lipstick, etc. And with a look of awe and wonder, she asked my mom "Are you a clown!?" :lol:

Ha ha ... I think about that sometimes when I put on makeup. I don't wear much, but I do like a little lipstick now and then. :wink:

Last edited by Mom_of_Lucas on 19 Jun 2009, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trystania
Raven
Raven

19 Jun 2009, 10:40 am

My youngest son was watching me get ready for an interview. I normally don't wear make up or make any real effort with clothes so he was so surprised and pleased that he said, "Oh mummy! You look like a lady today!" Lovely :oops:

Gifted-Monster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jun 2009, 10:53 am

*Snickers* I think he was simply comparing you to other women he's seen. In his mind you've probably gone from being "Mommy" to "Beautiful lady"

He's just complimenting you based on what he's seen.

That clown comment though...that was priceless.

*Grins* Oh that 'Look at her face, its all filthy.'...simply gold. And it's true. No offence.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2009, 1:16 pm

Now ....

You DID take this moment to tell your adorable little one that it isn't nice to comment about other people, right?

It's still funny, of course.

My kids are amazing at pointing out when "fashion" is just stupid. They are very honest about what looks nice, and what doesn't. To me - only to me, fortunately. They have learned not to talk about other people except in the most general of ways ("I don't think people look good with a lot of make up").

I recently got a new haircut and the stylist decided to go with the "tossled" look. Even though it was hard to get used to, I kept it up for a few days. Then my daughter told me bluntly, "mommy, your hair looks wierd." Lol, yeah, that fashion IS wierd, when you really think about it. Takes a young one to be willing to say it.

Trystania
Raven
Raven

19 Jun 2009, 1:27 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
NMy kids are amazing at pointing out when "fashion" is just stupid. They are very honest about what looks nice, and what doesn't.

Same with my eldest son. He was very confused as to why my neighbour had holes in her jeans and was fretting over her being cold. He just couldn't grasp the concept that these were in fact new jeans and had been bought that way with the holes put there deliberately.

leechbabe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jun 2009, 4:54 pm

We are currently teaching 'do not kiss peoples feet / shoes', so I just reminded Heidi to use her quiet indoor voice and kept my focus on the main mission.

Wish I knew why she'd taken to crawling around of floors kissing feet, We are encouraging her to blow kisses instead.