Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

foobabe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Aug 2011, 1:51 pm

Hi Guys

The twins start back to high school in September into Year 9, and I thought we should approach the subject of Santa Claus with them. We want them to know the truth about the big man so they don't getting any teasing when they go back, especially my son as he travels on school bus. So I thought I would speak to my daughter first and see how thats goes - the answer is, not too well :roll:
I explained that her dad and I do the whole Christmas thing, explained that Santa was based on St Nicholas and that he was real but that the guy in red was more of a fairy tale. That nothing will change and that Christmas gifts will still appear on Christmas morning. I explained all about Christmas spirit etc etc... well she is not happy. She said that adults are all liars and everything they say is a big con against kids. she cannot believe anything we have told her anymore. She said we have played a horrible practical joke on her :cry:

Haven't dared speak to son until I get some advise from you guys on how to deal with this better
Foobabe

:santa:

AspieWolf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 2:01 pm

WHAT??? Santa Claus isn't real??? How can that be? You have just destroyed my whole life. Now I'm really bummed out. :D

Some of us just have a little more madness than others!

foobabe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Aug 2011, 2:09 pm

:oops:

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 2:17 pm

I wouldn't have told them about Santa Claus to begin with. I knew from the age of five he was not real. I knew my parent did all the work. It seemed more practical to begin with than a man in the chimney. I have never in my life been told that Santa Claus was real and was given no real reason to why he could be real.

Maybe you shouldn't have lied to begin with and actually just told the truth to begin with?

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 2:19 pm

Haha, this is why I pity you Americans. You have to find out that Santa Claus isn't real at some point...whereas the great Dutch gift-giver, Sinterklaas, is actually real and keeps giving us gifts.

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 2:37 pm

I agree with Pandora. I know that's not much help, but maybe you can pass the wisdom on to other parents with young children. My parents never tried to pull the Santa thing with me, but an aunt tried to convince me about the Easter bunny, when I was maybe 4 or 5 and I got REALLY mad at her for lying to me. I'm actually still kind of resentful about it 15 years later. I understand that there are some circumstances that require parents to lie to their children (where babies come from, what happened to the goldfish, things of that nature that are for their own good at a young age), but I don't see the purpose in lying any more than necessary. It will just make them distrustful later.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 2:40 pm

My response was something more along the lines of "I knew it." It wasn't really much of a surprise to me.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 2:55 pm

Megz wrote:
I understand that there are some circumstances that require parents to lie to their children (where babies come from, what happened to the goldfish, things of that nature that are for their own good at a young age), but I don't see the purpose in lying any more than necessary.

I don't think there is ever such a thing as a necessary lie. I would have and have gotten upset before when people wouldn't tell me the truth. I remember as a kid I asked the question. My parents never sugar coated anything for me.

I do not see the need to shelter children. It's frustrating and annoying. Especially when I was a child and people tried to shelter me. Not all children are as delicate as people put them.

edit-

Then again the woman who gave birth to me basically gave up on me. And I was raised by my dad who is also autistic [diagnosed with aspergers]. So of course I was going to get the cold hard facts. And I pretty much prefered it that way.

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 3:12 pm

When my grandmother was in the hospital after an operation, there was serious concern she was going to die. I was not told. While I understand that in principle, I was really annoyed at finding out about this after an offhand comment more than ten years later.

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 3:32 pm

Santa is real. He just doesn't wear a red suit. I had always played coy with that part, so it wasn't that hard for the kids to morph into accepting that mom was Santa.

I would suggest finding the "grandma-poor friend- winter coat- see you are Santa" story. The "Yes, Virginia" letter is also good. You can't do this as a fact v reality thing. Instead, teach them that it is all about the spirit of giving, and the role we each play in that. The existence of nuance.

Might be a difficult change of direction, and it depends on how strongly literal your child is ..

Just be super careful. This is one of the many ways an AS child can lose trust that the world values truth as much as it says it does.

Annmaria
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 3:25 am

My son believed up to a late age, I was waiting for him to come and ask the question, it never happened. I had to tell him before he started post-primary, he was very upset. He now keeps telling me how I have ruined xmas for him. I did explain the St Nicholas was real etc, not sure he was upset that I lied but more upset that I told him the truth.

foobabe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Aug 2011, 1:23 pm

Thanks Guys
Will tread round this carefully from now on
x

Alien_Papa
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 11:20 pm

I was very uncomfortable trying to explain Santa to my daughter when she was 3 because I knew the whole story was completely illogical. And how could I explain to a shy child that strange old man was going to sneak into her house while she was sleeping? But by the time she was 4 the explanation was unnecessary because the Santa myth was so ubiquitous.

Now I don't even remember when she learned there was no Santa, but for several years she half -pretended to believe. She talked about Santa and she knew it was fake, but in a sense she wished it was real. People believe in him because they want to believe in him, it's fun to believe in Santa. So I wont take that away from anybody.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdIhNQKgMdg&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueVPUsyrT0s[/youtube]

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 12:05 am

Quote:
"I BELIEVE IN SANTA CLAUS" -- Author Unknown

I remember my first Christmas adventure with Grandma. I was just a kid. I remember tearing across town on my bike to visit her on the day my big sister dropped the bomb: "There is no Santa Claus," she jeered. "Even dummies know that!"

My Grandma was not the gushy kind, never had been. I fled to her that day because I knew she would be straight with me. I knew Grandma always told the truth, and I knew that the truth always went down a whole lot easier when swallowed with one of her "world-famous" cinnamon buns. I knew they were world-famous, because Grandma said so. It had to be true.

Grandma was home, and the buns were still warm. Between bites, I told her everything. She was ready for me. "No Santa Claus?" she snorted....

"Ridiculous! Don't believe it. That rumor has been going around for years, and it makes me mad, plain mad!! Now, put on your coat, and let's go."

"Go? Go where, Grandma?" I asked. I hadn't even finished my second world-famous cinnamon bun. "Where" turned out to be Kerby's General Store, the one store in town that had a little bit of just about everything. As we walked through its doors, Grandma handed me ten dollars. That was a bundle in those days. "Take this money," she said, "and buy something for someone who needs it. I'll wait for you in the car." Then she turned and walked out of Kerby's.

I was only eight years old. I'd often gone shopping with my mother, but never had I shopped for anything all by myself. The store seemed big and crowded, full of people scrambling to finish their Christmas shopping. For a few moments I just stood there, confused, clutching that ten-dollar bill, wondering what to buy, and who on earth to buy it for.

I thought of everybody I knew: my family, my friends, my neighbors, the kids at school, the people who went to my church. I was just about thought out, when I suddenly thought of Bobby Decker. He was a kid with bad breath and messy hair, and he sat right behind me in Mrs. Pollock's grade-two class.

Bobby Decker didn't have a coat. I knew that because he never went out to recess during the winter. His mother always wrote a note, telling the teacher that he had a cough, but all we kids knew that Bobby Decker didn't have a cough; he didn't have a good coat. I fingered the ten-dollar bill with growing excitement. I would buy Bobby Decker a coat!

I settled on a red corduroy one that had a hood to it. It looked real warm, and he would like that.

"Is this a Christmas present for someone?" the lady behind the counter asked kindly, as I laid my ten dollars down. "Yes, ma'am," I replied shyly. "It's for Bobby."

The nice lady smiled at me, as I told her about how Bobby really needed a good winter coat. I didn't get any change, but she put the coat in a bag, smiled again, and wished me a Merry Christmas.

That evening, Grandma helped me wrap the coat (a little tag fell out of the coat, and Grandma tucked it in her Bible) in Christmas paper and ribbons and wrote, "To Bobby, From Santa Claus" on it.

Grandma said that Santa always insisted on secrecy. Then she drove me over to Bobby Decker's house, explaining as we went that I was now and forever officially, one of Santa's helpers.

Grandma parked down the street from Bobby's house, and she and I crept noiselessly and hid in the bushes by his front walk. Then Grandma gave me a nudge. "All right, Santa Claus," she whispered, "get going."

I took a deep breath, dashed for his front door, threw the present down on his step, pounded his door and flew back to the safety of the bushes and Grandma.

Together we waited breathlessly in the darkness for the front door to open. Finally it did, and there stood Bobby.

Fifty years haven't dimmed the thrill of those moments spent shivering, beside my Grandma, in Bobby Decker's bushes. That night, I realized that those awful rumors about Santa Claus were just what Grandma said they were -- ridiculous. Santa was alive and well, and we were on his team.

I still have the Bible, with the coat tag tucked inside: $19.95.

May you always have LOVE to share, HEALTH to spare and FRIENDS that care...

And may you always believe in the magic of Santa Claus!

I think this is the story DW_a_mom is referring to. It's the one I read to my son a few years ago when he was about 6. His father had left and money was tight, I wasn't even sure there would "be" a Christmas that year, I was dreading the post-Christmas bragging ritual from all the other kids at the bus stop.

I wanted him to know that it didn't matter if he was "good or bad", that "good or bad" he was still loved, and that Christmas wasn't about a man in a red suit with a bag full of toys, it was about giving and the joy you get in return.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 1:39 am

Thank you, Beenthere! That is the story!

My kids have embraced the concept of magic as simply being something for which you don't yet have an explanation. Kids can have a lot of fun spreading magic; mine like to be Leprechauns for younger kids in the neighborhood, carrying on a tradition some never confirmed family started when my kids were young. We're careful not to lie, but we do play coy. If you pass on these traditions as part of the Santa reveal, it makes it all a whole lot sweeter.

curiousitykitten
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Aug 2011, 1:40 pm

like others said, remind them of the spirit of giving. Remind them that by carrying on the traditions of christmas, you are keeping the spirit of saint nick alive.

maybe they might even like to play santa a little bit. I like to slip a few presents under the tree that say "santa" on them so noone really knows where they came from unless they ask :) random acts of kindness. Maybe they can be a santa to a homeless shelter?

i mean my nt 10 y/o sister still believes in santa. but i can tell she'll do just fine when she finds out that mom and dad are santa. we went to disney and i mean, even though she knows the princes and princesses are actors, she still is inspired by them and she can still feel the disney magic that they represent. I think the meaning behind santa is far more precious than the actual acts "he" does.

actually, when i found out that santa was really my parents... i actually became more greatfull and appreciative. I mean when santa gives gifts to all the boys and girls, you almost feel entitled to gettnig gifts. But when you know tis coming from your parents just because they love you and want to spoil you a little, i think you just appreciate it more...because really they don't HAVE to give you anything.

With that said there is something really special about listening for reindeer on christmas eve, but its also warm and fuzzy knowing that your parents have loved you all those years.