medical vs nonmedical diagnosis

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 8:36 am

My son has a non-medical HFA diagnosis through his school, that qualified him for his IEP and added support. I turned in the appropriate paperwork to his doctor, but I never heard anything back and was informed verbally not to pursue the medical one because it would hurt more than help him.
Any advice on this issue? I don't want to hurt his ability for employment/insurance as an adult, and he does function very well independently. On the other hand, if he finds himself in need of support after all, I don't want to hinder him in that direction either.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 9:30 am

In the P.S.A., a medical diagnosis can affect him negatively as far as it comes to insurance. Private insurance will likely be through a government pre-condition pool that is high priced, high deductible, and less coverage. I addition, a medical diagnosis will likely affect him n other ways such as him getting a drivers license. New drivers license applicants in Maryland, for example, have to have a doctor sign off if the applicant has previously diagnosed for autism.

Then again, if enough of us are diagnosed and fight back, then maybe governments in the P.S.A. will finally see us as a force to be dealt with (but how) and we will finally be accepted by society.

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 10:38 am

cyberscan wrote:
In the P.S.A., a medical diagnosis can affect him negatively as far as it comes to insurance. Private insurance will likely be through a government pre-condition pool that is high priced, high deductible, and less coverage. I addition, a medical diagnosis will likely affect him n other ways such as him getting a drivers license. New drivers license applicants in Maryland, for example, have to have a doctor sign off if the applicant has previously diagnosed for autism.

Then again, if enough of us are diagnosed and fight back, then maybe governments in the P.S.A. will finally see us as a force to be dealt with (but how) and we will finally be accepted by society.

Oh, dear Lord. Does this never end ? Is autism diagnosis a life sentence ? I was forced to pursue health insurance for ABA after my son's school district refused to provide needed services. Now it appears that this may come back to bite his butt eventually ? Drunks and dead - beats drive cars but my child may not be able to ? Losers and illegals get jobs but my son may not qualify for some types of employment just because he is autistic ?

I have been traumatized enough that this is on his medical record - which might make it cery difficult for him to get insurance eventually - and now I read this. Ignorance is bliss, sometimes. Now I will spend the next 10 days worrying that he may never be able to live independently because an a@@hole of a special education manager denied him services that could have kept this out of his medical records.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 10:45 am

HisMom wrote:
cyberscan wrote:

Oh, dear Lord. Does this never end ? Is autism diagnosis a life sentence ? I was forced to pursue health insurance for ABA after my son's school district refused to provide needed services. Now it appears that this may come back to bite his butt eventually ? Drunks and dead - beats drive cars but my child may not be able to ? Losers and illegals get jobs but my son may not qualify for some types of employment just because he is autistic ?

I have been traumatized enough that this is on his medical record - which might make it cery difficult for him to get insurance eventually - and now I read this. Ignorance is bliss, sometimes. Now I will spend the next 10 days worrying that he may never be able to live independently because an a@@hole of a special education manager denied him services that could have kept this out of his medical records.

I'm not telling people to not get a medical diagnosis. I'm just encouraging them to weigh the pros and cons. It is possible for your child to "lose his diagnosis" at a later age. Maryland is the only state that I know of that discriminates when it comes to drivers licenses and autism.

bjtao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2012, 1:32 pm

What state/country are you located in?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 1:40 pm

This thread just goes to show insurance is a scam, if you're healthy they want your money since chances are they won't have to cover anything since you're healthy. But god forbid you have issues that might actually warrant the use of insurance, insurance companies don't want that now do they.

Anyways to the OP it is true an official diagnoses could be hurtful in some ways, due to the screwed up society we live in...obviously there is the insurance issue, but other then that employers do discriminate sure its not legal to but if an employer sees someone has an official diagnoses and refuses to hire them they don't have to admit it was because of the disability...not all employers would do that but they certainly are out there. So yeah if your son is functional enough to hold a job and complete school and such then an official diagnoses could do more harm than good.............however if he cannot function that well the only way to qualify for financial help and such would be having an official diagnoses, for instance you cannot get approved for SSI or medicaid if you don't have a diagnoses of anything. So if he needs that sort of help the diagnoses would be helpful.