Page 8 of 38 [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 38  Next

NikonRox
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Apr 2010, 7:13 pm

When my AS girl was about 5 years old I found her out in the yard tossing a stray cat high up into the air. I was shocked, told her to stop, and then asked her why was she tossing the cat into the air. She replied "The teacher said cats land on their feet, I wanted to see if they really land on their feet." I said "Don't throw that cat into the air anymore, how do you think the cat feels being tossed up in the air like that?" (at this point I was trying to use "feeling" words, to get her to "empathize" and use the situation as a teaching moment...wrong!! :) ). To which she replied, in all seriousness, "I don't know, I don't speak cat."

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 3:37 pm

Kiley wrote:

Not for Eldest Son. One night as we were getting out of the van to go inside for the night he finally said his first word. Not "Ma" not "Da" but Moon.

Little Guy didn't speak until he was five and when he did it was a mixed blessing. I think his receptive language skills were always good. He understood and responded to language well, but what would come out when he tried to talk sounded like gobeldy gook to us. At the age of 5 we started to be able to work out some words and at that time we were able to get him into good speech therapy at his new school. He rapidly progressed and began speaking more and more clearly.

It turns out he'd been cussing like a sailor. Nobody had ever corrected him because nobody knew what he was saying. He would do it in sweet happy tones but was using a full range of cuss words correctly. I'm not sure how he learned to do it. I don't cuss a lot and I don't think I know anybody who does. His entire Kindergarten class got quite an education that year.

Hahahaha! I can just hear it.

"Moon" was my son's first, and I think only, baby sign. We used to read him "Goodnight Moon" every night and do the sign for it. He never did get into signing and since his speech wasn't delayed (albeit eccentric) we didn't do it for that long. He loved the moon and still has two stuffed moons he was given as a toddler. (Also "Moon in his room" and an Ikea moon lamp on the walls.)

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 8:09 pm

"Is 'dead' a bad word?" My 4 yo asd son asks.

Followed by "Is Canadian a bad word?" (we had visited a duck pond that day and seen a family of Canada Geese which his teacher called "Canadian Geese"- he doesn't actually understand that Canadian means people who live in a country called Canada)

Lately, we have been having a lot of issues with what words are bad and what words are OK! :)

sufi
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 9:59 pm

Just have to post this one.

My 6 year old granddaughter this week got ready for bed and put on a life-jacket. My daughter did not say anything as Susie has always been a unique child and often does strange things. The following night she again put on the life-jacket and got into bed. My daughter being very curious ask why she was wearing the jacket. The reply, " cause if I sleep on my back and throw-up, then I won't drown."

Great solution to a life threatening problem.

Look for three or more options.
"I'm not too crazy about reality, but it's the only place to get a decent meal.

shawniesmom
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 May 2010, 6:00 pm

Well Shawn is 9 and nonverbal for the most part except for a few prompted words that are very impaired. well this one day we went out for McDonalds fudge sundays, which we brought home to eat. Shawn and his younger brother Mark went to sit at the table to eat as I went to rotate the laundry. All of the sudden, clear as day i hear it................"SON OF A b***h!'' I dropped my pile of laundry and went into the kitchen yelling "Mark! what did you just say?" Mark looked at me with fear and a little bit of amazement and said "Shawnie said, it Shawnie said it." I look over at Shawn empty handed, with just the residue of ice cream on his face and hands, and our Great Dane Kramer right beside him chewing on the plastic sunday container. He looked at me with a crinkled forehead and pointed to the dog and said it again "son of a b***h." I was too astonished to be angry in fact i was impressed that he spoke and even used the phrase appropriately. To this day that was the only unprompted language we have heard yet. We know its in there we just need Kramer to get the rest out of him lol.

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 4:29 pm

Today when I insisted we cross at the crosswalk, my son exclaimed, "you're a slave to routine, mom!"

starkravingmadmommy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Jun 2010, 1:03 pm

My son has a thing about the tags in shirts. Apparently it also bothered him tremendously that the other day his daddy was wearing a shirt with a little horse logo on it.

"You have to unsew it, Daddy," he insisted.
"Why?" asked my husband.
"Because it's too dangerous," he whispered all Sixth Sense serious. "People will think you're stupid."

Made. my. day.

OzAspi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jun 2010, 7:57 pm

starkravingmadmommy wrote:
My son has a thing about the tags in shirts. Apparently it also bothered him tremendously that the other day his daddy was wearing a shirt with a little horse logo on it.

"You have to unsew it, Daddy," he insisted.
"Why?" asked my husband.
"Because it's too dangerous," he whispered all Sixth Sense serious. "People will think you're stupid."

Made. my. day.

Haha thats funny. For some reason I can hear Gollum's voice from LOTR saying that.

The other night when I was tucking my 5 yr old autistic son into bed he wanted me to leave the room. But instead of asking me to leave he gave me directions. He pointed and said "go that way and then turn that way and go out the door" His polite way of saying "get out and leave me alone" lol

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 1:03 pm

My son was reading over my husband's shoulder and exclaimed, "you're reading about sex?!"

Me, curious: "Do you know what sex is?"

my son: "I don't want you to tell me, mom!"

lilliansmom
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jun 2010, 4:58 pm

My 10 yr old daughter's take on distressed jeans as she noticed them in a mall shop window:

"I don't get this whole distressed jeans thing. I mean just buy a regular pair of jeans, you're going to fall down eventually!"

I'm also impressed that she used the term "distressed jeans" - must have picked it up from the girls at school, lol!

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 6:50 am

I am not a parent but I used to say lots of funny things as a child! I was somewhat precocious. The kids you've written about here sound a lot like how I was :)

One thing I remember that was really amusing to me later in life:

When I was about 6 I noticed that the handwriting on "Santa's" presents to me and my brothers was the same as my mom's. I confronted my mom about this and she admitted it. I think she was sad though and said "Don't tell your brothers." Instead I went to school and told my entire class! Hahaha! I remember going "It's your parents! Don't you know this? It's so obvious!" My mom got a call from the principal saying I had upset many of the children in my class :lol:

Coldkick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2010, 6:07 am

I'm posting this for my mom
When I was 4 I read the Christmas present wrapper and it said, "From: Santa"
After I opened it I said, "I think this came from the grocery store!" :lol:

@Kiseki
I think I must have noticed the same thing because I remember from Senior Kindergarten onward trying to tell the kids it was there parents.

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 2:38 pm

:lol: :lol:

Yeah, my little Aspie has been skeptical for a long time and we gave up the pretense last year. We did manage to persuade him not to spoil it for his cousins, though.

A favorite story -- can't remember how old he was, but he was starting to be suspicious about the Tooth Fairy and concluded that it was actually Big Bear, his stuffed bear, that left the money. Then realized, "that can't be right--Big Bear doesn't have any money."

Two_Sheds
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jul 2010, 1:56 am

When our Aspie son was little, we got our female cat spayed. Wade started crying, saying "Get them to put her uterus back in, I don't want her to turn into a boy cat!"

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 9:42 pm

I'm loving reading these.

This morning, my son who turns eight in late September:

Me: How did you get so awesome?
He: I have been awesome since I was born. I was born to be awesome. Also gorgeous.
Me: And incredibly humble.
He: Obviously.

Two_Sheds
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jul 2010, 5:40 am

Haha! Yeah, Wade doesn't have a humble bone in his body. He told me one day, "I finally figured out why the kids in my class don't like me." I asked him why, and he responded, "It's because I'm so much SMARTER than they are." :D