Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2009, 5:08 pm

Have to brag about my son!

Last weekend, Nate took apart his brother's crib by himself. I told him to wait for dad but he said, "Why? I can do it alone." I let him. All I did was hold the crib up so it wouldn't fall. He immediately knew what tools to use and picked out the correct sizes. When he was doing, he took me through the steps while sounding adult like. He sounded like he was teaching me. He then helped to put the toddler bed up. We needed some help because the metal frame for under his mattress was bend. Dad helped and he then put together a little more than 1/2 of the bed.

Last night, Nate was so darn adorable. For the past few nights, he has been begging to make a card board train. When I finally said, "Ok, let's get the cardboard to build that train" he became really excited and couldn't stop talking. He had so much fun. When it was time for bed, he said "Thank you mom for letting me do the train tonight. I won't be a butt anymore" and smiled. Yes, I sometimes call he and his brother a butt (jokingly) because they fight. Horrible I know but I just get annoyed with the fighting sometimes. Nate calls his brother a butt and now his little brother is copying that word LOL. We need to find something else now...butt won't do. Sorry, I digressed.

Also before bed, Nate came to the conclusion that using wood to build his train would be better. I didn't hear the end of it. He practically talked himself to sleep. He had all of these ideas about how he was going to use wood for the train; what he was going to do. It continued this morning - to get him to stop, we went to Lowes. We finally went this afternoon and just got the plywood. He told the worker the dimensions of the sides and bottom - not using actual measurements. I let him do what he wanted. I am there to support him but it's his project. He wants to start on the train todaybut I am trying to hold him off until he (or we) figure out the wheels first. It is a learning process for him and he is doing a great job.

I can't find the exact wording so my version is not as good of what he said last night.
He said something like, "When this is all done I will go on my street and yell, 'Hey kids, come have some fun on the train. If you are 5 or 6 years old come on the train. You can't be older so you can't come mom. You can be 1 or 2 or 3 also.'" I asked him about 4 year olds. He then said, "You can be 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 but not older." He then described how the inside back "needs to be comfy so if I get tired, I can lean back and say 'this is so comfy and perfect because I am tired." He showed me how big the comfy thing needs to be, "Not too big and a little different than an actual pillow." He went on describing how the train will work and different ideas some of which can work and others that won't. Part of his skills in building things are really advanced yet other parts are still at a 6 year old level. IT's pretty interesting listening to pretty advanced ideas mixed in with kid ideas!! I love it.

Too bad I can't convince Nate that reading can be fun especially since he wants to build stuff. He is smart enough to learn how to read but is just not interested. Reading is more difficult for him. I keep explaining that once he reads, he can read instruction manuals on how to build things. His verbal and nonverbal abilities are definitely significant but I am realizing it could be an interest thing. I really believe he was delayed in language because he just wasn't interested in people like he was with figuring out how to do things and how they work. It makes me question the whole ability verse general interests when it comes to certain parts of IQ tests. I believe that is true with individuals on the spectrum, especially on the verbal portion of the test.

Since we are holding off the train for today, he decided he wanted to take apart an older DVD. He wants to take the circuits and wires to build something else. He is only 5 (6 in a few days) so he has much to learn. It looks fun, though. We have a few plastic bins filled with circuits and stuff he has taken a part. Another area of recycle materials that he wants to use for creations and inventions. His neighbor will probably help with teaching him about circuits and electricity, too.

The biggest problem we will have with his experiments, especially with building the train, is perfectionism. The train may not work on his first try as he will be doing most of the work. I believe failure leads to success. It's just getting him to learn that concept because to him, everything needs to be perfect from the start.
He doesn't care about the Edison and Einstein stories because "I am not them."
It will be a learning process just like all of life is.

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2009, 5:17 pm

Sounds like you guys have been busy. :) Let us know how his train turns out it sounds like he's got alot of big plans.

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2009, 5:37 pm

Honestly, I am tired.
How do I keep up with his intelligence and creativity, while running after my active two year old keeping him away from the inventions. I guess it's one day (or one hour) at a time.

When school starts for us in a few weeks, we will both be busy in different ways. I will be working, he will be in school, and his brother will be in a wonderful daycare. It will be bittersweet. I am just soaking up all the time with my children right now, no matter how tired I am .

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2009, 12:58 pm

Nate really is brilliantly talented. I think you are doing all the right things, letting him explore, and teaching him ...

My son's interests have already gone so far beyond what I have any knowledge about that I can't be much of a resource for him anymore. I broke down and spent what I feel is an insane amount of money for icamp. Opportunities like that are heaven for him :)

Last edited by DW_a_mom on 05 Aug 2009, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 1:03 am

That is what we did. There is a camp invention every summer where we live. He absolutely loved it. We tried to also get him into a space and robotics week long camp but it was only for individuals who just completed first.

Even my husband said that Nate may be beyond his level in a few years. My husband is highly intelligent, too. I just can't believe what he is doing.

Today Nate encouraged us to get a battery tester to test all of our batteries before going to the recyling waste center. We have about 250 batteries - saved throughout the last three years because we don't throw them away. We got one and he has tested 50 batteries - half are still good. I guess we have been mixing good with bad or perhaps some of the batteries last longer than the others although they were both in the same packet. As he was doing it he said, "See mom, I told you so." I put four batteries in this light universe thing for his room and it still didn't work. He said, "I think that one needs more juice. You probably got the semi-good batteries." I rechecked those batteries and they were in the middle of good and bad. We put some stronger batteries in and sure enough, it worked. Those semi good ones worked for something else.

Instead of getting nervous about his intelligence, wondering if I can keep up, I will just provide him opportunities to expand his mind. I let him be more free here. Yes, we still have discipline but if he has an idea or wants to fix something, I let him to it, within reason. He has been so happy in the past two or three weeks since i have been more like that.