Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Wirenut
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Oct 2016, 10:41 pm

Our 4 year old boy has now his 2nd diagnoses for aspergers. Other than being brilliant with reading and numbers I never really considered him to be different. I tried not to concentrate on his sensory issues with eating but understood a lot of his other traits. I just found this web site yesterday and its great!

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2016, 2:53 am

Great. Welcome. All you need is a magnetic drawing board. Read this posting, too, it has all you ever need to know about autism. Check your inbox so that you can see the video links. (Video clips don't work after a while on Wrong Planet).

Yogurt is yummy, because it has honey (modulation, part 2)
https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=293342

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2016, 11:53 am

I'm happy that you've found a good resource, and I'm glad that your son has a dad who wants to learn more--and not just from those "on the outside". I'm here so that I might better understand my students and their families, my friends/acquaintances, and my nephew, but the discussions here can also be so much better than on comment threads populated by the general public!

Welcome. :)

pddtwinmom
Toucan
Toucan

11 Oct 2016, 12:01 pm

Welcome! This place has been so wonderful for me. I'm mom to twin 5 yr olds who've both been diagnosed. Our household also operates very "normally", at least by my standards. :D

Wirenut
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Oct 2016, 5:44 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome.
It took a while for me to accept the diagnoses. Not sure exactly why, that other than a few traits he seemed pretty normal to me. Or maybe i didn't want him to be picked on as I had been when i was younger. I guess the biggest hang up was wanting him to be treated normally. We have him in a small private school ( from toddlers up to kindergarten) witch seems to be the best routine for him (next to therapy). Our family life is pretty chaotic to say the least but we do the best we can. After a lot of reading on this forum I found that I related to a lot of the traits my son has. I have got over a lot of them thru the years, but feel I have a better understanding of him and myself (to an extent) by reading on a lot of the topics here in the past few days. He is a great kid, loving, smart and seems to be happy most of the time. His traits never really bothered me, my wife or any family members. My wife goes above and beyond for him and I wish I could do more. We do talk a lot when we spend time together. The most recent topic while driving to and from school has been electricity. Safety first right ;)

Thanks again!

pddtwinmom
Toucan
Toucan

11 Oct 2016, 6:47 pm

I feel the same way! Every "odd" or quirky, or even plain old difficult thing that my kids do, I see to some degree in myself, my husband, or a family member. I don't believe that I'm on the spectrum, but in my case, how they present has to be genetic because even if their reactions can be more severe, someone who is related to them by blood does something similar (if milder).

Wirenut
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Oct 2016, 5:46 pm

One of the things Ive been noticing more often is pulling his upper lip with his fingers.

Is this stiming?

He is usually gazing when he does this. When I see him do it I remind him to pull at his chin instead, so not make his lip red or raw. Then he snaps out of it. Almost the same as me pulling at the whiskers on my chin.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 6:43 pm

"Normal" four-year-old kids do a lot of funny things--some which would seem like "stims" to those who are knowledgeable about "stims."

It might be a "stim," it might not be a "stim."

The question is: does it hinder him in any way?

Wirenut
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Oct 2016, 5:54 pm

I notice it when he seems nervous. His lip does get swollen and red.

Thanks

misstippy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Oct 2016, 6:16 pm

I've been visiting this forum on and off for the last six years. It's such an incredible resource.