What are your kids movie interests?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 6:51 pm

Since this is the parents board I thought this topic would fit here. With movies I've tryed everything from horror to the original King Kong and It's a Wonderful Life etc. I find though with my 9 and 7 year old sisters the classics are of no interest Snow White,Bambi even more recent ones Toy Story 1 and 2 etc. they rather see Kung fu Panda or insert the hottest thing. (Sure they are kids and it's normal etc.) but I was just curious how your child views movies and what movies animated/live action they liked do the enjoy Walt's classics the beggining of Pixar or is it all about Shrek (BTW can you go kill that ogre for me????) Thanks LOL! (BTW the #4 story is like It's a Wonderful Life GIVE ME A BREAK!! !!)

DenvrDave
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 7:10 pm

My kids love Star Wars, fortunately...so do I! I remember seeing the first Star Wars back in...1977?

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 7:39 pm

Awesome! I loved all the films minus Episode 1 and 2 3,4,5,6 were pretty good.

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 7:46 pm

It depends on the day I have to say they both have a wide ranging tastes. Right now the peanuts specials are big with my Jake < 9yr old auntie> but he mostly uses Youtube for those. I have seen monsters inc going on 20xs from when I bought it for him this sunday, before that it was Coraline and that thankfuly replaced the birth sence from the start of Fred Claus < yes just the sweating screaming part and he goes back after the stick baby says ho> :roll: Thought I was going to die if I saw it one more time. So it's a mix of the lastest thing out and some older kids movies. I'm thinking about putting Fred in a prairedog hole behind the house...

DenvrDave
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 8:53 pm

CRD that's funny...what is it about kids that they like to watch the same movie over and over again ad nauseum? It was the same for us with Bartok...if I ever see that again I think I'm gonna puke!

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 10:42 pm

She's not exactly my kid but she's very childlike: the girl I mentor with has had huge obsessions with all of the following movies:

- Shark Tale
- Corpse Bride
- Chicken Little
- The Ant Bully

I know there was more but I can't remember them....

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 12:19 am

It's just one of the joys of parenting in the post VCR era lol . I know I drove my mother nuts with a peter pan record I sang all the parts for over and over. Oh Jake saw what I posted about his Fred movie. He ran screaming to hide it ever after I told him I was joking.lol

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 1:56 am

My kids are aged 6 and 9.
We generally don't have censorship at our house.

That's to say, that almost anything goes provided it's clear that a film is fiction and provided it's not too linkable back to everyday life (the clown under the bed in poltergeist is a good example why I'd not offer a film to the kids). The other exception is excessive bad copyable traits (VERY significant swearing/nudity).

My kids love the normal kids films (Particularly all kinds of Star Wars - including the cartoons) and Doctor Who.

They also love other Science Fiction like ET and Terminator.

I try to give them a new film to watch (ONCE) once per week. I often sit with them and interact/explain them... eg: Firestarter, Ghostbusters, The Party, National Lampoon's Vacation.

These give them interesting life-examples of comedy and conversation as well as cultural references.

I also give them a lot of Studio Ghibli cartoons.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 1:06 pm

My NT daughter loves movies of almost all kinds. Disney classics, Harry Potter, Nightmare Before Christmas, Kung Fu Panda - pretty much all of it.

My AS son, in part as a reaction, has no interest in movies of any sort. He finds the theatre overwhelming and pretty much only agrees to go with us sometimes because, well, its what we are all doing. He did come for the latest Harry Potter, and this past weekend reluctantly agreed to Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (he couldn't figure out how they could make that book into a movie and, thus, was a bit opposed to it). Movies at home he would rather not have on; he says it isn't so much that he hates movies, but that having movies on keeps the family from doing things he enjoys much much more. He sees the screen as this insidious gluing device that draws everyone near and makes them stay.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 3:10 pm

Glad to know some children like the classics aswell as the latest cartoon flicks. I was born in 86 so Bambi,Snow White,It's a Wonderful Life etc. are WELL before my time but I enjoy them much like with videogames (I've played enjoyed Donkey Kong,Pong etc. that were before my time or right when I was born.) LOL!

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 3:34 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Movies at home he would rather not have on; he says it isn't so much that he hates movies, but that having movies on keeps the family from doing things he enjoys much much more. He sees the screen as this insidious gluing device that draws everyone near and makes them stay.

Wow... that's an impressively mature comment.

I see movies as a teaching tool as well as entertainment but that's because my kids are very visual. If other children learn more effectively using other means, then that's the way to go.

zeldapsychology wrote:
Glad to know some children like the classics aswell as the latest cartoon flicks. I was born in 86 so Bambi,Snow White,It's a Wonderful Life etc. are WELL before my time but I enjoy them much like with videogames (I've played enjoyed Donkey Kong,Pong etc. that were before my time or right when I was born.) LOL!

My kids are too young for It's a Wonderful Life (heck, I only watched it for the first time last year)... but they liked Bambi (I wasn't expecting that). I've also had to struggle to put on things like "The Little Mermaid" because they're both boys, but after a few complaints they settle in and enjoy it. They love the old videogames, particularly side scrollers like Duke Nukem 1.

2PreciousSouls
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Oct 2009, 9:40 pm

My 4yo loves the Thunderbirds atm, the Robinsons, Bernard.

serenitynow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Oct 2009, 10:06 pm

My son, 16, is completely obsessed with Star Wars (movies, collectables, Lego models).
Fortunately I have become a fan too.
He also really appreciates animated movies, any Disney or Pixar. Also Studio Ghibli.
Really looking forward to "Where the wild things are" coming out Oct. 16, as he wants to work in computer animation.
Someday he plans to work at what he loves. :) That makes me very happy.

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 2:33 pm

My sons favourite movies are the ones connected to what they like best, right now that would be Star Wars and Lego, so any Star Wars movie or cartoon, and the Bionicle movies are very popular. They like to watch cartoons every Saturday morning, so they see previews for all the new movies that come out during the commercial breaks, and are usually amenable to going to see them, but rarely see anything that really catches their imagination. They both far prefer video/computer games to movies anyway.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 6:13 pm

Forget the clone wars cartoon, how popular would a Lego Star Wars movie be....

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 7:15 pm

gbollard wrote:
Forget the clone wars cartoon, how popular would a Lego Star Wars movie be....

O my goodness, my guys would be overjoyed!! !