inappropriate jokes and joking around

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2006, 2:52 pm

NYnewbie wrote:
regarding Bland's comment about his son speaking in a girls voice... our daughter has an "anything British" fixation (originated with Harry Potter obsession) and she'll start speaking to us in a British accent (we're american).

Aw now come on, I'm 24 and still like to speak in accents. You all are sticks in the mud. What could possibly be more entertaining?? :D :P

Okay, okay... well, sometimes it might get a tad old. But you can't possibly top its personal entertainment value-- for the speaker I mean. It's the creative mind in its leisure. :mrgreen:

You'd have to admit nothing can beat a pedantic lecture in a fake Aussie accent. Muahahaha... :twisted:

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2006, 4:15 pm

Sophist, what you say makes me feel like a giant hypocrite because I act stupid and put on voices and melodrama here at home sometimes. I've just never compared it to what my son is doing. I'll even sing snatches of songs to my kids because almost anything anyone says brings to mind some piece of a song that fits the situation perfectly! The difference between me and my son is that I would never do that in public. It's hard to tell him to stop acting stupid when I'm doing it myself!! !

NYnewbie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Mar 2006, 3:12 pm

I also feel kind of guilty from telling my daugher to stop telling jokes or speaking in a british accent when I joke around and sometimes talk in funny voices... Sometimes my daughter IS funny and she does tell a witty joke but when it elicits some honest laughter out of us (her parents) she stops and says (in a very serious tone), "was that funny? what was funny about that? why is that funny?"

So I have to wonder is she telling jokes wihtout even knowing whether or not the joke is funny ?

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2006, 8:13 pm

I've given up trying to crack jokes - my friends are all naturally very humourous (mostly to everyone else as well, not just me) so I went through a stage of thinking 'well I liek that in them; maybe people will like me if I'm funny' but even I could see no-one was amused, and I kept embarrassing myself. I didn't do it with my parents because ... well, I don't know why not; I just didn't. I keep a lot of myself hidden from my parents, actually. But anyway. Occasionally I will make a remark and people laugh - I never knwo if they found my remark amusing, or if they're laughing at me. The friends I have now, I trust them not to be malicious. They're my only friends with whom I've ever been comfortable enough to actually sort of be myself around. If that sentence made sense 8O

Oh yeah, and some of my 'jokes' were inappropriate to the point of offence. Oops :oops: When it was explained to me afterwards, I'd make a mental note not to say that sort of thing again in that situation - didn't help for any other situations though. I gathered it was best for everyone that I gave up.

Oh yeah, and I don't understand a lot of humour either. I've learned to smile when everyone else does, and to laugh with everyone else, then ask later (quietl) what was funny.