Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 12:27 am

I overheard a typical conversation between my husband and son tonight. His dad was teaching him about the guitar.

dad: "Wow, where did you hear that word?"

son: "I saw it in 'Rock Band.'"

dad: "That's really cool, I wouldn't have thought you'd know that."

son: "Dad, you know it was in Rock Band, you saw it yourself! Stop being so hard on me!"

In a minute my son was in tears, pleading with him "don't tell mom." (He often doesn't want one of us to tell the other one about something that upsets him, especially when we don't understand why he's upset.)

We're both so baffled by this sort of thing. I was listening, and there was nothing remotely mean or harsh about what my husband said.

Does this strike a chord in anyone? Any idea what makes him feel like we're being "hard on him" when we feel like we're admiring him?

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 3:54 am

i might have done similar things when i was a kid (i still do stuff like this, to be honest), and this is what would be going on in my head:

willaful wrote:

son: "Dad, you know it was in Rock Band, you saw it yourself! Stop being so hard on me!"

parent: you understand that thing? or are you just pretending?

me: why wouldn't i know it?

parent: it just seems weird. you're just a kid.

me: i'm not just a kid. i know lots of things. why do you always treat me like i'm stupid??

willaful wrote:
(He often doesn't want one of us to tell the other one about something that upsets him, especially when we don't understand why he's upset.)

i hated when i would overhear other people (especially parents) talking about me as a kid. they were always attributing some childish significance to the things i did. i wondered why they wouldn't just ask me directly. i knew better than they did why i did things. they were always wrong. plus, i felt i had no privacy. they were always scrutinizing my behavior.

willaful wrote:
Does this strike a chord in anyone? Any idea what makes him feel like we're being "hard on him" when we feel like we're admiring him?

admiration can feel very patronizing. when someone thinks you capable of something, they don't react with surprise.

that's how a similar situation would have played out for me anyway.

i don't really know why parents ask these things of other parents instead of asking people on the spectrum who might remember their behaviors as kids and explain it. but there might very well be a good reason ...
so sorry if this is an unwelcome response or doesn't make sense to you.

azurecrayon
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 8:44 am

for me, it feels more reliable to ask other parents who may be currently seeing the behaviors than trust that someone else accurately remembers their motivations from 15, 25, 50 years ago when they were 5. not to mention, the person who is exhibiting the behavior may very well have a completely different interpretation of what was happening and may not recognize the description from an outside perspective.

willaful, it may be a simple matter of him not being able to interpret the conversation clearly and thus not correctly understanding your reaction or motives. i get a similar reaction from my son sometimes when i ask too many questions, altho he reacts with frustration and irritation rather than tears. i think to them it often feels more like grilling rather than simple curiosity when we ask multiple questions, especially if they answer us succinctly at the very beginning like your son did.

btw, i asked my SO about this, and he agrees with my assessment of how our own son reacts. he also adds, from his own perspective, that if he is involved with something or focused on something, the further questions are annoying because they are detracting from what hes currently doing. he will answer one question, but if you continue asking, he gets annoyed or angry at the interruption.

i do see this same reaction from our son and he will usually flat out tell me "you're bugging me!"

K - 6 yrs med/school dx classic autism
C - 8 yrs NT
N - 15 yrs school dx AS

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 12:36 pm

katzefrau wrote:
i might have done similar things when i was a kid (i still do stuff like this, to be honest), and this is what would be going on in my head:

willaful wrote:

parent: you understand that thing? or are you just pretending?

me: why wouldn't i know it?

parent: it just seems weird. you're just a kid.

me: i'm not just a kid. i know lots of things. why do you always treat me like i'm stupid??

willaful wrote:
(He often doesn't want one of us to tell the other one about something that upsets him, especially when we don't understand why he's upset.)

i hated when i would overhear other people (especially parents) talking about me as a kid. they were always attributing some childish significance to the things i did. i wondered why they wouldn't just ask me directly. i knew better than they did why i did things. they were always wrong. plus, i felt i had no privacy. they were always scrutinizing my behavior.

willaful wrote:

admiration can feel very patronizing. when someone thinks you capable of something, they don't react with surprise.

that's how a similar situation would have played out for me anyway.

i don't really know why parents ask these things of other parents instead of asking people on the spectrum who might remember their behaviors as kids and explain it. but there might very well be a good reason ...
so sorry if this is an unwelcome response or doesn't make sense to you.

Actually, I didn't mean to specifically ask parents. I put it in the parents forum because I was asking *as* a parent, but I often get responses here from people who aren't parents and was actually looking for them.

I do think he feels the lack of privacy and that we scrutinize his behavior too much. I've been working on not talking about him in public, which he just hates. My husband is harder to budge. (The irony is he -- my husband -- does exactly the things he complained about his own dad doing. Like not listening to him and respecting his feelings.)

I think you're probably spot on here, and I'm going to show it to my husband.

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 12:39 pm

azurecrayon wrote:
i think to them it often feels more like grilling rather than simple curiosity when we ask multiple questions, especially if they answer us succinctly at the very beginning like your son did.

I think you're right.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 5:20 pm

Katzefrau, I think you did a brilliant job of showing us parents how kids can and do read between the lines. We never mean to say or even think that between the line stuff, which is why the negative reaction from the child can be so baffling. But, when you break it down as you did, it is really easy to how kids can get to those conclusions.

I guess in the situation Willaful mentioned, a response that would have diverted the process might have been, "really, it was in the movie? I guess I didn't really notice."

Curious. Do you think that would have worked?

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 8:55 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Katzefrau, I think you did a brilliant job of showing us parents how kids can and do read between the lines.

thank you

DW_a_mom wrote:
I guess in the situation Willaful mentioned, a response that would have diverted the process might have been, "really, it was in the movie? I guess I didn't really notice."

Curious. Do you think that would have worked?

hm. maybe?

i think it's less about saying the wrong thing and more about the intent .. he will perceive questions & answers as information sharing. the parent may instigate that kind of conversation as a way of trying to get closer to the kid, or offer encouragement, but he won't interpret it that way because it's not the way he would do something like that. he may also just be getting annoyed because it can be really exhausting to answer questions, or because he can't figure out why you're asking. maybe theory of mind comes in here too - he doesn't know that you don't know what he knows. (make sense??? good :) )

maybe it would help to explain why you say and ask the things that you do.

bjtao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Aug 2010, 10:02 pm

Yes, my son misinterprets tones. Also, many times if he hears a negative in a sentence (e.g. wouldnt've) he hears negative words/tone. I can tell by his reaction - we have head nearly identical conversations.