Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2010, 5:06 pm

And its beginning the Christmas nightmare that is my fourteen year old brother. I know I'm not exactly a parent, but I've been taking care of my two younger brothers for all my life. I might as well count as part of the legal guardian. My middle brother who's 19 I suspect he has Aspergers, I was diagnosed with Aspergers, and my fourteen year old brother is severally autistic. We're talking Rain Man style, just maybe not as bad. And he doesn't talk as often.
Spends most of his time staring at walls.

Well I'm trying to make Christmas pleasant this year. Our Christmas's usually end up with a big blow out from my 19 year old brother and a complete shutdown of my 14 year old brother. Shows you how disorganized my family is.

Lately J [14 year old] has been doing good, he's slowly sorta started helping around the house. Though that's mostly partly due to my help. Anyway Christmas times always brings the worse out when it comes to J. He doesn't like carolers, to much noise in one little group. He has a hard time sleeping and he gets extremely frustrated when the carolers come to our house. Mom and dad somehow just open the door and let them sing their hearts out, which severely frustrates J to an extreme. He starts having a fit.

He won't decorate the Christmas tree this year. He absolutely refuses. And he keeps picking leaves off of the Christmas tree and creating a bread crumb trail with them. If mom and dad do try to get him to pick it up or try to punish him for doing it, he has a fit, then shuts down and won't talk to anyone for a day.

If I'm not the one handing him instructions he literally refuses to listen to other people, if mom tells him its time to eat dinner he literally won't eat dinner unless I tell him its time to eat dinner. I think mom and dad want to kick me out for the holidays. I only came to visit and stay over for winter break, but its starting to become a bit of a hassle with J misbehaving almost all day long.

What can I do to deaden the Christmas strain?

What can I do to keep everyone's stress level to a minimum?

and why does my brother have a thing for the Christmas tree?

And why does he want revenge on the Christmas ornaments? [he keeps taking them off and hording them somewhere or worse breaks them]

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2010, 5:11 pm

Hmmm. Maybe it's too much. Maybe your family's ideal Christmas involves a tiny fake tree, a couple of songs, and a gift for everyone and that's all.

NOT A DOCTOR

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2010, 5:14 pm

DandelionFireworks wrote:
Hmmm. Maybe it's too much. Maybe your family's ideal Christmas involves a tiny fake tree, a couple of songs, and a gift for everyone and that's all.

You know what my parents would say if I suggested a tiny table tree?

That I'm not Christian enough. mhm.

Edit: Sometimes I wonder if they actually realize what autism is. And why my brother is the way he is. They think traditionally parenting will work on him. And it isn't. I can see it turns him into a terror. Traditional parenting gives him none of the things he needs with his mind. I know him. And when you give him his space and work with him, he's a sweet kid. He's bright and very imaginative. I wish my parents would see for once that maybe leaving him to his own devices sometimes is an okay thing. It keeps him calm, keeps everyone less stressful.

I don't know how to get them to realize his. They don't think special treatment is needed. They don't understand that maybe raising him slightly different is beneficial. So I'm sitting here on Christmas stressed to max trying to keep everyone low and mildly tempered.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2010, 5:46 pm

You seem to understand what J needs more than anyone else does. Would it be possible for you to take your parents to court and get legal custody of him? You don't have to; it's just a suggestion.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2010, 5:56 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
You seem to understand what J needs more than anyone else does. Would it be possible for you to take your parents to court and get legal custody of him? You don't have to; it's just a suggestion.

I had been contemplating this over and over again in my head.

I live in a small apartment, what happens when we go back to school?

I got to go to work after college, and have like five classes this semester. I have to think long term as well. Mom's an at home mom. She raised me, my brother at home, and she plans to raise J too.

But she seems to have hit a bump. What worked on me and L [19 year old] doesn't work on J. He's more difficult. But she refuses to see it that way. She's the parent and knows much better.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2010, 7:05 pm

Send her to WrongPlanet?

Use indestructible plastic ornaments?

Don't do anything to involve CPS. Just don't open that can of worms.

Have you already tried explaining, calmly and respectfully, what you've noticed about your brother?

NOT A DOCTOR

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2010, 10:00 pm

DandelionFireworks wrote:
Have you already tried explaining, calmly and respectfully, what you've noticed about your brother?

That's what I'm trying to do.

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2010, 10:43 pm

This is the first Christmas we've done a tree. I bought a 4ft tree...some pipe cleaners,crayons, string, stickers, glitter pip squeaks, and popsicle sticks, also some glittery craft stuff. We made most of the ornaments....daughter(AS) is picking the ornaments off and stuffing them in a tool box(currently sitting under the tree) and son(HFA) is picking at the tree leaves. I don't care Christmas is about spreading joy love and happiness and that is what we are going to do. We are going to adapt it to what we can handle so everyone enjoys it.

Tell your mother you'd like to try some new plans for this holiday. As for the carolers play some Christmas music and give J some ear plugs or take him someplace he would enjoy. Suggest to your mother that she and her husband make Christmas cookies and sit outside with warm drinks and cookies for the carolers to enjoy outside. The carolers will love this, she will look good, and they can sing all they like. I like Melatonin it helps so much with holiday jitters at our house. Holidays are about family and she should adapt some things for him. Perhaps give him a small table tree to pick at that can be ALL HIS and
why should he be forced to help decorate? Don't make cleaning up a punishment, take a picture of his creation and then both of you clean it up. Let him do something he enjoys instead of decorating the tree and somehow tie it in. Having a holiday at someone in your family's expense is hardly the Christian thing to do. Nor is it in the right spirit of the season.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2010, 11:17 pm

kate123A wrote:
This is the first Christmas we've done a tree. I bought a 4ft tree...some pipe cleaners,crayons, string, stickers, glitter pip squeaks, and popsicle sticks, also some glittery craft stuff. We made most of the ornaments....daughter(AS) is picking the ornaments off and stuffing them in a tool box(currently sitting under the tree) and son(HFA) is picking at the tree leaves. I don't care Christmas is about spreading joy love and happiness and that is what we are going to do. We are going to adapt it to what we can handle so everyone enjoys it.

Tell your mother you'd like to try some new plans for this holiday. As for the carolers play some Christmas music and give J some ear plugs or take him someplace he would enjoy. Suggest to your mother that she and her husband make Christmas cookies and sit outside with warm drinks and cookies for the carolers to enjoy outside. The carolers will love this, she will look good, and they can sing all they like. I like Melatonin it helps so much with holiday jitters at our house. Holidays are about family and she should adapt some things for him. Perhaps give him a small table tree to pick at that can be ALL HIS and
why should he be forced to help decorate? Don't make cleaning up a punishment, take a picture of his creation and then both of you clean it up. Let him do something he enjoys instead of decorating the tree and somehow tie it in. Having a holiday at someone in your family's expense is hardly the Christian thing to do. Nor is it in the right spirit of the season.

Thank you.

This is helpful. I should get my mom to read this post, if you don't mind.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 12:32 am

If the carolers cause him so much distress, you should ask them to leave. If they don't, threaten to call the police. Luckily, carolers have never shown up at my place but if they did, I wouldn't be able to take it either.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 3:13 am

PunkyKat wrote:
If the carolers cause him so much distress, you should ask them to leave. If they don't, threaten to call the police. Luckily, carolers have never shown up at my place but if they did, I wouldn't be able to take it either.

I have a couple of times. Problem is they are all mum's friends from church and friends from the neighborhood. So it seems a bit rude when I ask them to go away.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 8:18 am

What does your brother do to relax, regroup or come back from a meltdown? (Computer games? TV?) You might want to suggest that over the holidays, maybe the best gift for him is to have extra of whatever that is.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 11:26 am

momsparky wrote:
What does your brother do to relax, regroup or come back from a meltdown? (Computer games? TV?) You might want to suggest that over the holidays, maybe the best gift for him is to have extra of whatever that is.

Legos or video games, usually.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 12:57 pm

Pandora_Box wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:

I have a couple of times. Problem is they are all mum's friends from church and friends from the neighborhood. So it seems a bit rude when I ask them to go away.

Explain to them about your son. If they are your friends they should understand or at least make an effort to.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 1:05 pm

PunkyKat wrote:
Explain to them about your son. If they are your friends they should understand or at least make an effort to.

rofl!

He's my baby brother.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 1:56 pm

Pandora_Box wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:

rofl!

He's my baby brother.

Well, explain to them about your brother.