Developing those special interests

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

foobabe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jan 2011, 4:13 pm

My 11 year old is getting by in school and we'd really like to help him develop his strongest subject, history.
He obsesses about all things Star Wars at home which is fine. His teacher thinks he is really good at history so maybe it's the one subject to encourage? Besides the mountain of books that he sleeps with any suggestions...?

Thanks

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 4:42 pm

Compare everything to Star Wars. And weave history into a Star Wars-style narrative. Like, not a bunch of disjointed dates, but rather, set the scene, center on a group of people and their struggles, talk about all the drama.

I don't know much about Star Wars to give examples of things you could compare to it, but if he were into fish, say (just to give examples of the basic idea), you could elaborate on medieval diets, and how they weren't allowed to eat meat on certain days, so they kept fish for that purpose. And you could elaborate on which fish they could eat where. You could teach math by working out how many cardinal tetras and how many bandit cories would happily coexist in a 40-gallon given that you want equal numbers of each (this last being utterly arbitrary). You could use the nitrogen cycle as a step-stone for the rest of chemistry. (So, in your case, figure out whether wookies are k-strategists or r-strategists. What domain do they go in? Eukarya? What kingdom? Animalia? Are they actually related to other members of that kingdom, or do they just look like it-- homologous structures or analogous? Remember, Dear King Phillip Came Over For Good Spaghetti-- or maybe that should be changed to a Star Wars mnemonic.)

There's no reason to teach arbitrary math problems about trains-- make it about the Millenium Falcon and the Death Star racing... or something. Except actually make it plausible in-universe (you'll probably run into serious pickiness about saying stuff that makes sense-- you can't just toss out random names from Star Wars).

NOT A DOCTOR

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 6:20 am

My brother was always obsessed with history and he is now a high school history teacher and a football coach (football is his other love). When we were young he always wanted to stop at all the historic sites when we went on vacation. It was very exciting for him to stand where Custards last stand actually happened....stuff like that. Find out if there are any historic locations in your area and look for them when ever you take a road trip or family vacation. Fortunately my parents would always stop at these places for my brother and I know that this fueled his love of history even more.