Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

laplantain
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jul 2006, 10:04 pm

(UPDATE BELOW)

Original message: My son, 2 yrs 7 mos, just got an Asperger's diagnosis today from a neurologist. I am a little in shock, even though I always suspected that that was the case. Now Early Intervention is sending us to tour a special preschool, scheduled a psychological eval, asking us if we want to go through the local school dist when we turns 3, etc. etc.

I am feeling a little overwhelmed. Did anyone else get such an early dx (before the age of 3)? Did you put your child in a special school?

UPDATE

The child psychologist at Early Intervention agreed with our ped and said that AS isn't usually dx'd this early. She did give him a test for ASD, but he didn't want to do most of what she was asking so she said the results were inconclusive. She did say that she didn't see any signs of ASD so far, is going to observe him in a peer setting, and will retest him in November.

Also, the special school they referred him to isn't for ASD, like I first thought. It is just to deal with his physical and occupational therapy needs, so I feel a lot better about that.

Last edited by laplantain on 13 Jul 2006, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ryansjoy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jul 2006, 7:54 am

I tried so hard to get this when my son was this age because he was so different.. all i kept hearing is that I needed to be a stronger parent.. yeah right... i lost years of help.. be thankful that you child received this.. beacause now your child can get the help he needs. i did do special ed pre school because they did feel there was something wrong with my son. i found that they were helpful and they did help him.. problem was that what was going on with him was unkown so they just let him be. most of the other kids in this program were very low on the scale of learners, where my son did not have issues learning. so he was normal to them.. you should be getting your child in the special school ASAP and don't let the district drag their feet.. early is the best. he can get the services that will help him cope for the rest of his life. since they know he has AS they can educate him early and change many of the patterns that occur because he has AS. since the class will be small and he might have someone all to himself.. its the best for him to mold the person into a BETTER LEARNER. now is the most important time. I am not PRO daycare because I saw the impact it had on my son but I am pro special ed pre schools. it will help him get into a better place when he is ready for school. he will learn how to communicate with people easly at this young age with professional help. Its a blessing really! i know some parents think of the stigma because this is your baby, but be pleased now for he has a better chance than many other kids who had Dr.s and educators who ruined their childs chances of help. My son was denied services when he was going into kindergarten because his special ed pre school teacher did not catch the signs of AS. she was ignorant to the spectrum and thought it was more that my son was emotional rather than learning disabled. the DRs' would not step up to the plate because at the time our DR wanted us to be stronger parents.. I am thankful that a school psychologist stepped up at the metting and felt there was something wrong with my son. soo at least we retained speech therapy.. and from there the next school year they decided to up his services because of his delays. so if you have good dr's who see this now.. be happy.. all these services are FREE from the school.. its a blessing..

Colleen

ster
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2006, 8:11 am

glad to hear you got a dx! no experience personally with early dx's though....