Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 1:36 pm

An autistic person or a person with autism and an autistic child or a child with autism, personally I say who cares. It is saying the same thing. This is political correctness and I personally think it needs to go away. Changing the semantics does not change what a person thinks or feels about you. This is one of the problems I see with autism rights advocates and neurodiversity. The word "ret*d" orginally was a politically correct word that meant imbecile, idiot, etc. During that time people were ready to metaphorically burn down the castle if anyone used words like idiot and imbecile. If we're all to suceed in the world especially America fighting for political correctness is not the way to go.

My attitude is this. If you want to call me a ret*d knock yourself out. I'm not going to cry in my bedroom because some stupid smuchk calls me a ret*d. In my mind this person is silly and is a moron. A lot of times they call me that when people want to dodge my questions and can't or does not want to answer them. There is the old figure of speech and expression We have bigger fish to fry and I believe this is true. To me it is silly to fight over small helpings of mashed potatoes when we need to really be fighting for a huge turkey meaning fighting to ban the word ret*d is small in comparison to trying to actually gain acceptance and provide ourselves a living.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 3:36 pm

I just said in PM to someone can I say socially ret*d. That is how I feel sometimes when I feel other people on the spectrum have better social skills than me in an area in social skills. Instead of saying I feel so ret*d, I say socially ret*d so they would know I am referring to social only.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 6:01 pm

I was a very good child when I was younger. I was very quiet and respectful to other people. I was extremely shy and I had a few learning disabilities though.