Positive report: A+ in science!

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 9:36 pm

My aspie boy got an A+

108% in the big test. 100% or more in every other graded part of the course.

:D

He may not really understand why people care about the team or the dance, but he knows his orbitals!

Epsilon
Toucan
Toucan

06 Nov 2013, 10:05 pm

That's great-is in highschool/what year?

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 10:30 pm

Awesome,awesome!

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 11:07 pm

Epsilon wrote:
That's great-is in highschool/what year?

Just in the first year of middle school. 6th Grade. It's a long road ahead, but this was nice. He was so happy and proud!

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 12:04 am

How he got 8% more than a perfect score?

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 1:05 am

Tollorin wrote:
How he got 8% more than a perfect score?
Thinking he got bonus questions right.

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 5:43 am

yayy, a little aspie scientist.

b_edward
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Nov 2013, 11:28 am

Cool.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 6:18 pm

Way to go, Kid! Point for Team Aspie!!

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 7:56 pm

Very nice! :)

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 11:01 am

InThisTogether wrote:

Thanks!

Thanks, everyone.

I like your post, BuyerBeware, I do feel like it's a win for us collectively. I have seen a number of threads on this and other boards here with some variation on the topic: why isn't there any positivity here? (where are the successful aspies? why only negative stories, etc.)

I think sometimes we emphasize the negative because we need help and minimize the positive because we don't want to seem like braggarts or be insensitive to the suffering of others in our moments of joy. I think we need to consciously reduce the effect of this natural situation by sharing some of our good news.

So I will try to balance my concerns over the negative impacts with reports on the brighter side of our lives. I really do agree with the statement in your avatar name, "InThisTogether."

postcards57
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2013, 11:09 pm

This is wonderful to hear! I'm so glad you shared the good news!
J.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 7:34 am

I LOVE to read positive reports! Good for your son!

MMJMOM
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 7:53 am

WOO HOO!! ! Congrats :)

M-, who would be 6 1/2, my forever angel baby
E- 1 year old!! !

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 12:08 pm

Adamantium wrote:
InThisTogether wrote:

Thanks!

Thanks, everyone.

I like your post, BuyerBeware, I do feel like it's a win for us collectively. I have seen a number of threads on this and other boards here with some variation on the topic: why isn't there any positivity here? (where are the successful aspies? why only negative stories, etc.)

I think sometimes we emphasize the negative because we need help and minimize the positive because we don't want to seem like braggarts or be insensitive to the suffering of others in our moments of joy. I think we need to consciously reduce the effect of this natural situation by sharing some of our good news.

So I will try to balance my concerns over the negative impacts with reports on the brighter side of our lives. I really do agree with the statement in your avatar name, "InThisTogether."

I'd be inclined to agree with you, Adamantium. I note that, when we talk about our own positives and successes, we're "self-congratulatory." When we talk about our failures, we're "facing up to reality." This reinforces negativity, and is probably the reason that the other window open on my computer right now is for full-time, live in caregivers (because I'm looking to replace me, not because I'm looking for help).

When we talk about our kids' failures, we're "proactive parents." When we talk about their positives, we're "braggarts in denial." This is probably the reason that I'm looking at my bright, personable, outgoing son (who has an A/B average, makes consistently perfect scores on his homework with very little support at home, actually has friends that he went out and made for himself, basically for an ASD kid has everything going for him) and seeing a broken person, with no hope for any kind of future, who needs to be castrated and heavily sedated NOW, while he can still accept it as "just the way things are."

This is an unsustainable situation. I was reading about statistics yesterday-- Hubby pulled up dozens of threads on how statistics lie, trying to counter my argument that we might as well give up on the boy (and hire the special-needs nanny, and transition me out of our family). We're committing the statistical deception known as "Clinician's Illusion," whereby we focus on problems and make things look a lot bleaker than they really are.

This is the A-Number-One reason why I can be found around here saying I'm BLOODY GLAD there was no diagnosis for me as a child, why my husband is not real enthused about getting the boy diagnosed, and why Temple Grandin (and a few other astute people) say there is a "Lost Generation" of Aspergians who will not work up to anything like their potential (because they believe they cannot, and thus sit around collecting disability and hating themselves).

To live in a world of grim statistics, with a focus on failures and a future full of looming struggles-- no one in their right mind would recommend this for a typical kid. To STOP DOING THIS is pretty much the focus of CBT for depression and anxiety. So-- why are we encouraged in doing it?? There's a word for that-- ABLEISM. LEARNED HELPLESSNESS. SELF-FULFILLING PROPHECY.

I know there's a "Say Something Positive About Your Kid" thread here somewhere. I think it's a sticky. If it's not, it should be. Maybe we should all make a point of posting to it weekly????