Dylan's First Two Days of School

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2006, 11:46 am

... went really really well, except for the fact that it took several adults to get him indoors from recess and off the playground equipment. He has a full-time aide to help him out. The woman knows both Dylan's father and Dylan's grandparents (father's side) so she seems really nice. He'll be getting a small room (too small for my liking) for a sensory play room where he'll go twice a day for 15 minutes a day to calm down from anxiety and overstimulation of the day. Right now he goes from 8:30am to 10:30am in the mornings and will for maybe another week than we transition till after lunch and then after another 1-2 wks of that, he'll be full day and then in the afterschool program as well. Also we were told he'd be getting some time with the resource teacher and all to work on behavior management and social skills with other kids and all. Still haven't heard anything on the speech therapy area and rather bit disappointed on the fact that the sensory room was not in place for him before he started and such. Dylan seems to be enjoying it so far. Can't believe we're almost done the first week of school already.

Hard to believe being a mom on the spectrum and of a spectrum child going to school for the first time could feel so nerve-wrecking, I was in tears walking out of the school because I was more nervous about it all than Dylan was. 5 1/2 yrs old and in grade primary... hard to believe that time went by this quick.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2006, 12:12 pm

I'm glad things went well all thing considered. I have an NT daughter (grade 2) in school for the first time (she was homeschooled up to now) and I was and still am scared to death. The interaction with the teachers and other parents is really, really hard for me. My daughter is fine though, she loves it.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2006, 1:07 pm

glad to hear things are going well

bigbear
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Sep 2006, 4:04 pm

LOL I felt the exact same way, although its been a while..... last week my son started 6th grade at the middle school. I dont think my son was as worried as I was. I dropped of my NT daughter at the second grade and she said "ok mom you can leave now" lol I didnt want to.

SandySue
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Sep 2006, 8:47 am

My previously homeschooled son started public high school this week. I was a nervous wreck! He is fine, he loves school. When I ask him about homework he tells me to mind my own business, I'm not his teacher anymore. It is really difficult to determine how much to step in and force him to accept my help so that he can be successful and how much to step back and let him figure things out for himself. Organization is such a big issue for him. We spent a half hour running around the house this morning trying to find his band shirt that he was supposed to wear to school b/c it's the first real football game tonight. I tried to calmly explain to him that this was the type of thing that I had to know about the night before so that I could make sure it was clean and layed out for the morning. We didn't find it and he went to school without it. I'm not sure what the consequences will be. He had to stay an hour after school yesterday b/c he forgot to go to band practice on Tuesday. We'll see what happens today...

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2006, 10:47 am

For me a lot of it was if the staff at the school would be able to handle things. Out of 435 children enrolled at the school, he's mainstreamed with a fulltime aide in the classroom and is the only child dx'd on the autism spectrum in the school so there has been a lot of things, that have had to take special accomodations just for him.