Newly Dx 6yo Son PDD NOS/ OCPD/ ADHD/ GAD

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MomtoJoeJoe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Oct 2011, 9:20 pm

Hello everyone,

I again wanted to thank you for your info and opinions. I have decided to get yet ANOTHER opinion. We just had our second meeting with the psychiatrist today and needless to say I left very aggravated. Last time we met, the first visit, I tried to show him a video of my son where he is stimming, which he does quite often several times daily. This video showed him doing the hand flapping that he always does but along with that a head movement also, as we were trying to start homework. Well the psychiatrist decided to watch it today, and said "I think he is having seizures, brought on by visual stimulation". I said but its not only when he is on a computer or watching tv, it is whenever he is "excited" or happy. He could be standing by a lake and does it because the water excites him.

He suggested seeing a pediatric neurologist and having an EEG done with visual stimulation. I agreed and left, at that moment I decided that I was not very comfortable with his ADHD OCPD GAD PDD NOS diagnosis. I, my husband and my son's teacher who spend the most time with him feel that he meets the criteria for an Aspergers diagnosis. I have an appointment with a PED Neuro next month and plan on keeping that and also keeping my son off meds until I find someone I feel comfortable with.

Also the school psychologist will be doing their own battery of testing within the next few weeks. I am just so frustrated because I thought we were getting somewhere with someone that understood and this psychiatrist seemed at first like he was very well versed in ASD but now I feel that he was really PUSHING meds and an ADHD Dx.

Thanks everyone for your help.

-- A very frustrated and worn out mommy.

cutiecrystalmom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Oct 2011, 10:39 pm

Hmmm, did we see the same psychiatrist? :roll:

Don't give up MomtoJoeJoe, you know what is going on, and you will get there, it is just going to take some time and some energy. I know what road you are on, I am on it too, but keep trudging through the mud, you will get someone to listen, it just might take some time.

At least he had the presence of mind to throw PDD-NOS into the mix, the psychiatrist who "listened" to us said our son's hand flapping and jumping/pacing was ADHD. Your description of your son flapping while watching water at the lake - wow, echo's what we see with our son as well.

Keep going ((MomtoJoeJoe))

cutiecrystalmom