Son not wanting to attend OT...any thoughts

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

lovelyboy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Oct 2011, 11:03 pm

My son usually loves OT...he only went 4 times.....

But the big motor activities stays the same every week...like swinging, hammock, sliding, exct.
I'm an OT myself so I do understand why this is important....but she lets him choose every time what he wants to do...plan it and go through the movements......but their is no obvious goal for him to see, like a built in game, some competition or stuff 8 yr olds would enjoy.....I get the impression that she puts in minimal effort in planning or prepairing the session....I know that her goal is for him to learn planning and follow through prosessing, but he doesn't know it.

So yesterday my son announced that he doesn't want to go anymore...I don't really blame him.....but I know he needs OT...
They started working on cognitive skills to decrease his anxiety, but only spends 10 minutes at the end of the session on this part.....

What to do: Do you guys think I must be honest with her? Tell her my sons feelings....I don't want to sound critical or as if I know better....but hey, we are paying plenty of cash for each session!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 11:17 pm

lovelyboy wrote:
My son usually loves OT...he only went 4 times.....

But the big motor activities stays the same every week...like swinging, hammock, sliding, exct.
I'm an OT myself so I do understand why this is important....but she lets him choose every time what he wants to do...plan it and go through the movements......but their is no obvious goal for him to see, like a built in game, some competition or stuff 8 yr olds would enjoy.....I get the impression that she puts in minimal effort in planning or prepairing the session....I know that her goal is for him to learn planning and follow through prosessing, but he doesn't know it.

So yesterday my son announced that he doesn't want to go anymore...I don't really blame him.....but I know he needs OT...
They started working on cognitive skills to decrease his anxiety, but only spends 10 minutes at the end of the session on this part.....

What to do: Do you guys think I must be honest with her? Tell her my sons feelings....I don't want to sound critical or as if I know better....but hey, we are paying plenty of cash for each session!

My daughter recently told me she doesn't want to go speech therapy anymore. All I have done is switch to having the session in a different venue.

lovelyboy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Oct 2011, 2:46 am

Ok...so he didn't want to go at all today...he says it's midterm brake...doesn't want to go to school for OT. But he does look a bit 'not well'...looks very tired, I already saw last night he was more anxious, more seperation anxiety and so on....I just have this gut feeling that he isn't in a good place at the moment....

Will see next week.....

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 11:36 pm

lovelyboy wrote:
Ok...so he didn't want to go at all today...he says it's midterm brake...doesn't want to go to school for OT. But he does look a bit 'not well'...looks very tired, I already saw last night he was more anxious, more seperation anxiety and so on....I just have this gut feeling that he isn't in a good place at the moment....

Will see next week.....

I had a discussion with teachers. We think it has something to do with the time of day. Some ASD children become overstimulated as the day progresses and need "downtime" to relax and calm down. In that scenario if you have OT classes in the early morning (say 9 or 10am) your son might be more receptive.

In my daughter's case I have also changed the venue as being home there is too many distractions.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 10:51 am

Let's put it this way - if a parent approached you with concerns about their child, how would you react? I think it's normal to offer suggestions to help a therapist best help your child: something like "My son gets bored easily if there isn't a goal. He's starting to resist OT, and I know that what you're doing is important; is there a way we could give him some kind of ________________________________________?"

And, bribery works. We get our son to a social skills class and a one-hour therapy session with the promise of free use of the iphone on the drive over, and dessert on social skills class night. He doesn't like either, but he's willing to do just about anything for screen time.

lovelyboy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Oct 2011, 3:41 am

Thanx...I think we need to just gently have a talk to her...if she is clued up with AS she would understand that they need goals and not be occupied with nonstructured activities! I think sometimes she forgets this little part of the diagnosis! :roll: :oops: