Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 10:37 am

My 6-yr-old loves jokes. Likes to be told jokes, and loves to tell them. Laughs at both.
The problem is, this is how one of his "jokes" typically goes:

Him: Knock knock
Me: Who's there?
Him: A tree
Me: A tree who?
Him: A big tree and a clock! (laughs)

Have tried every way of explaining what makes a joke a joke - which is really hard, actually! I don't think he is "getting" the actual jokes that I tell him, either. I think he just laughs because he knows it's expected. I think he may even be telling jokes as a way of trying to figure it out for himself. I suppose at some point he will eventually catch on. Anecdotes and/or advice?

b9
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 10:51 am

i am not sure that many 6 year olds understand humor beyond the concept of "that's silly".

i think his joke would make me laugh because the answer is so absurd and nonsensical.

knock knock
who's there?
linda
linda who?
linda who knows a forklift with a broken left headlight!

the nonsense to me is kind of funny because it is unexpected, and the look of bemused confusion on the face of the audience is the real goal . that is the funny thing.

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 12:42 pm

Our 5 yo does exactly the same thing :lol: ! He has managed to memorize a few knock-knock jokes and tells them the "right" way. We have a couple kids joke books which he REALLY likes. Have you tried any with your DS?