Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 1:55 pm

I've been teaching young children since 1991, and preschoolers who are on the autism spectrum--or show autism-like traits--since 2006. I love 'em!

I'm going to write a blurb for my community association's newsletter asking/advising people who may see someone wandering/eloping to do something about it and not just walk on by. I've got some good resources and general advice (about tracking devices, calling 9-1-1, and the Big Red Safety Box), but I'd like more info. Specifically: if someone feels it's important to approach a wanderer, what advice would you give? In my own experience, I'm confident that I would know how to assess the situation and if/how to approach or shadow someone, but because of the work I've been doing for two decades, a lot of it would come naturally to me and I can't necessarily explain it to the average person on the street clearly! I have a fairly detailed draft written up, but I want to do a "blind" request of parents and family members to see if there's anything I've left out, or if your wording suits my article better.

Thank you all!