Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mama_to_Grace
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2012, 7:19 pm

My daughter has reading issues which stem from comprehension problems which I am finding out are problems with concept imagery. She can't seem to put the words into a story in her head. This is causing major reading refusal issues. There is a program (quite expensive) called Visualizing and Verbalizing. It helps with these issues. I am trying to learn all I can about it so I can practice some of the techniques with my daughter.

SC_2010
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2012, 10:17 pm

Mama_to_Grace wrote:
My daughter has reading issues which stem from comprehension problems which I am finding out are problems with concept imagery. She can't seem to put the words into a story in her head. This is causing major reading refusal issues. There is a program (quite expensive) called Visualizing and Verbalizing. It helps with these issues. I am trying to learn all I can about it so I can practice some of the techniques with my daughter.

I love V and V!! ! It's funny, but I used to have poor visual skills that made reading compehension difficult. It wasn't until V and V until I realized you were supposed to have a "movie in you head" I enjoy reading a LOT more now that I've practiced! I've seen it work well for many kiddos as well.

Chris71
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jun 2012, 2:42 am

Here is a good exam extract, the passage in this test is coincidentally about Autism Spectrum Disorders ; this document has questions and answers and explains the answers.
It was interesting to see what the examiners were looking for.

http://www.englishforeveryone.org/PDFs/ ... sage_4.pdf

Definately worth a try ; would be interesting to see who agrees or disagrees with the examiners.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 6:32 am

When you're reading the story and you get to the point with how the character feels you could stop there and ask him how he thinks the characters feels. If he's unsure you could give him an example of a time he felt that way himself and compare it to how the character feels.