AS friendly schools in south east sub melbourne

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

verticalmum
Raven
Raven

25 Aug 2012, 7:21 pm

Hi there,
Just wondering if any parents out there live in the southeast/bayside area of melbourne. I have a 7 yr old son with AS and the school he is in are not supportive of him. He hates going to school, but they don't see a problem because as with many AS kids, he doesn't play up at school, he just saves it all for home....... :cry:
He does have a IEP , but does not qualify for an aide.
I would really like him to want to go to school, and be happy there.
Any suggestions would be great. I am also diagnosed AS , so find it hard to actually go to schools and judge if they are going to be helpfull or not. They all tell you they support students with disabilities, but his present school said this, and is not.....
Thanks,
verticalmum.

Shellfish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Aug 2012, 4:58 am

Hi Verticalmum,

Unfortunately, I can't offer any advice on schools as we are in a different area (inner east) but also, DS is only starting school next year so this is all very new and I will say, scary as hell.
We had been told by many different professionals that DS will not receive funding in a state school as he is 'too high functioning' (he doesn't have a speech delay and he doesn't kick his teacher, basically..) In the end we are going with a catholic school (we aren't religious and aren't catholic but got him baptised Anglican and this has helped). His Early intervention therapist says that the mere fact that he has a diagnosis means he will get some funding (probably not a huge amount but every little bit counts) and I have also been told that Catholic schools are more nurturing in general and particularly to special needs kids.
For more specific help it may be worth looking at forums that are Aus specific (raising children or bubhub) but all the best, I hope you get the help you are looking for.

verticalmum
Raven
Raven

27 Aug 2012, 8:13 pm

Hi Shellfish,
Ok, thank you for your suggestions. My DS is similar it sounds, he doesn't kick his teacher (yet) and is also high functioning.
Will have a look at the other forums also.
Thank you.
verticalmum.