Age-appropriate sex-ed for 8 yo

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

zette
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2013, 6:10 pm

Anybody got a favorite book to recommend for an 8 yo? DS8 asked a few explicit questions like, "How does a baby come out?" "How does sex work?" and "What do you call it when you pay for sex?" on the way to school (great, I have to answer this on-the-fly, while driving, in 5 minutes or less?)

I showed him an animated, medical version of a vaginal birth when he asked a year or two ago (showing the baby turn through the birth canal and come out) but it didn't seem to satisfy him. He really wants to see a real video, but I'm not sure the messy reality is something he's really ready for. Maybe I should show him birth videos of kittens and puppies? As for the sex act itself, I was about 10 when I worked out which part goes where, and I tend to think that should be left a little vague for the time being...

MiahClone
Toucan
Toucan

08 Oct 2013, 7:19 pm

This may be completely the wrong tact, but certain things like the specifics of the actual sex act, I tell my boys that if they are young enough to have to ask, then they aren't old enough to know. I tell them this as a matter of fact, that's just the way things are manner, not a teasing one. They know the basics and some safety aspects--these will be expanded as they get older, but specifics? They get the you aren't old enough to know answer.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2013, 7:34 pm

This is the one we have: "It's not the Stork"
by Robie H. Harris

The same people write different books with different information:

"Isn't It Amazing" is the main book .

The above involves heavier issues we are not ready for, yet.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2013, 8:23 pm

Well, it helps to have an older brother who learned about it in health class. My daughter thought you got pregnant from kissing. Her brother said "Trust me. That is NOT how it happens and you DON'T want to know how it really does." That stopped her questions! LOL!

Although today she asked me how is a baby REALLY made. So I told her the mom has an egg and the dad has a sperm and when they come together it makes a baby. She also knows the baby comes out through the "birth canal" but she has never asked much past that. It sounds like your son is asking more advanced questions than that. I think I would tend to be very technical, using all anatomically correct language and just make it very matter of fact at this age.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2013, 8:40 pm

When DS was about six, he asked how babies get out of their mom's belly. I told him that, just as people have a hole for peeing and a hole for pooping, girls also have a hole for babies to come out. He asked me if it was the bellybutton. I said no it's called a vagina.
So now he knows how babies get out. He hasn't asked yet how they get in. When he does, I plan to tell him truthfully but in as little detail as will satisfy him.