Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

JHwolf
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jan 2014, 1:00 am

While I'm not a parent but rather a cousin. A cousin of mine had a child and as of late he has been showing signs of AS, after living 18 years with the thing I wish for him to have the best chance at life possible.

I think that early socalization could help but what else is there?

foobabe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jan 2014, 5:35 am

Maybe have your cousin join these forums? Any local support groups in the local area??

Dmarcotte
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jan 2014, 11:43 am

You don't say what symptoms he is showing but I know that sensory issues often are part of aspergers/autism. You may want to check into games/ activities to play that will address these types of issues.

Another option is his diet - does he eat a lot of junk (sugar/ fatty snacks/ things with additives) - while you can't directly effect this it might be something to think about mentioning to his parents.

Again - without know what symptoms specifically If he is having trouble with social interactions I would suggest finding books that help with recognizing facial expressions and read them to him frequently.

Just a couple of ideas.

EmileMulder
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jan 2014, 4:54 pm

I know the organisation is somewhat controversial in the ASD community, but autismspeaks.org has some good resources for parents who suspect their kid may have autism (videos explaining the symptoms and links to other resources). A good first step is to talk to the pediatrician about it. Early intervention is very important. I'm assuming from your post, that you yourself have AS, which is great, that you can help them in understanding their son. It's important to know that there is a wide range in the social and communicative deficits in ASDs, so your experience and your specific needs may be completely different from your cousin's.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2014, 8:48 am

As a cousin, you have to be a little careful. I do not know how young your cousin is or how close you to his/her parents, but parents generally do not like people telling them there is something "wrong" with their kid. They may very well have concerns of there own, discussed it with their pediatrician and are not choosing to inform members of the family until/unless their is a definitive diagnosis.

***Disclosing bias: My husband and I do not have a supportive family and are not disclosing to them. Some have figured it out, or we suspect have been illegally told by gossips in the school system. (We are not sure) so I am looking at this from an unusual perspective. Even if I thought one relative was supportive and would be of help, I would not tell that person if I thought that information would get to anyone else.

As a cousin, your biggest influence will probably be your own interactions with the child, or if the child's parents know of your diagnosis, they might ask you or your parents for advice if they have suspicions.