Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

JeffreyMoney
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Apr 2014, 7:19 pm

Hello, I am conducting research on adolescents with nonverbal learning disorders. I am a social worker finishing a PhD at the Institute for Clinical Social Work in Chicago. I have observed there is very little research that looks at the subjective experiences of individuals with NVLD. As such, I would like to interview high school students who have been diagnosed with NVLD to further our understanding of how those with NVLD navigate high school. The consent and interview process takes about an hour. If you are or know parents of highschoolers who might be interested, please message or have them message me. Interviewees will be compensated for their time.
Thank you, Jeffrey Money, LCSW

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 7:12 pm

I have a middle schooler (7th grade, 12 years old). If for some reason your age range expands, I'd be happy to ask him how he would feel about it, though we do not live in the same geographical area.

JeffreyMoney
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Apr 2014, 9:06 am

Thanks for the reply. I will keep you in mind. I could always do a Facetime if need be.

KariLynn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2014, 6:47 am

Sounds interesting. Please post a link to your work when you are finished. Good Luck!

sunshinescj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Apr 2014, 2:02 pm

I have newly diagnosed NVLD but it has affected me my whole life I now realize. I'm going into the 9th grade next year but I attend a high school so I still have to navigate a high school with 2500 kids

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 7:57 pm

sunshinescj wrote:
I have newly diagnosed NVLD but it has affected me my whole life I now realize. I'm going into the 9th grade next year but I attend a high school so I still have to navigate a high school with 2500 kids

Sorry for the hijack...

As an aside, I would be interested in hearing more about how it effects you if you wouldn't mind sharing. Either in a pm or a new thread. If you don't want to, that's ok. Totally respect that. But since you are close in age to my son, I think I would find your insights interesting and helpful. I am particularly interested to know if you have an effective organizational strategy and whether or not you have found a way to make it to your locker at all between classes. My son has not gone to his locker since the first day of school because he is afraid he will not make it to class on time. It took him a year to learn the school and even to this day, if he is forced to take a different route than the one he has planned, I suspect he feels lost.

JeffreyMoney
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Apr 2014, 9:15 pm

Sunshinejc, I work in a high school of 2700 kids. It's not uncommon for students who struggle with direction, organization, anxiety etc to carry huge back packs with everything they need for the day. In fact, I have observed that kids rarely go to their lockers during the day (they are too small, anyway). Its great that you are aware of your diagnosis so you can be better prepared. I work with many kids with the NVLD and unfortunately, many come to me undiagnosed and are confused and struggling. If you have not already considered it, walk your schedule before school begins. Take a look at where all of the resources are in the building. A social worker or psychologist who has an awareness of NVLD can be a great friend to have early on until you get a routine down. If they are not real familiar with NVLD, take the opportunity to educate them! I would be glad to interview you once you have some high school experience. I need parent permission, of course.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 9:45 pm

JeffreyMoney wrote:
Sunshinejc, I work in a high school of 2700 kids. It's not uncommon for students who struggle with direction, organization, anxiety etc to carry huge back packs with everything they need for the day. In fact, I have observed that kids rarely go to their lockers during the day (they are too small, anyway). Its great that you are aware of your diagnosis so you can be better prepared. I work with many kids with the NVLD and unfortunately, many come to me undiagnosed and are confused and struggling. If you have not already considered it, walk your schedule before school begins. Take a look at where all of the resources are in the building. A social worker or psychologist who has an awareness of NVLD can be a great friend to have early on until you get a routine down. If they are not real familiar with NVLD, take the opportunity to educate them! I would be glad to interview you once you have some high school experience. I need parent permission, of course.

I think you directed your feedback to me to sunshinescj! :wink:

Unfortunately, my son's school does not allow students to carry backpacks. I have gotten him a binder with a strap attached to it and permission to carry one of those bags with a string closure. The summer before 6th grade started (his first year of middle school) we went to the school and spent 2 hours walking his classes in order. Then I drew him a map on an index card that he kept in his pocket until he felt more confident.

He has a comorbid of ADHD and sometimes it is really hard for me to "unentangle" them to know where the issues arise from, though I suppose in many regards that doesn't matter.

What resources do you think are most helpful and appropriate to share with school staff? I usually use nldontheweb.org and ldonline.org. Are there other useful sites?

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 3:33 am

InThisTogether wrote:
JeffreyMoney wrote:

I think you directed your feedback to me to sunshinescj! :wink:

Unfortunately, my son's school does not allow students to carry backpacks. I have gotten him a binder with a strap attached to it and permission to carry one of those bags with a string closure. The summer before 6th grade started (his first year of middle school) we went to the school and spent 2 hours walking his classes in order. Then I drew him a map on an index card that he kept in his pocket until he felt more confident.

He has a comorbid of ADHD and sometimes it is really hard for me to "unentangle" them to know where the issues arise from, though I suppose in many regards that doesn't matter.

What resources do you think are most helpful and appropriate to share with school staff? I usually use nldontheweb.org and ldonline.org. Are there other useful sites?

InThisTogether,

I am not currently a kid, but I had this problem in school. myself. I had a lot of anxiety about getting through the halls to my classes on time, and I only went to my locker at lunch. Will he at least go at lunchtime. That would cut the books he needs in half.

Many schools nowadays, for reasons of paranoia, are getting rid of lockers entirely, and have a second set of books in the classroom, while the first set stays at home for homework. I bet you could get an accommodation for something like that, if it did not embarrass him. If we had kept up in public school, I was going to ask for that as an accommodation for our son if he could somehow even manage to change classes.