Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ellemenope
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Apr 2014, 5:19 am

My son (almost 4) is an echolaliac and uses scripts to communicate, to stim, and for his entertainment.
He also has a bunch of "spontaneous" language that has evolved from scripts he's learned and changed.
He also has some limited "original" language.

He communicates at an ok level- he can usually tell us what he wants or needs (unless he doesn't know himself what he wants or needs...that's fun). He can comment on things he sees or things other people say. He can greet people and some other basic things etc. He can talk about his special interests using chopped up scripts and info that he knows. He doesn't do very well communicating feelings or how he feels physically- I think this has more to do with him not being able to decode/process sensory stuff and translate into words even if he knows the actual words...

But I feel like lately he's stalled and isn't moving forward in his communication as much as he or we would like. I think he is getting more frustrated with not being able to say what he wants, and of course we'd like to be able to talk with him on a different level eventually.

Because he does so well memorizing and using scripts, one of the (many) things we do to encourage his language development is try to teach him scripts that are more useful than things from books and TV that he memorizes and then try to get him to use them in context- you know taking advantage of the gestalt style of language acquisition. This does work, but the scripts don't seem to stick as well as those he reads from his favourite books.

I'm looking for books or shows or anything that has USEFUL scripts that can be used in normal everyday interactions or conversations that we can pluck out and teach context for. Things that he will be interested in and that he might like to read or watch ad nauseam.

Any suggestions?
Or anything that worked for you to take steps toward better communication with an echolaliac?

As always, thanks. :)

MMJMOM
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 7:26 am

does e also get speech therapy? My son also learned to talk by extracting scripts from TV shows or what we say to him, he always used his scripts in appropriate manners, but he also got speech in pre school. that helped leaps and bounds.

M-, who would be 6 1/2, my forever angel baby
E- 1 year old!! !

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 7:26 am

Hi,

Nothing will get you as far as special interests. We did the social story thing, too, and they were OK, but never as good as the actual real fun stuff. What I suggest is going through his favorite shows and movies and plucking out prosocial/educational messages you want to reinforce, and use those lines as appropriate. You can actually converse in "echolalia."

The other thing I recommend is trying to expand horizons if you can, to include more shows, so you can get more quotes. I used to have PBS KIDS on all day. My son wasn't watching it. It was for me. So, I could find shows, or episodes with the right "theme" and some good quotes that had a hook he might like. He is not really a TV guy, but you can get him to watch parts of things, sometimes. if he likes it, he'll repeat it. He does not care if it is too "babyish" either because that might even make it funnier. I even got some things from the funnier things on Nick Jr. like Yo Gabba Gabba, b/c he likes goofy songs.

Now that I am homeschooling I don't get to do this much b/c we have to focus.

Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood has some good pithy little songs, if he would like a little anthropomorphized tiger cub. I don't know what kind of shows your son likes, so it is hard to recommend. If he doesn't care that it is a "girlish" kind of show, I found Kai Lan on Nick Jr. to have a lot of prosocial songs.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 7:35 am

I second Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood and the original Mr. Rogers. Little Bill is good too.

I learned to speak like your son and what eventually helped was reading and writing and typing. My creative use if language has always been significantly better when I can see and manipulate the words.

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 7:40 am

Hi Screen Name, how are you?

LOL...I was bothered when Mr Rogers used to take off his shoes; I sensed the smell of the room.

Seriously, Mr Rogers was all right--but I was more influenced by the World of Make-Believe. I especially liked the spinning museum with that old lady who ran it (who I later found out was somewhat prickly in personality).

Sorry, OP.....off topic a bit LOL

It think it's a great idea expanding upon the scripts he already uses. This will expand his "schema"--his view of the world.

At such a young as your kid, I would make lots of use of what he enjoys, while reinforcing social rules--making "nice" with people.

ellemenope
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Apr 2014, 10:49 am

MMJMOM wrote:
does e also get speech therapy? My son also learned to talk by extracting scripts from TV shows or what we say to him, he always used his scripts in appropriate manners, but he also got speech in pre school. that helped leaps and bounds.

He was in speech therapy from the age of 2.5 for about a year until his therapist left the university. She was really great and very intelligent, studying for her PhD, and they worked well together. She basically told me (and it corresponds to what I've read, that there is no "fixing" therapy for echolalia- it's a stage in speech development that lasts longer in children who are autistic and perhaps sticks around forever because it is useful as well as pleasurable. She also said some children learn better and/or sooner than others how to mitigate it or camouflage it and this process can be helped but will also happen naturally. Anyway, we haven't found found a therapist who is worth our time or money since her. I work with my son on speech and we use a guide called "Teach Me Language" which is really great now that he reads very well. It's getting him to sit and focus that is the hard part.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2014, 10:55 am

Sitting and focusing can be a huge obstacle. I try to make what I do as kinesthetically friendly as I can, as well as bright and visual and that helps. Special interests help, too. (I know I said that already but it is true.) Any way that I can integrate them helps in everything I do. There tends to be special interest tangent thing, that still goes on, but it keeps him rom just randomly going off on things, and we get more done.

ellemenope
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Apr 2014, 10:58 am

ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
Hi,

Nothing will get you as far as special interests. We did the social story thing, too, and they were OK, but never as good as the actual real fun stuff. What I suggest is going through his favorite shows and movies and plucking out prosocial/educational messages you want to reinforce, and use those lines as appropriate. You can actually converse in "echolalia."

The other thing I recommend is trying to expand horizons if you can, to include more shows, so you can get more quotes. I used to have PBS KIDS on all day. My son wasn't watching it. It was for me. So, I could find shows, or episodes with the right "theme" and some good quotes that had a hook he might like. He is not really a TV guy, but you can get him to watch parts of things, sometimes. if he likes it, he'll repeat it. He does not care if it is too "babyish" either because that might even make it funnier. I even got some things from the funnier things on Nick Jr. like Yo Gabba Gabba, b/c he likes goofy songs.

Now that I am homeschooling I don't get to do this much b/c we have to focus.

Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood has some good pithy little songs, if he would like a little anthropomorphized tiger cub. I don't know what kind of shows your son likes, so it is hard to recommend. If he doesn't care that it is a "girlish" kind of show, I found Kai Lan on Nick Jr. to have a lot of prosocial songs.

You know we really cut down on his TV watching when school started this fall, and I noticed a slowing in the variety of scripts he used. We are not a "TV" home but I'm starting to think we should let him watch more. Right now he watches a couple of hours a week and usually it's just old shows that he's seen a bunch of times already (Dinosaur Train, Octonauts, Sesame St., and some downloads about his special interests as well as music videos). I will expand what he watches and I bet that will make a difference- I don't think he knows what "girly" is, I don't think he'd mind.

One thing that made us cut out some TV programs was that children's shows often present a highly charged emotional problem at the start of the show to be solved later- and DS would latch onto language from the upsetting event. Then when he was upset he would use that language instead of using the scripts we were really trying to teach him to ask for help, identify his needs and emotions, etc. This is still a problem. He does latch on most to the emotionally charged language or the sing-songy stuff that often isn't so useful. Hmm.

Anyway, I will look into the shows you mentioned- Thanks!

ellemenope
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Apr 2014, 11:08 am

screen_name wrote:
I second Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood and the original Mr. Rogers. Little Bill is good too.

I learned to speak like your son and what eventually helped was reading and writing and typing. My creative use if language has always been significantly better when I can see and manipulate the words.

Thanks for the input. I can't tell you how incredibly uplifting it is to read "I learned to speak like your son" :D
My son just started writing- I mean he's not four yet, so actually just physically writing words, not stories or anything of the sort. And he LOVES it- he is fascinated with making the letters. He is actually picking up a second language because we live abroad and he has learned a totally different alphabet and number script too. He likes to make the shapes of letters with strings (especially because he loves to stim with strings and ribbons etc) and blocks, legos, write in the sand, make the shapes with his stuffed animals and contort his body to make letter shapes. It's so strange and amazing and he does it all the time now! He has always been fascinated by letters and number and was able to identify them when he was 9 months old so I guess it's his thing. I have no doubt that he will really love expressing himself in the written form.

As for me, I can only properly sort out and identify how I am feeling when I write about it. My husband and I always, ALWAYS, resolve any issues or fights we have through email. We just can't do it through talking face to face it doesn't work for me.

Thanks for your input... I will look for Little Bill. The original Mr Rogers ...maybe!

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2014, 12:19 pm

I'm glad that was helpful to hear.

If he is reading, or even if he just has some phonemic or print awareness (which it sounds like he does), you could write the words of the scripts he says--one word on one index card each. Then, he can rearrange the words to make new sentences which you read (or he could, when it becomes a non-frustrating task). It might just be a fun activity, but I think I would have found that useful. I wouldn't do it *when* he is trying to communicate--just during playtime to enhance his ability to create novel utterances.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2014, 12:57 pm

ellemenope wrote:

One thing that made us cut out some TV programs was that children's shows often present a highly charged emotional problem at the start of the show to be solved later- and DS would latch onto language from the upsetting event. Then when he was upset he would use that language instead of using the scripts we were really trying to teach him to ask for help, identify his needs and emotions, etc. This is still a problem. He does latch on most to the emotionally charged language or the sing-songy stuff that often isn't so useful. Hmm.

Anyway, I will look into the shows you mentioned- Thanks!

I know the language was not what you wanted to teach, but was the language on point? The reason I ask, is that in our case, our son wasn't able to vocalize much of anything regarding emotions. So, in our case, I was actually teaching the dopey songs because it was an improvement. if it addressed the issue, and he liked it, we were good to go. It was more effective than my amateur attempts at propaganda social stories.

Example: Yo Gabba Gabba (I know it looks like an acid trip) had this little song about waiting in line and I still quote from it when I see he is getting antsy about waiting. He is able to vocalize now that he is bored, and it is taking too long, and all that; but I find singing "It is only fair to wait right there," brings the lesson back to him, and more importantly takes the edge off the waiting b.c it amuses him. I stopped caring a long time ago about looking like a fool for singing a baby song to an 8 yr old, and honestly I am sure people would prefer it to the kvetching not to mention a possible meltdown.

Now if your scripts are working for you, that is a different story. I can see wanting to stay the course. You can always try to review these things in advance and pluck out the ones that will add to, rather than detract from what you are doing.

setai
Raven
Raven

17 Apr 2014, 6:37 pm

My guy is 4 too. Yo Gaba is great( we use "you gotta wait your turn" song too) and so is Bubble Guppies if he likes songs. I don't know how facile your little one is with devices, but mine really is frighteningly good at finding stuff on You Tube. He taught himself most of the shapes and many nouns that we didn't realize he knew until ABA did flashcards because they aren't household stuff for us so they didn't come up.

Also, ABC Mouse is great for my guy, but you have to pay for that one.

ellemenope
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Apr 2014, 4:17 am

Yo Gaba Gaba is pretty cool- we watched it for the first time and I really enjoyed it! It totally could have been something I would have enjoyed in my substance-riddled adolescence too. No question where they come up with that stuff, that's for sure.

ASDMom the problem I was having with "emotionally charged" scripts was actually not them being used inappropriately- it was actually that the language itself was inappropriate. For example, in so many episodes of Word World (which my hyperlexic son loved since age 1 of course) the characters or items that are made up of letters get "broken"- some of their letters break or fall off. This is upsetting of course, and my son would get upset and for years now he has a script "Oh no! My monster broke!" that he says when he feels very upset. You can see why this is problematic.
We have watched Daniel Tiger too- one problematic script from there is from an episode about trying new foods and the little cat character doesn't like any of the vegetables so they are constantly asking her "How about a carrot? How about a pepper?" or something like that. Now when my son doesn't want to eat something or try something, he will say "How about a carrot? How about a pepper?" I have been wanting to KILL his preschool teacher who is complaining about he doesn't eat his lunch or snack (we are having major food issues lately) and saying I should put carrots and peppers in lunch because that's what he wants! Yeah. Try to give him a carrot or pepper. He does not want it.
The food thing is becoming a huge huge problem lately... the boy is surviving on air. I don't know what to do. A subject for another post. Sigh.

Anyway scripts are helpful for us, but they are also sooo problematic and I'm trying to navigate this fine line.

I'm so exhausted. :(

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 6:56 am

ellemenope wrote:
Yo Gaba Gaba is pretty cool- we watched it for the first time and I really enjoyed it! It totally could have been something I would have enjoyed in my substance-riddled adolescence too. No question where they come up with that stuff, that's for sure.

ASDMom the problem I was having with "emotionally charged" scripts was actually not them being used inappropriately- it was actually that the language itself was inappropriate. For example, in so many episodes of Word World (which my hyperlexic son loved since age 1 of course) the characters or items that are made up of letters get "broken"- some of their letters break or fall off. This is upsetting of course, and my son would get upset and for years now he has a script "Oh no! My monster broke!" that he says when he feels very upset. You can see why this is problematic.
We have watched Daniel Tiger too- one problematic script from there is from an episode about trying new foods and the little cat character doesn't like any of the vegetables so they are constantly asking her "How about a carrot? How about a pepper?" or something like that. Now when my son doesn't want to eat something or try something, he will say "How about a carrot? How about a pepper?" I have been wanting to KILL his preschool teacher who is complaining about he doesn't eat his lunch or snack (we are having major food issues lately) and saying I should put carrots and peppers in lunch because that's what he wants! Yeah. Try to give him a carrot or pepper. He does not want it.
The food thing is becoming a huge huge problem lately... the boy is surviving on air. I don't know what to do. A subject for another post. Sigh.

Anyway scripts are helpful for us, but they are also sooo problematic and I'm trying to navigate this fine line.

But, he *is* communicating.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 7:27 am

ellemenope wrote:

I gotcha. I have found no way around the idiosyncratic use of scripts. We had this too. I just got accustomed to translating for the uninitiated. This sometimes meant humoring suggestions like the one about peppers and carrots, just to prove to the person that I know what I am talking about. ;)

My son also had an issue with kids' programming --- too, and things would upset him that no one else would be upset by. I think he was upset with Word World for awhile when the words broke, but got used to it. He would have issues with Alpha Pig's segment on Super Why. too sometimes. I forget why. Mostly he liked it. Also, anytime anyone was interrupted whilst counting or reciting the alphabet...he would cry and perseverate. That was awful. They have to get used to that, though. In school he would perseverate when his HW worksheets routinely went up to "y." I would have to add a 26th math problem, which sometimes would be OK, and fix it, and sometimes make it worse b/c my letter did not match the others.

My son had issues with lunch in school, too. I don't know if this will help you, but I made "deconstructed" lunches. It turns out he did not want to eat "lunch" away from home, but snacks were OK. So, I would send him with those little cheeses in wax, two slices of bread, fruit, and juice or water, and voila, a deconstructed cheese sandwich lunch--I mean "snack." It was still healthier than the cr*p a lot of other kids had.

setai
Raven
Raven

21 Apr 2014, 12:16 pm

ellemenope wrote:
The food thing is becoming a huge huge problem lately... the boy is surviving on air. I don't know what to do. A subject for another post. Sigh. (

My little guy has serious food issues too. He will only eat plain crunchy food. If your guy will drink juice, V8 makes a 100% juice that is 1/2 fruit and 1/2 veggies, one serving of each. It is the only veggie we can get in him each day. I recommended it to another super picky eater(a NT girl) and it worked for her too.

It won't solve the larger food issue. But as a Mom it made me feel better that I got at least one serving of veg in his little mouth each day.