My Fanfiction: The Healing of Jack Patrick

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2014, 7:24 pm

What do you guys think so far? It is a work in progress.

http://cubeangel.wordpress.com/

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2014, 7:06 am

I will check it out. Do I need to be familiar with anything from the original before I read it?

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2014, 9:24 am

ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
I will check it out. Do I need to be familiar with anything from the original before I read it?

http://www.amazon.com/Tampa-Alissa-Nutt ... 0062280546
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17225311-tampa

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 8:17 am

Did you get chance to read it?

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 9:54 am

Not, yet. I am trying to get my curriculum ready for school, so I am kind of slow. I promise I will post once I read it.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 6:47 am

I read it. It is interesting. I am not sure what I think, exactly, because I may be missing things from the original. Jack Patrick seems too much of a blank slate (although maybe that is the intent, this early in the story--or because I did not read the original)

I understand he was victimized and is very passive, but every personality trait ascribed to him comes from Kat describing him, not from anything he does. You can't see he is intelligent, for example. You just hear that he is from Kat. Normally when doing character development from scratch the character needs to show who he is as opposed to others just describing him. It may be that it is b.c he is so wounded, and that he shows this later on in the story? I am also wondering if b/c you have a philosophical backdrop to it, I don't know if that is making you want to spoon-feed the audience certain points instead of showing them?

Some of it reminds me of that episode of Star Trek when Wesley meets up with the Traveler on that Native American colonized planet, and he becomes a demi-god. That is not a bad thing. Just an observation. I don't know how that fits in, yet b/c it is chapter 2. The new-age part may make more sense as the story goes on.

It is hard to evaluate something based on just two chapters. I know there are people who are trained to do it, but for me it is hard b/c my brain is trying to imagine the whole thing. I am awful at creative writing, myself, and I don't think i could write 2 chapters of anything.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 9:56 am

ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
I read it. It is interesting. I am not sure what I think, exactly, because I may be missing things from the original. Jack Patrick seems too much of a blank slate (although maybe that is the intent, this early in the story--or because I did not read the original)

I understand he was victimized and is very passive, but every personality trait ascribed to him comes from Kat describing him, not from anything he does. You can't see he is intelligent, for example. You just hear that he is from Kat. Normally when doing character development from scratch the character needs to show who he is as opposed to others just describing him. It may be that it is b.c he is so wounded, and that he shows this later on in the story? I am also wondering if b/c you have a philosophical backdrop to it, I don't know if that is making you want to spoon-feed the audience certain points instead of showing them?

Some of it reminds me of that episode of Star Trek when Wesley meets up with the Traveler on that Native American colonized planet, and he becomes a demi-god. That is not a bad thing. Just an observation. I don't know how that fits in, yet b/c it is chapter 2. The new-age part may make more sense as the story goes on.

It is hard to evaluate something based on just two chapters. I know there are people who are trained to do it, but for me it is hard b/c my brain is trying to imagine the whole thing. I am awful at creative writing, myself, and I don't think i could write 2 chapters of anything.

You would have to read the first book. Besides, this is mainly for me. It is to release certain negativity I have. I have no intent to publish or be anything serious with it. Actually, now that you mention the traveler that is my intent and the reason he is blank is because his mind got screwed as the years went by. Jack has become a shell of his former self. Consider that Jack exists in existence but is simply detached. It's just a beginning though. Imagine watching a movie but watching yourself just go through the trivialities of life without any color and you know rationally you control your actions but in a way it seems as though one is just an observer instead of an active participant.

Imagine Kat having a strong intuitive sense and she is able to peek into the very inner depths of his soul and sees the profoundness in him that he can't see himself nor does he even realize is there. In effect, Jack doesn't know that he truthfully knows. Even Jack in a few of the lines ask how she is able to see all of this. I guess she in some ways is sort of like the traveler and I think I will take it further to that direction.

Do you understand or am I really confusing you?

Last edited by cubedemon6073 on 08 Aug 2014, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 9:59 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
ASDMommyASDKid wrote:

You would have to read the first book. Besides, this is mainly for me. It is to release certain negativity I have. I have no intent to publish or be anything serious with it. Actually, now that you mention the traveler that is my intent and the reason he is blank is because his mind got screwed as the years went by. Jack has become a shell of his former self. Consider that Jack exists in existence but is simply detached. It's just a beginning though. Imagine watching a movie but watching yourself just go through the trivialities of life without any color and you know rationally you control your actions but in a way it seems as though one is just an observer instead of an active participant.

Imagine Kat having a strong intuitive sense and she is able to peek into the very inner depths of his soul and sees the profoundness in him that he can't see himself nor does he even realize is there. In effect, Jack doesn't know that he truthfully knows.

Yeah, that makes it clearer. I hoe my questions did not offend you.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 10:01 am

ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
ASDMommyASDKid wrote:

Imagine Kat having a strong intuitive sense and she is able to peek into the very inner depths of his soul and sees the profoundness in him that he can't see himself nor does he even realize is there. In effect, Jack doesn't know that he truthfully knows.

Yeah, that makes it clearer. I hoe my questions did not offend you.

No, they didn't offend me. What do you gather from it now that I explained further?

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 10:09 am

If I am understanding you correctly, you are using the fanfic as a vehicle for exploring different thoughts you have and you have intentionally made JP blank so that you can use the Kat character to --I am searching for the right word here---peer inside him and draw his traits out. Then you are going to have JP once he can recognize his own traits settle the duality (for lack of a better term) between Celeste and Kat who are opposite sides of a metaphorical coin. Maybe?

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 10:23 am

ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
If I am understanding you correctly, you are using the fanfic as a vehicle for exploring different thoughts you have and you have intentionally made JP blank so that you can use the Kat character to --I am searching for the right word here---peer inside him and draw his traits out. Then you are going to have JP once he can recognize his own traits settle the duality (for lack of a better term) between Celeste and Kat who are opposite sides of a metaphorical coin. Maybe?

Yes, you got it. Celeste screwed up his mind with her manipulations. Kat wants heal jack because she became drawn to him and fell in love with him. Kat is polar North and Celeste is polar south. Think of the concept of the earth being a sphere. Can one go so far up north that he starts going south. Kat and Celeste both have psychopathic traits but Kat's empathy and intuition is supercharged.

What do you think of my thought process, the way I think and my writing ability?

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2014, 6:58 am

It is definitely interesting. You did a good job of synthesizing different writing genres, which made it a very unique read.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2014, 9:14 pm

ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
It is definitely interesting. You did a good job of synthesizing different writing genres, which made it a very unique read.

It's going to sound strange to you but It's like the words come out and I'm not in control. What am I experiencing here. Whatever it is it is frightening and exhilarating at the same time.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2014, 6:30 am

It sounds like your subconscious brain is on autopilot and just has things it needs to get out, and you on a conscious level are scribing them. Do you edit/revise, or does it just come out like that?

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2014, 6:53 am

ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
It sounds like your subconscious brain is on autopilot and just has things it needs to get out, and you on a conscious level are scribing them. Do you edit/revise, or does it just come out like that?

Both, but mostly it just comes out like that. I wonder what my subconscious brain is trying to say.